/rlg/ - Roguelike General

What do you mean this isn't 900' edition

DCSS 0.19 Tournament is over! Congratulations to team /rlg/ for an impressive 31st place!
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/

>Oook.cz Poschengband Comp
>(Shadow Fairy Swordmaster who starts with a Rune Sword in inventory, yes easy_lore and easy_id are on)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=197

>Nethack annual DevNull tournament is running until the end of November
nethack.devnull.net/

>IA 19.0 beta (9b12edf) Windows - with level-up crash fixed!
www20.zippyshare.com/v/SLn9DYZx/file.html

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/m2XDxPzz
archive.org/details/msdos_Rogue_1983
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

MiBe

Monks operate in that (kind of stupid) realm of gaining damage and defense by leveling up, whereas other melee classes have to hope and pray for the right gear drops instead. This is what makes barehanded classes so playable, is that there's minimal gear progression from 1-30 and they're all basically balanced around being the perfect killdude at any given level, but then you need to fill your resistance gaps post-30 somehow and make compromises to damage.

tl;dr MONKS ARE EASYMODO PLAY A REAL CLASS HOMO

SIR YES SIR PLAYING MY LAZY DEMIGOD SORCERER OF ZEUS RIGHT NOW

BETCHA COULDN'T BRING A SORCERER OF ANY RACE TO 35

I DARE YA
I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA
NO MAN CAN GAIN 35 LEVELS AS A SORCEROR

>post 30 PCB
as a yeek monk I get to level 15 once I clear the wargs.
Then I clear stronghold, and I get to level 20.
Then I do the tengu and death swords quest because of *acid.
Then I do orc cave, Labyrinth, ubbo and by then I'm level 30.

Then usually do forest, camelot and then smaug.

Then I kill myself because I even as a yeek the game becomes a slog.

does it give you a prompt if you accidentally try to leave the realm of pan while the rune on that particular level is still not picked up?

i'm sure you could scum up to 35 just by zapping hydras who can't fight back til 20-25ish then buying books with telepathy and resistance and scumming young/mature dragons

65% liferating might instadie to a cyclops though, hmmm...

I vaguely remember yes but it tells you when you enter that it's one of the 4 uniques. The demonic rune keeps spawning until you get it

yeah I always pay attention to see if it says it's on the level, just wondering if there's a safety net

great cleave is a fun feat even if it's kind of a waste and only useful against shitty nonthreatening enemies

killed 6 goblin things in one blow

also, check dat 176 damage crit at the end, holy shit

>8d12+28

also holy FUCK i keep losing my armor in Incursion because the game automatically takes it off and DROPS IT when you sleep and i forget to pick it up again

>Not sleeping in full suit of armor
>Standing upright
>With weapon at the ready

lmao

>Not pounding iron spikes into the walls and ceiling then using your spare counterweights and ropes so that you are constantly attacks the air around you while you sleep

i was wearing a blessed +3 suit of augmented plate

but i lost it somewhere and only noticed i was running around naked when i got gangbanged by more gremlins and died

im gonna splat a sorc

pickin demigod of hades because ohgodwhyistheirhpsolow

i think I'm gonna cry

this is all that I deserve

that's a lotta books

are you the user trying to do hell instead of just going zot and getting your first win

if so, yeah you deserve it

>Mnoleg
>Not dropping angels and cleansing flame
>Pan with 4 int
You could have just worn a ring of int or randart. You're above GDA weight and plenty of dex for a good ratio of ev

tear me a new one if you must, I have already lost...

pastebin.com/m2XDxPzz

I had a moment where I could choose to leave the floor and the rune forever

I didn't take it

Helping out Craft monks a bit.

why would i do quests or enter the starting dungeon when i could just go south and spam my magic missile macro at hydras

if you're the sorc, it's just a small reduction to your mana pool. You probably still want to wear it?

