And the award for the stupidest engine design goes to

And the award for the stupidest engine design goes to.....

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0XbqHUAI-0
youtube.com/watch?v=cfQes2e2Ufg
youtube.com/watch?v=akOiuCZcDUQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GAA_engine
youtube.com/watch?v=1JETt0_nq3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Explain what's "stupid" about it

Rotary.

inb4 laptime and racing autism.

Motherfucking Audi.

All it is is a 6 cylinder. Sideways. 45° angle. No benefit. Just a sideways 6 cylinder

Yep, you have it all figured out, although you know absolutely nothing about engines just by seeing a picture you can determine it's "stupid" because it looks different than another engine you've seen

Oh ok. So remind me why you think its unique, good design, etc, fill in the blank

You said it's the stupidest. Now your position is it's not unique or good? It was made for packaging, it's not as tall as a normal straight 6 and the water pump is mounted much further back. They are very stout engines with a great reputation for reliability.

No, I was saying what do you think about it, that's what I meant anyway. Sorry thread police.
So they're reliable. What else.

bmw n52 is exponentially more reliable with a normal ass stance. I rest based on presented evidence

You don't like slant sixes because they're slanted ..? I loved the little slant six in my buddy's old Dart.

lower hoods you stupid fuck it let the cars be more aerodynamic it would take you all but 5 minutes to find that out

What else is there? It's a simple, reliable engine that has packaging advantage over a "normal" I6

>bmw n52 is exponentially more reliable
0/10

Guys, guys

Audi-designed 4-rotor with direct injection, turbochargers, and Magnetti Marelli did the electronics.

Switch Magneti Marelli out for Lucas and we have a deal.

>bmw
>more reliable

The Adams-Farwell Radial Rotary. It's also pretty much one of the coolest things ever seen

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0XbqHUAI-0

1st place goes to the Wankel.

if it looks stupid but works, it's not stupid

lmao yeah rotary alright, the WHOLE FUCKING THING ROTATES

And it doesn't fucking work, because those plastic chain guides and tensioners wear out when they're supposed to be a "lifetime" part.
Oh, the whole thing is at the back of the engine as well, because of packaging reasons. Have fun fixing that shit.

They are kinda stupid outside of racing, but they're not terrible for strictly performance applications.

>BMW
>more reliable than the leaning tower of power

You wish.

This is some weapons grade retardation here

You made a thread about how bad the 225 is, but you don't actually know anything about the engine other than its slanted....

Go ahead and just delete your thread please

This, people have gone over 300k miles before any major maintenance with them

I like the giant micrometer

It was just something to get it started.

bitches rip on the slant because they have inadequacy issues.

youtube.com/watch?v=cfQes2e2Ufg

lets rip on an actual shit motor. cobra engine. sheet metal copper and brass brazed to save weight and cost. short lived and 'tarded

powered crosley automobiles.

It was the wrong something nigga, they're dank engines and Chrysler was ahead of the game. Nowadays all straight sixes are mounted on an angle

shitposters BTFO

OP btfo

youtube.com/watch?v=akOiuCZcDUQ

>2016
>hating on the legendary hillside hemi
Ishygddt

Haha. Idiots. That slant 6 will still be running long after most of you twinks are dead and buried.

Actually it won't the manifolds and valve covers will rust out.
Mopar engines rust like they were submerged in salt water. If you look at Fords or Chevys from the same time period, they all look grimy but not rusty, not like Mopars.

Yes, but your opinion does not matter because you own a fucking Windows phone

Cortana gives better head than Siri or whatever the fuck is on android.
You sound pissed that i'm just dropping truth bombs 2bh.

People will always remember Mopars for rusting.

all that rotation and it runs smooth as silk. all things considered.

Don't buy 30+ year old cars from the rust belt and you won't have that problem

Doesn't matter where you are, mopars are rust buckets.
Not trying to disparage them but they rust hardcore.

In all honesty its impressive how few moving parts it has.

Its simplicity is beautiful.

this kind of shitposting gives away that you don't know much about older cars. You should stick to your 90's shitboxes

it's kinda cute though

>chains and chain tensioners
Why do people do this when we have gears

>that futuristic sounding whirr
>not a selling point

That still has a chain on it though lol look at your pic again

>talking shit about the Slant Six

That's not a chain.

if you are going to post bad american engines, at least post an actual bad american engine

the Trophy 4
>half of a pontiac V8
>literally, they just didn't add the other side
>shook like hell because no balance shafts
>underpowered

at least they're V8's and i6's were good,

see that thing behind the central gear? what is that?

Oh fuck I posted the wrong engine

vfr is based

VFR is RIP, courtesy honda

It didn't work well in cars because it was never intended to be used in them.
It was made to be a cheap, lightweight stationary generator for the military, and in that position it excelled.

you got btfo desu

literally 4 chains

oh fugg :DDDDD

>implying Ford didn't do that in the 1940's

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GAA_engine

Thats some Chinese grade engineering there.

Yep, I know, you need to take the engine out. Apearrantly also lasts longer (someguy told me you have to replace it at 200,000km, while "normal" engines need that taken care of at 100,000.

Also, his audi was a fucking lemon. It was an A6 3.0 quattro.
>rear lights went out
>he poked a hole into the bottom of the trunk, where the spare tire is
>water came pissing out
>CRAMMED with electronics
>each light H A S I T S O W N
C O M P U T E R
>key lock failed, couldn't start it

Damn it, come to think that fiats have a reputation for bad quality and it never failed me that much. But thats just beyond me how a that expensive car cen be so shit

>heavier than a koenenignog motor that is in a similar power range, also twice the amount of turbos and cylinders

VAG engineering at it's finest

>what are production costs
>what is an engine that has to stand up to stacy running it out of oil on her way to and from the nails salon

>implying Stacy drives a Veyron

>implying tyrone the rapper didn't lease her one

That's not a Wankel or the Polimotor.

Oh my god.

>that intake manifold

Jesus, how is that meant to fit under the hood?

>bmw n52
225 cubic inches of hemispherical straight six vs an under-engineered non hemispherical low displacement straight six bmw.

go tell your husband that and I'll be surprised if he doesn't knock you out for being so stupid.

It's a wedge head, man.

As pointed out
>225 cubic inches of hemispherical straight six
You're a fuckwit. The N52 has a more hemispherical combustion chamber than the 225 you nimrod.

A lot of WW1 planes used similar engines. They worked, they were just rather limited in potential.

Though one wonders how the fuck the rotary engine was even invented...it seems like a cartoon gag of am radial being incorrectly assembled.

>Hillside Hemi
Never heard of that one before. Got a Nice ring to it.

That picture was made on an angle. The intake manifold is basically horizontal, so it fits right under the hood. Retarded 90 degree curve under the carb is going to hurt fuel dispersion though.

>70 posts in
>no flat four

The Phase 1 DOHC EJ25 was absolute dogshit

Phase 2 is ok, they just used shitty OEM head gaskets, otherwise very simple and reliable motors with a few advantages

Looks steampunk and sounds like a warbird, I like it. Also checking those triple dubs.

It might look scary if you have never held a wrench :^)

I hold your mom's wrench :^)

That's the rear of the engine, cunt.

try the Hossack two stroke on for size

youtube.com/watch?v=1JETt0_nq3s

Wtf?

At least it has some decent power.

it might look scary if a plastic tensioner is no longer serviceable

How the fuck would you get the sealing right?
This freaked out two stroke must have more sealing problems than the first wankels had.