Is AWD "cheating"?

Is AWD "cheating"?

Is torque vectoring "cheating"?

Is it fair for a RWD/FWD car to compete equally against both?

Other urls found in this thread:

topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-tgs-speed-week-special
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Yaw_Control
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution#Evolution_IV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes
yes
no

AWD=performance
RWD/FWD=sport

yes

literally can't compete

Nothing is off the table when trying to make a car faster. Not AWD, not DCT, not aero, not hybrids, not torque vectoring, not tires, not displacement, nothing.

>Nothing is off the table when trying to make a car faster.

What about making it "sporting"?

>FWD
>sport

Don't know bout you guys, but my friend in pic related got it figured out

>Guys, is a technology that's not used by everyone for different reasons, but it could be used if they wanted to, cheating?

That's how retarded you sound.

>ignored the last question

cherry pick some more plz

yes

it takes more skill/technique to drive a FWD car vs an AWD car

hence it is more "sporting"

Ever been to a tarmac rally fagget?

Is AWD an athlete?

>it takes more skill/technique to drive a FWD car vs an AWD car

Do you even know how AWD systems work? Last I checked, only the best systems compensate for shit driving technique and even those have limits to what they can do. AWD contrary to popular belief doesn't make you a better driver.

If it's like doesn't understeer too much. I feel like an athlete when I go into a slight bender at like 80 plus and I start doing zero counter drifting and power out.

>torque vectoring
>computer literally controls power to individual wheels to prevent over/understeer
>not make you faster

ok

What about making it more fun/enjoyable for the driver?

>evo3 can't even beat an underpowered 80's rwd toyota

At what stage did tagumi start using that hack gutter bullshit.

>tfw god takes the wheel

we shall make it to the promise land of the apex, my son

AWD is widely available and has been used from all the big manufacturers. If they chose not to, when others decided to use it, it's not the latter manufacturer's problem that the former chose to not implement it.

And newsflash, you're still retarded.

>AWD is widely available
no
>you're still retarded
you really like making assertions that you not only can't prove, but aren't true

AWD only makes a car better.

AWD makes a good daily a great one.

AWD makes a good sports car an amazing one.

Why do you think Subaru only make AWD (except the shit machine BRZ)? Moreover, why do you think people BUY their cars in droves?

To be fair, Subaru has the only proper AWD system on the market. FWD-based systems are completely worthless.

>He thinks torque vectoring can correct bad driving

If AWD was so powerful, I wouldn't be laughing my ass off everytime it snows and all these AUDI / Acura / Subaru driving dumb fucks throw themselves off the road because HUUUUUURRR IT'S AWD

>He thinks torque vectoring can correct bad driving
it corrects steering angle and cornering speed so technically yes

>AUDI / Acura / Subaru driving dumb fucks throw themselves off the road because HUUUUUURRR IT'S AWD
That's because most people don't change to proper tires for winter conditions- fact

Fwd based systems are superior in tighter cornering noob

Haldex is the first thing that comes in mind to widely used babby AWD

And since you claim you're not retarded, name 3 big manufacturers that have never implemented AWD in their cars.

cheating at what?

>I live in an area where winter tires are law mandated

Yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about.

>proper tires
>proper

You can still buy bad winter tires

It was in like the second or third race he did in the first stage

Just because something is available (for sale) doesn't make it accessible.
An LE Eco Corolla has an MSRP of
>$19,335

Name 3 AWD cars at or below the same price new?

>moving goalposts

Nice argument. I guess you cant find even one?
And the OP is talking about performance cars, not econoboxes.

>Implying AWD or torque vectoring are good

It's a perfect example of accessibility (what people can afford to buy) vs availability (what is for sale on the market)

AWD is not widely available if it's not in the same price range, common sense

RX9 should be AWD.

Only certain models of the Lancer Evolution have Torque Vectoring

Which model Evo is the one being raced user?

blown the fuck out

gm fangirls on suicide watch

This isn't an American series; they don't use gimped USDM shit.

This applies to all Lancer Evo models worldwide user

Only certain models of the 7-10 got the electronic torque vectoring. Go read up on it.

>FWD-based systems are completely worthless.

Except for the fact they're better in slick conditions. You know, what the main selling point of AWD is?

Every AWD WRC from Group A to the 2011 rule change ran front-biased torque splits. Post-2011 4WD WRC cars with permanent 50/50 splits still run more differential lock in the front when being used on anything but tarmac. Pulling the front towards the inside of a corner is more efficient on a slick surface than trying to push the whole car there with the rear.

Rear-biased AWD systems are only better at doing easy skids.

>proper awd system
>not 100% mechanical

choose one, I do't want some shitty viscous clutch deciding where to vector my torque with 3 seconds of lag, Ill take mechanical gears please.

first race

I'm sure all of your current builds could beat this 200whp, 3 year old, granny hatchback around a mid-dollar road course.

I'm sure you could, Veeky Forums.

what the fuck

>grasping at straws

>all tires are the same

lol

Drivetrain doesn't matter
All that matters is a car's fun factor or its lap times or its ability to run tracks for a long time.

topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-tgs-speed-week-special

All Evo 4s and higher (except in the US where it's only certain trims) have a torque vectoring rear differential.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Yaw_Control
>Active Yaw Control (AYC) is an automobile feature that uses an active differential to transfer torque to the wheels that have the best grip on the road (torque vectoring). Unlike traditional mechanical limited-slip differentials, an AYC is electronically controlled.

>AYC was designed by Mitsubishi Motors, first introduced in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV. It has been included in certain models of every subsequent generation, and was also used in the VR-4 variant of the eighth generation Mitsubishi Galant sedan and Legnum wagon.

>certain models

only the GSR or top tier models came with AYC

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution#Evolution_IV

>Mitsubishi's new Active Yaw Control appeared as a factory option on the GSR model, which used steering, throttle input sensors and g sensors to computer-hydraulically control torque split individually to the rear wheels and as a result the 10000 Evolution IVs produced all sold quickly.

>moving goalposts
wew lad

just log out

>all snow tires are the same, I swear!

no one would ever believe you

ignore highlights

>most recent WTAC was dominated by a RWD Silvia

btfo

>AWD makes a car better
no
>Why do people buy scoobs then?
because lesbians and manlets want "muh all wheel drive"

literally his first real race

dagumi is a cheating fuck.

It's too bad AWD doesn't make you a better driver.

But it was risky and takes a lot of skill to keep the car so fast around a corner that the inside wheel keeps afloat. Those gutters are very deep and would do massive damage if he fucked it up.

>why do you think people BUY their cars in droves?

Because lesbian grannies need to get around town too.

I have almost identical gutters on the hill that I live on, and let me tell you, it's not hard to "hook into" them, and it barely makes a difference under power. You're really better off taking a proper line at speed.

Have you timed yourself in both situations? Also do you the skills to drive the car at its limit? It's meaningless without scientific proof.

Then don't buy an AWD if you don't like it

I've always liked the AWD feel, especially being able to do shit/go track in winter.

in wrc prodrive does outfits all the fwd based cars
so they are of even footing