Jews had an Empire?

What happened to the empire of Khazaria? Tell me about this forgotten and not talk about history of a Kingdom called Khazaria.

Other urls found in this thread:

digitalcommons.wayne.edu/humbiol/vol85/iss6/9/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kazars are not jews.

Kazars are basically mongol-ish people who adopted Judaism

It was your typical run of the mill steppre empire

The nobility adopted Judaism

They got rekt by the Rus' and disappeared from history

>They got rekt by the Rus
You mean the Crusaders when they wen't across Europe to fight the Muslims?

>mfw when people think this guy comes from a turkic tribe

That makes them Jews!

>Jews, my son, yuo are men nao, yu must choose a homeland

>will you pick peaceful khazaria? Or the Palestinian desert where every Arab will hate you and cause you many wars?

>LOLNOPE, GIBS ME DAT DESERT,

Israel is an empire though

Dey wuz chosen n sheit

>peaceful
>Eastern Europe

Worked out great for all those Polish Jews

There's a theory amongst some historians that Ashkenazi Jews (the largesty majority of modern Jews) are actually descended from Khazars.

Originally the theory was suggested by Jewish scholars on the basis that it would make most anti-semitic racism against Jews to be completely illegitimate. Ironically it is now seen as an anti-semitic theory, as it suggests that most Jews do not have a historical claim to Israel. History is funny like that.

Their descendents are askenazis

False

>hand rubbing intensifies

Say what you will, but they were rekt by the Rus and they did disappear from history.

>Shlomo

Up until a few weeks ago( and now since I saw this guy) I thought Shlomo was an insult. Customer came in and when he told me his name I had to contain myself. At first I thought he was fuckin with me.

>is the name 'shlomo' used as a sarcastic stereotypical insult?

I guess I never knew what it meant and only ever heard it used negatively

Ashkenazi have a lot of European admixture, granted. But they are strongly middle-eastern and cluster very closely with other Jewish groups rather than the rest of Europe.

Here's Irene of Khazaria, a Khazarian princess who was married to a Byzantine emperor

Compare Irene of Khazaria to Israeli supermodel Bar Refaeli

Compare Irene of Khazaria to Jewish-American television personality Barbara Walters

Compare Irene of Khazaria to chairwoman of the United States Democratic Party Debbie Wasserman-Schultz

They might resemble this mosaic work with little detail, maybe. But I'm just telling you about the genetic studies.

Compare Irene of Khazaria to IDF (Israeli Defence Force) propaganda poster-girl. The shape of the face is strikingly similar.

Are you aware that more than 50% of Askenazi Levites have an R1a y-chromosome? Keep in mind that Levites claim to have a patrilineal descent from Levi.

>A 2013 paper by Siiri Rootsi et al. confirmed a Near or Middle Eastern origin for all Ashkenazi Levites, including the R1a Y-chromosome carriers, and refuted the Khazar origin:

>Previous Y-chromosome studies have demonstrated that Ashkenazi Levites, members of a paternally inherited Jewish priestly caste, display a distinctive founder event within R1a, the most prevalent Y-chromosome haplogroup in Eastern Europe. Here we report the analysis of 16 whole R1 sequences and show that a set of 19 unique nucleotide substitutions defines the Ashkenazi R1a lineage. While our survey of one of these, M582, in 2,834 R1a samples reveals its absence in 922 Eastern Europeans, we show it is present in all sampled R1a Ashkenazi Levites, as well as in 33.8% of other R1a Ashkenazi Jewish males and 5.9% of 303 R1a Near Eastern males, where it shows considerably higher diversity. Moreover, the M582 lineage also occurs at low frequencies in non-Ashkenazi Jewish populations. In contrast to the previously suggested Eastern European origin for Ashkenazi Levites, the current data are indicative of a geographic source of the Levite founder lineage in the Near East and its likely presence among pre-Diaspora Hebrews

Here I'll just post a source.

>we find that Ashkenazi Jews share the greatest genetic ancestry with other Jewish populations, and among non-Jewish populations, with groups from Europe and the Middle East. No particular similarity of Ashkenazi Jews with populations from the Caucasus is evident, particularly with the populations that most closely represent the Khazar region.

digitalcommons.wayne.edu/humbiol/vol85/iss6/9/

This is a little more exact than comparing celebrities to ancient mosaics.

Pretty sure there's only one requirement to fill in order to be a jew and that's to follow Judaism

This guy's an outlier, most Jews don't look as identifiably Middle Eastern

The Khazar Theory was developed by a couple Jewish dudes in the early 20th century and found some popularity because it explained why Ashkenazi Jews have European ancestry in a halachically appropriate way.

This is NOT Irene of Khazaria (born Tzitzak). This is Irene of Hungary (born Pirozka) who lived 400 years later.

This mosaic depicts Irene of Hungary together with her husband, John II Komnenos.

It's not just that, there are certain Turkic influences in Yiddish, which was thought to be a good way of explaining how they got there.

The capital city of modern Ukraine, Kiev, was founded by Khazars

Other towns of the Khazars, many of which also had important Jewish communities, included Kerch , Feodosia and Sarkel

A major brick fortress was built in 834 in Sarkel, along the Don River. It was a cooperative Byzantine-Khazar venture, and Petronas Kamateros, a Greek, served as chief engineer during the construction.

The Rus were vassals and then trading partners of the Khazars. Up until prince Sviatoslav's victory in 964 the Khazars had defeated the Rus and exacted tribute from the them.

In 964 an alliance of Viking sacked the Khazar capital, Itil (as well as Semender and Sarkel), and conquered and destroyed the Khazar empire -- the Khazar Khanate ceased to exist.

I want to light her on fire