Alright guys, I'm going to move somewhere with snowy winters soon

Alright guys, I'm going to move somewhere with snowy winters soon.

I've never driven in snow before.

How to git gud really quickly? I'm going to sign up for some classes and get winter tires. What else should I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_wVpcB6xPic
youtu.be/XDPDT9BXH68
youtube.com/watch?v=-xTGrfs5TXM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just use common sense.

Start in second. It's shit for your clutch but you get less wheelspin. Also don't be afraid to drive slow. Wait out snowstorms if you can, they suck to drive in and are pretty dangerous.

Give yourself plenty of room for stopping. Speed builds quickly and can be hard to stop on snow. Don't slam on brakes, pump them and keep the wheel straight. Keep an old rug in your trunk to put under tires, get some good mats and a good scrapper. Best of luck m8

All season tires are no season tires.
Don't brake while turning.
Easy on the gas pedal.
Stat safe and good luck

Go slow. Easy on the gas. Give yourself loads of room to stop. Resist the urge to go dagumi unless youre prepared to get stuck. Under no circumstance dagumi near other cars.

Momentum is more important than you think in snow/ice. Always keep momentum going, even by just slowly crawling up to a stop sign or red light. Never slowly drive up a hill, and engine brake going downhill with as little brakes as possible.

Also, WD40 your door jams before it starts to snow. Keeps everything from freezing around the door. Spray it on good, but also wipe it around the seal.

AWD: point the car where you want to go and step on the gas
FWD: point the front tires where you want to go and step on the gas
RWD: point the front tires opposite of where you want to go and step on the gas
NEVER: brake

Snow is easy.
Just don't go fast. Don't take turns aggressively with brakes or throttle, Avoid situations where you have to floor the throttle/brakes to get out of a horrible fiery car crash.

If you are traversing deep snow, just keep the throttle smooth and don't let go, once you stop you'll be there forever.

Basically don't be a retard, act like you're driving an aw11 on soap covered ice between two tram lines that have bullet trains constantly travelling on them.

Also give others space and avoid snow piles because they might be hiding big chunks of ice/rocks/debris

If you want to practise get on a frozen lake.

Conservation of momentum.

Understand that there is more than one kind of snow. Heavy wet snow you'll usually have some nice traction. The lose dusty shit when it's really cold when it snows will make turning/braking a tad unpredictable so don't be a an idiot.

>yurocucks don't know how to drive on snow

Cucks

>driving on simulated snow and ice covered roads is mandatory in north europe. Don't know how to power slide? No liscence
>most of yurop is covered in snow during winter
>quarter of yurop gets 1-2m of snow yearly
>yurop snow racing is popular
>if you google "longest ice road" it gives you the yuropean one

Driving in snow is fuckin easy. No quick movements, gradual application of gas and brakes, leave plenty of stopping distance between you and the car ahead. If your vehicle is equipped with traction control, it may help you when you're moving but will make starting from a stop hard in low traction environments.

Winter tires help, but they can only do so much.

No, start in first but shift like immediately.

S-now?
What's that?

>Winter tires help, but they can only do so much.
winter tyres are the difference between le ebin burnout and being able to get from point a to point b.

Having to drive my brothers car with summer tyres during -25c winter downhill that merged into the busy main road was the scariest thing ever.

Only way to slow down was to drive through snowpiles

This. Also, slowly letting off the clutch until it bites will get the car up to like 5 MPH without adding torque to make the wheel spin.

That's what I'm saying. However, if OP is a complete moron the best snow tires in the world won't keep him from treequinoxing.

Why would you do that? Move somewhere with less snow

Go to an empty parking lot and practice going dagumi

>not doing mad burnouts in snow

1) Go to Finland
2) Sign up for a Jokamiesluokka race
3) ???
4) Profids :DDDDDD

If you aren't in a 4 wheel drive off roading vehicle. keep yourself moving at all times, roll through stop signs if possible, and always go under the speed limit. Stick to the middle lane on highways, and don't drive if you don't have too

Get the car properly kitted with proper tires.
Which ones are you getting, and for what car?