What's the rules for sorc armor and casting stat?

armor encumbrance just lowers max sp the more it weighs
most classes have a weight buffer before they start getting penalties. sorcs have a really low one so wearing anything that weighs anything will reduce your mana pool

sorcs also have -50 to ac and lmaonohp, so you probably shouldn't get into situations where your armor matters in the first place

casting stat is chr

Int good for anything then?

int affects device skill, aka failrate with wands/staves/scrolls

not so valuable early but important later on, especially for high level shit like _destruction or _genocide which will have huge fail chances for a 3int barbarian warrior

int still helps your devices, though sorcs are already pretty good at that

use summons/pets/meatshields/wallofstone whenever possible to tank or prevent damage for you

I remember posting something last thread to the tune of,
Don't go postend before you win. It is not because postend is hard. It is because most people who do this die like literal (literal) retards (brainless mibe) or something equally stupid when you could have easily won and got the moral boost from that and played 15 runes another time. The game isn't going anywhere and winning without all the runes is still a win. You can always come back later, but overeager you finish your run too soon in the wrong way, like a premature ejaculator. And no one is happy.

I fear you won't even learn from this.

>XL 10
>***...
>42 INT

I feel like maybe going Chei was a bit overkill. Which god would it be worth dumping Chei for?

It's really not. Chei is great for nagas. Stay the course.

chei str+int lets you wear armor so you can notdie and cast spells simultaneously

My current armor has *Contam. Supposedly you can quaff cancellation but I tried that last patch and it didn't work.

I just can't understand what's the point of winning with only three runes, especially on something like a MiBe. So I won, great, now what, I go win even better?

to me it just feels redundant to win with three runes because you didn't really win in the sense that you completed the game. you just reached a milestone and a conclusion to add legitimacy to your score, something I don't really care about personally. meanwhile all the demons of hell are laughing at your pansy ass as you squirm out of the dungeon

I try to play without much spoilering so I still kind of consider the realm of zot the pinnacle and probably the hardest area (ziggs probably actually are but whatever). I don't wanna know what lurks down there til I can walk down as the king of the dungeon. diving in and sneaking away the orb with three runes feels like thief/rogue kind of run (which is cool and all and I'll try to do it once my octopode stabber can get past D:4) but it's not something I wanna do as the the realest nigga to set foot in the pit. that's more roleplaying though I guess

You can cast Shatter/Tornado while by Lair:1 while Firestorm/Glaciate takes a liiiiitle bit longer probably by Lair:2 but if you ask me if it's overkill, it's not. More like, you're gonna need it.

>And no one is happy.

oh I'm happy man

it wouldn't be the same sort of satisfaction if I got the orb with just three runes, wondering what might have been. splatting sucks ass but that's part of the struggle. journey not the destination yadda yadda

to me it just feels redundant to win with three runes because you didn't really win in the sense that you completed the game. you just reached a milestone and a conclusion to add legitimacy to your score, something I don't really care about personally

winning 15 runes isnt completing the game either

don't enter zot until you've gotten 15runes with every combination of race+class and ascended a mumo, a loremaster, a DUHZ, that dumb kenshirou challenge, and a top-100 speedrun

Zot is fun. Since you're going to die anyway you might as well have some fun.

Fuck off 100k turncount 3 rune gargoyle. Your shitter attitude is the reason you only have a 1 digit or a >A FUCKING DECIMAL win"""""rate""""".

we set our own expectations and boundaries and it doesn't matter because we're grown men playing video games

if doing every single retarded combo to 15 runes is completing the game to you, cool bro. winning with 15 runes is just about completing the game to me but we all have our opinions, man

is it fun or is it ___FUN___?

like, theme park kind of fun or dwarf fortress kind of fun

You can literally just start another run.
>completing the game
This is just a boundary you are making up since you can't really complete a roguelike. By nature they are designed for multiple playthroughs.
If you mibes want to keep losing boring combos I guess that's your perogative though.

You haven't lived until you've fought the enemies unique to Zot. Especially ORB

>ORB

I've only heard whispers, a-are they real

>This is just a boundary you are making up since you can't really complete a roguelike

...but I could've (attempted to at least) and chose not to, because that particular achievement doesn't attract me, why does this trigger you

completing it takes the romance out of the goal man. the whole reason I like roguelikes is because the end seems impossible to reach. it's a god damn myth. someone tells me "oh you can take these three runes and go maybe win now", it's like why would you ever try and take the shortcut? it just undermines the mystique

>edition
Fuck you too, dumb rougelighter.

With the apport changes, haste removal, and cblink nerfs orb ninjas a lot more shit than it used to be. You can do it but there's no real reason to over just being able to kill

After getting 15 rune wins a couple times I've never looked back. Extended is just tedious, not hard.

