What are some good books to get into/learn cars and engines?

What are some good books to get into/learn cars and engines?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15461417/
rio2016.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/kokusai/1477549053/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wikipedia. Just keep clicking the blue words until you understand all of it.

The best answer you will read in the whole thread. Videos are nice, too.

alrighty. Still, I like books tho

>What are some good books to get into/learn cars and engines?

There is an archived thread that has links to various downloads of automotive books. Design, repair, theory, etc.

Torrents exist the illustrated book downloads since there's gigabytes of material to choose from. Check out the books on building, tuning, and repair.

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15461417/

thanks bud

All of Carroll Smiths books are good

Professional Engineer here whose built a small car from the ground up at one point.

There's only so much you can learn from books. Engineering is a data driven practice, and you need to experiment to actually get data. You need to build something, collect data appropriately, and test parameters.

It's also incredibly expensive, and requires years of experience in bean counting and failing.

Knowledge of manufacturing along with a bit of craziness can go a long way though, specifically in not being afraid of setting yourself on fire.

>All of Carroll Smiths books are good
Lots of books are available because people scanned them and uploaded.

Hopefully people will keep on scanning and uploading books. Then future car book torrents will add those new uploads to them.

I'm going to have to get that one in the OP now.

>It's also incredibly expensive, and requires years of experience in bean counting and failing.
fuck that.
just get a job developing engines. Then someone else pays the bills

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics - Milliken
Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed - Katz

How long have you had your PE license? Are you a mechanical engineer? Is it worth it to get a PE?

just over 3 1/2 years.
Started off as an engine performance and emissions calibration engineer.

So stuff like turbocharger selection, thermal surveys, heat rejection, endurance testing, vibration surveys, component validation, and all the emissions work to meet various standards. This involved designing tests, analysing data and supporting the guys in the test cells.
I've now moved into a Test engineer role, concerned primarily with production engine testing. I'll be starting a project to oversee the installation of a new test facility. But will also be collecting and analysing production test data, designing productions test and defining pass off limits. Shit like that.

I'd still be working minimum wage if I didn't step up and get that engineering degree. Best thing I ever did.

>Best thing I ever did.

Many people say that about education. So it's pretty sad that people don't have enough determination to even complete high school due to reasons like "dey dun rezpekt me" or "dey dun rezpekt muh culture".

>he thinks he can "tune" without knowing algebra, calculus, (P)DEs and kinematic pairs

>"just apply the formula, bro"
>"just turn it z degrees"

KEK

Shit I don't even know how to do a division how can I even build a car

You don't need to know how to manually do division without a calculator. The calculator makes you as good arithemetic-wise as a PHD or super genius. That is the advantage of tools. Just know how to use the tools properly and they make you far closer to being an equal.

A former friend of mine (we fell out of touch) was somewhat autistic and slow-witted. But he had great perseverance. He learned how to work on cars and eventually became expert at maintaining and even rebuilding cars. While I have a masters education in an engineering field, he is by far wealthier than I am. He owns several businesses now and his kids are now running most of them. He's now like the "chief manager" although the real head managers are his kids. Perseverance despite setbacks.

>being this naive
Plenty of great engineers don't know half of that shit.

You're talking like any of those things are particularly difficult to handle. Top tip, most decent highschools already give you a good grounding in basic calculus, and linear algebra

>Plenty of great engineers don't know half of that shit.
but it's essential in LTI theory

Hardly anyone retains that kind of knowledge for years and years.
As long as your familiar with the principles, you can do a little revision to get back into the groove.

But making a bullshit statement like all engineers NEED to know this that and the other is short sighted as fuck. Borderline retarded actually.

This shit taught me everything. Just buy a used copy also rebuilding a Honda lawnmower engine helped.

>archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15461417/

that links to KAT....

What are the three just to the left of that valve assembly?

I mean, he's not completely wrong. Having a firm grasp of the principles of calculus and linear algebra is essential if you're going to be doing much data analysis at all, or even something as simple as optimization. Now that doesn't mean you have to be able to derivate some exceedingly long function from memory like back in college, but you should be able to estimate results with rough calculations enough to know if the result got from matlab or whatever makes any sense.

>that links to KAT....
The magnet link is provided in the torrent thread so even if the KAT site has died, people are able to keep the torrent going.

"How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" -Harmann (publisher I guess).

It's very good if you want to understand turbo/super chargers and nitrous.

"Speed Secrets" is the best book I read on driving fast without corny pretentious shit.

On a side note, is there anything that will measure how much I jerk a car? Takumi's cup idea but digital.

One is a book of IMechE lectures on turbochargers, the other two are Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice (Volume 1 and 2) by Charles Fayette Taylor.

There's a load of "comics" as I call them to the right of the head cut through. SA books by the likes of greg banish and david vizard, engine airflow and dyno tuning by Harold Bettes, and some others I forget.
Also some copies of Race Engine Technology.

To labors

Let's toil for rich men and USA.

rio2016.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/kokusai/1477549053/