When this is done you should try out the limits of your traction. Where does it slip when you turn the wheel to quickly, how does it brake, how much power can you give

Basically; every single performance aspect of your car is worsened. Your acceleration takes a hit, your stability is lessened, your braking distance is massively increased, traction breaking point comes a lot earlier and so on. You'll need to calculate your driving more than before, keep better distance and always be aware that the road may be twice as slippery in the next corner

1.) Longer following distance.
2.) Brake straight.

Find an empty parking lot and practice.
Feather the throtle, remember that stoping distance si bigger and that your car might go sideways or understeer if you are not gentle.

tää, but do they keep them in winters?

>jokkis

pffft, should go for the real deal

>MR2
>RWD
>snow
what

>I'm going to sign up for some classes and get winter tires

You're already better than a significant amount of people in Virginia.

it's rear/mid engine...

>snow

not snow, it's ice

actually, have a video as well bro
youtube.com/watch?v=_wVpcB6xPic

Find an empty parking lot and start drifting. Line up shopping carts and drift around them. Keep practicing until you can drift to with in an inch. This will prepare you for when your car gets sideways on the roads.

Pull your ABS fuse and practice threshold braking.

Snow/ice/blizzard accidents correlate directly with compensatory driving style usually employed by individuals with a very little (or lack of) dick and permit their cunt fever to override common sense that is expected to be employed even on dry roads.

Don't be a cunt, m8.

>guise im afraid ove snow plz help

Didn't realize there were so many females on Veeky Forums kek

winter tires do a lot for you. you'll do better than the retards with AWD and all-seasons.

better to be a whole woman than just a bleeding cunt like yourself

youtu.be/XDPDT9BXH68

>implying I'm actually finnish and understand what you guys just said (tää, jokkis)

Michiganfag here who used to drive for a living

get some equipment if you get stuck. I've got a 4x4 but still have a sleeping bag, come along, tow strap, hand warmers, folding shovel, oil, matches space blanket etc. everything that coulod get me through a night if I get stuck.

also, weight is your friend. get some sand in the trunk/bed of the vehicle.

take corners like you're racing. avoid turning and braking at the same time.

good tires are a must. they will save your butt

buy an ice scraper

if you have ABS make sure it works right

make sure your car's coolant is able to get to at least -25 degrees Fahrenheit.

give more space between other cars...obviously

ill expand on that and say:

heavy wet snow usually means the part below it is not frozen because the snow fell when it was pretty warm, it does grip your tires so you can turn easily and stop not so poorly

light dusty snow can be a problem yes, but mostly because under it is often ice especially if it's really cold. be careful about that

also, if the road commission is plowing the roads on a very cold day they often don't bother throwing down salt and only sand near intersections (maybe). when they plow a roadway on many cold days it builds up paced snow which is pretty much as good as ice or is ice. they blast off the snow and reveal a smooth surface, or the ice. this is REALLY dangerous. watch out for this. stuff like this happens if it's zero degrees or below for a few days in a row

also...rust proof your car...because...salt

m8 you don't exactly need the rosetta stone to decipher them
>tää
this
>jokkis
abbreviaton of jokamiehenluokka

I was just pointing out my Finnish LARPing

are you even drunk?

lol no I'm a teetotaler

lmfao might as well be an unic

>unic
What did he mean by this?

that's some poor larping then

You don't "pump" the brakes if you have an ABS system.

Drive how you think some fuck in a lowrider would drive.
youtube.com/watch?v=-xTGrfs5TXM
Nice and easy.

When it comes to braking, You cannot slam on the brakes because you will just lock the wheels up and start sliding.
If you apply enough braking power to slow the wheels down but not enough to overtake the gripping power of the road to tire surfaces. you will slow down no problem.

What do you mean?
You don't have a driving license yet?

All drivings schools have a slippery test, all the ones that should be legally allowed to exist that is.

you're gonna git killed