Virtually everybody who didn't make a new account or learn offline has a small win rate.

>but there's no real reason to over just being able to kill

can you help me with this part

to kill orbs of fire, reduce their "hit points" stat to zero

i think liches work the same way but then again they're undead so who knows

that 'to' fucked me up, I get what you're saying now

Like I said. It's your perogative.

The greatest moment of my life was when some guy was making his first trip into Zot on /v/, being extremely smug and bragging about his broken armor and randarts, saying the game was easy

I was like "watch those orbs bro" and he was like "hahaha whatever"

15 minutes later he's begging us for help with most expendables gone and mutated into oblivion

Please don't respond to bait and shitposting /rlg/!

*prerogative

you're welcome

look it up

look what?

am I the only one that plays roguelikes like this? I see you negroes winning all the time and here I am almost not wanting to win

I dunno man if I wanted to try and find the most optimal unorthodox builds I feel like it just kinda becomes a spreadsheet simulator. just grab your shit, head down into the dungeon, do what you think feels best, and splat horribly soon after

I know what a purrrrrogative is nigga, end urself for omitting the first r

Stuff you don't agree with isn't bait or shitposting

The first post he responded to wasn't shitposting. The latter was lol u tk him 2da bar| tier.

Thanks. I always forget.

Probably not. "Just go win" wouldn't be common advice if other people didn't do the same crap as you.

but they do it through avarice, not romance, user

>romance
>scroll up to see which board I'm browsing
>Veeky Forums - Video Game Generals

romance as in the desire for drama and storytelling, not sticky icky gross romance

And made brands/etc apply to innate attacks as well ( they turn attacks without effect into branded ones. )
I still gotta adjust values and whatnot. Plus make vampiric effect to work ( could probably do it with proper effect-replacing. )

Romance and avarice are pretty deeply entwined user.

nay, just the opposite. the avaricious gather quantities while the romantic seek qualities

So... basically the same thing? Take your normie horseshit with you to

what're you talking about this is advanced autism

do I actually not understand what avarice is?

>extreme greed for wealth or material gain.

nope that's what I thought it meant

Yeah okay lad.

I guess they are entwined but they are rather opposite still

Did stuff like craft spells just not work with unarmed attacks before this change?

Mana branding didn't, monks couldn't even learn it.

Innate attacks didn't get any benefits from brands, either. Now they can get the regular brands via spell or rings ( slay human/slay good from Nazgul rings ).

Actually, I probably should make those apply to monk attacks, as well, but I gotta bugger off to sleep.

Yeah elemental effects on innate attacks seem way more powerful than normal brands. That shit's going from 175 to 448 damage per turn.

>try playing poschengband again
>get attacked by a sparrow in town
>kill it
>TRIUMPH.jpg
>a raven swoops in and rapes my shit

>doomrl will never be updated ever again

hey anons, how many survival roguelikes are there?

>umber hulks aren't detected by telepathy
welp, sorc dead

i just sat there chugging !curing and !ccw hoping to have one turn that I wasn't confused so i could tele away

why are staves of teleport only in the blackmarket again

It's Sorcery Sunday! Remember to cast lots of spells!

spellcasting is for faggots

t. mibe

1, archive.org/details/msdos_Rogue_1983

Cause scrolls of detect monsters aren't?

>level 19
>99 HP

good lord, that's not okay
not okay at all

yeah that was fault
i even knew they were around
i just didn't telepathy didn't work so i wasn't casting nature awareness

also note the negative ac

t.Qazlal Praise nature!

What's the easiest way to cheese levels for a really garbage character? I got to 25 using ogre bands and the anti-magic caves guardian trick that was mentioned here earlier.

Trying to get a hex mage up to 35 to metamorphose.

Zap hydra i nthe swamps
Zap young dragons in the mountains
Zap larger dragons in the mountains

Are there any tips to not die in IVAN? I keep dying to random bullshit that doesn't even remotely specify to when or how it happened. The pasta is useless btw

Exploits

can you fight dragons? go fly around a mountain

will do

>larger dragons
Sadly I don't think 1d18 poison damage, 33 cold damage or flailing at it with mage melee is going to cut it.

This class has nothing offensive.

All kinds of WANDS

Why does the hex class even exist.

fuck does 900' or x' even mean