What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on the 1985 Nissan 300ZX?

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on the 1985 Nissan 300ZX?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nCXfXX8z8wQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Better drag coefficient than the z32 and it looks kinda cooler to some people. Other than that completely inferior.
Although I found out recently that they could come with a rare 200hp rb20det. That would make a pretty cool daily

Genuine interest, why do you hate Nissan?

Done a ton of research on them as far as chassis, suspension, braking, engine, etc...
All of it is of poor quality and design.
Yes i have owned a nissan. I can prove it too. Was a massive pile of shit.

Worse than an rx7. Also they look like an fb but worse.

>actually buying a ghosn nissan

I like the digi dash.

Beautiful car. Shame 90% of them are complete rustbuckets.

A very misunderstood car, but good for what it was intended for.
Lots of people buy Z32's expecting an 80's sports car with good handling.
Then become disappointed only to find out it's just a comfy GT highway cruiser and not a touge machine.

I have a z32 with bc gold coilovers and a big brake kit. It kicks ass on the touge and is still the comfiest car I have ever owned

damn that's sweet

>even has a voltmeter

not even modern cars tell you that shit

>chassis
Agreed kinda heavy and sloppy
>engine
Nowhere near the specific capacity of hondas of the time but were still well engineered and could hold boost. Especially the RB and the VG
>braking
Can confirm stock brakes are shit
>suspension
Coilovers are a must

Reliability is pretty god awful to. My z32 is inferior in almost every way to my ITR except for direct power output. However something about 90s nissans just appeals to me like no other car. Maybe it's the massive road presence, the huge cult following especially in my city, or just how all the faults make it human like and lovable. I love my Nissan dispite how much it hurts me

Meant for:

the z31 and z32 were nissans attempt to get away from sports cars and try and make a japanese corvette: a cruising car first, sports car second. except they gave it a engine that couldnt really deliver. the turbo vg30dett is as thirsty as a v8 but not really that powerful, was a tight fit in the z32s engine bay brakes would premiturely wear out. but once you replace the v6 with a american v8. it turns into the sports car it was supposed to be from the outset.

Suspension is more than springs and struts my friend.
>mods delete my pic
>allow alphonse to continue unhindered
Good job mods.

Fucking love them. Hoping to get a 2+2 NA as my first actual car. Cramped engine bay though, I hear.

>half hidden pop ups
>t tops
>wedge design
>light and airy greenhouse compared to a 3rd gen for example
>rwd
>digidash
> comfy

It's all I want. I figure I can spend around $3500 and get something that runs and I can fix the small stuff over time if need be.

Using searchtempest to look at the entire US craigslist shows that you can get running ones in pretty good condition for even cheaper than that.

How much? Haven't heard of searchtempest, I'm only looking at ones in my area (north California)

yes the engine bay you can barely get a spanner in there. very crampt. buget for a LS swap.

youtu.be/nCXfXX8z8wQ

On mobile so it's hard, but I'm pretty sure I saw a very good condition one for $1500 somewhere in the north east. Hopefully I'll have time to get on my computer and give it a look

Ah no don't worry about it man. There's quite a few sub 2k ones on my area but I'm just a bit leery of them.

pssh even the 70's s30 z's have analog voltmeters, they're always on though which is a little odd.

I'm gonna try and race you in my Mk3 supra turbo, blast sunglasses at night, and pretend it's the 80's if I see you at a stop light.

I'd be down for that. I'd get crushed though

Z31s are aesthetic as fuck.
I almost picked one up as my first car but couldn't get enough info on it to pull the trigger.
Personally would want a Z32 2+0 before a Z31 but I'd take the Z31 if I could find a clean turbo one.

What cars give a similar aesthetic to this car, but are actually better cars?

I am a Zee Dirty Juan owner, have pretty much dedicated my self to Z31s ever since I first saw one.

best drag coefficient of all Zs, .30 makes it compare to modern cars of this day.

Rb20 a shit desu senpai

You are gonna complain about the last car Nissan made of the Datsun era?
The VG Engine is GOAT but a pita to wrench because Nissan engineers decided to make both the Z31 and Z32 engine bays as tight as the girls they never scored. Suspension was mushy and worst in class for its era unless you got a Shiro Special, brakes were really damn good, Chassis was fine, Front struts were Eh and the IRS Sub frame was Eh.

Short wheel base, soft suspension, and obsolete IRS design results in Oversteer similar to MR2s. If you arent rolling through that turn you probably gave off the gas and your rear end is sliding.

Will never understand the unreliability meme Nissan gets. How about dont listen to the majority of the kids who cant wrench and drive broken cars? the KA in the S chassis is a great and the VG in the Zs are too, just know what you are doing. Same argument can scale to Rotary I bet.

not as good as z32

(obviously)

But that's pretty much what I think of them.

Literally just got one for $60. Needs a new tranny but I'm just stoked about the price

looks cool, nice car if manual and clean, slower than a v6 accord or camry.

Any Jap wedge, Or any other pointy Z car

You mean 600 or are you the luckiest SOB in the world?