What does it take to total a car?

I went full takumi in my car last night and smacked a pole and a mound of dirt, and now my front bumper, rear quarter panel, and door are pretty fucked.

The coolant reservoir or the radiator has a hole in it and is dumping coolant.

The car is worth about 8-9k I'd say but I'm worried they are going to total it.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

A car is totaled when the cost to repair it, surpasses the current value of the car

Repairs are more than the value of the vehicle

I understand that, but I guess I'm asking if any of you think the repair is going to cost more than the car is worth?

Most likely, body shops are a lot more fucing expensive than youd think. My gf crashed her 2011 camry, and to replace the front bumper with matching paint and shit was $600 fucking dollars for a piece of plastic with paint. Everywhere she went same fucking quote

A woman driver

It ain't just one coat a paint and a plastic bumper you dingus. The bumper is around 100 dollars. You are paying 500 dollars for the bumper to match the exact color of the original manufacturer paint, and the same amount of coats too. Takes almost a day too, so keep labor in mind.

That wasn't my point, my point is that its costs a shit load of money for bodywork. Imagine a bumper, quarter panel and a door. Plus the engine repairs he now has, maybe just need new hoses and a radiator. Im sure OPs car is only worth like 5k max

Hit a deer a while back, bumper, headlight, and radiator all had to be replaced along with fixing the hood and right fender. Cost 8k. Yours will probably be more due to the damaged body parts.

Totalling it is when you are doing a drag race and get every shift perfect but then right at the end you don't change lanes fast enough and hit a taxi and your car flips and then you are totalled and lose the drag race

Fuck you, impossible drag races in NFS Underground.

$600 is not a shitload of money, you fucking child.

Not him, but for something relatively minor like a bumper? That's a lot. Bodywork is an easy way to blow tons of money.

I caved in my bumper support once and did $8,000 worth of damage to a $4,000.
Everything between the headlights was pushed in about a foot.
The headlights themselves werent even damaged, so you're probably fucked op

What's the problem though
If it's mechanically sound, just fix the reservoir and do the legal minimum bumper repairs to get it roadworthy. Fix the door at your leisure. Turn it into some kind of beater offroad rally abomination if you can find a lift kit, lifted sedans are niche as fuck and almost always some kind of tight.

Painted bumper isn't minor. That's headgasket money and I'd consider that to be similar, if not more effort in labor depending on the car. You don't wanna pay $600 then just don't get the paint. Buy the bumper at the dealership for list price, get the clips, install it yourself, boom $200 max.

If you think that much is hard to come up with don't ever try to restomod anything, and stay the fuck away from chrome.

Well yeah, obviously you're paying for the hours that go into getting the paint matched properly. It's just that a tiny accident can cause big repair bills if bodywork is involved.
Like you said, headgasket money, but caused by a little fender bender.

its totaled
t. a person who has totaled 3 cars of varying value

So is that what happened to the LEASED AUTO FRS?

Or when you forget about the fucking train.

uhoh

THE FUCKING TRAIN

i hadn't remembered any of this

I'm gonna go play nsfu2 now.

>tfw my game gets stuck on the drift missions

this

or crash into a tree at 100MPH

>tfw last time I used one of those price estimate tools on my car, it gave me a negative number
>I'd literally have to pay someone to take this piece of shit off my hands
>it's probably right

Paint and waiting on parts takes for fucking ever, which is why its so expensive.