FUCK RUST

Why aren't cars made from Stainless Steel?!

Other urls found in this thread:

hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2010/11/Stainless-Sensation---1936-Ford-Tudor/3692561.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>his car rusts

lel

Fun fact Mercs still rust to this very fucking day.
>quality

cost, cost, and cost

Also, I forgot to mention that aluminum is typically cheaper than stainless. So if they're willing to deal with the extra cost for corrosion resistance, you might as well use aluminum and get a weight savings as well.

Fuck your heavy steel, carbon fiber is where it's at

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but is aluminum another possible alternative? Take example of this Ford truck here. If i'm correct, it's immune to rust but can still corrode or something along those lines

>his car's chassis and body aren't galvanized from the factory

My benz has a bit of rust on it's fenders
A lot of them here have rust all over the body
Stop talking shit

Aluminum can still corrode, yes, but it doesn't get red and brown like steel, sort of gets gray and blotchy. Imo the best solution is galvanization, my vulva has lasted 22 years in new England without losing a single floor panel thanks to based galvanization

>mazda faggot detected

Galvanic corrosion is a shit with aluminium, use titanium instead!

Welderfag here
Steel is strong, cheap, easy to work with and can be made rust resistant with paint.
Stainless varies by what other elements have been added to the steel to create a rust resistant alloy. More expensive and harder to work with.
Aluminum is an entirely different element, that I'm sure a chemist could explain better. It's strong for it's weight but isn't easy to work with. Aluminum doesn't "rust" because when exposed to air it rapidly forms a dull layer of oxidation that acts as a barrier to further oxidation.
TLDR: steel works, use it

Finger prints.

So that means Audi's are good?

Audi B3 and B4 models were galvanized from the factory so they rarly rust. Back in the day Audi bought almost all the zinc in europe for their cars

What about rust converters?

Got a mx5 trunk filled with rust and a little on a rocker panel. Is the converted material durable like the original steel? My biggest worry is if i use it on the trunk and i hit a bump, the material will shatter leaving a hole in my boot

But then there will be no reason for sheep to buy a new car?

Can confirm, also a welder fag

Rust converters do work but you need to be thorough. The material does add some strength and won't flake like rust does but it's not like you're completely removing the rust and welding in a new piece

I still see tons of old Volvo's on the road, but vulva never rusted.

Glad to hear your vulva is in good shape.

Your vulva? What the fuck am I reading?

>Why aren't cars made from Stainless Steel?!
There are five major reasons.
1. Cost.
2. Availability of alloys to make stainless will be depleted and affect non-automobile usage of stainless for other purposes.
3. Dissimilar materials defeat stainless thus everything has to be stainless which is impractical.
4. Duplication of factories is neither practical nor affordable as rustable steel version cars still need to be manufactured.
5. Cost.

The huge problem about mounting dissimilar metals continues to exist such that galvanic corrosion defeats the purpose of stainless steel. Otherwise, you'd see the 3rd party market offer stainless steel fender replacements for most cars. But you do not. Why is that when it would be so lucrative you ask? Well, stainless steel is still subject to galvanic corrosion from salt.

Audi made (makes?) the A8 in aluminium, all the ones that pop up in my area look totally clean for corrosion. There was also one small Euro car from the 90s that was made in Aluminium, but they dropped it because it was too expensive to make.

Most Euro manufacturers with any respect for themselves galvanized bodies back in the 80s and 90s, they had to stop due to enviromental reasons afaik. No faith in the Audi way of doing it, how many Audis from the 80s and 90s do you still see around? BMW did it too, but usually they rusted anyways due to poor design of water drains

Go back to whatever faggot board you came from.

But it is...

I would hope you still have your vulva at 22

Learn2Google and Learn2History

hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2010/11/Stainless-Sensation---1936-Ford-Tudor/3692561.html

TL:DR Stainless steel much harder on body-stamping dies

My Mercedes is mostly aluminium but the sills, front bulkhead, A pillars and chassis rails are steel. You don't often come across rust as the steel bits are galvanised but you do see bubbling around panel edges from aluminium corrosion.

Also, it's apparently a lot more expensive to do bodywork repairs on aluminium panels.

Too brittle and no weight savings.

Aluminum is the best tradeoff. Carbon fiber doesn't weather well and it shatters.

Pick up a piece of stainless steel sometime and you'll understand why.

It has the same weight density of mild steel - as do most steel alloys.

All steels are assumed to have the same density unless you're counting fucking grams over several tons of material because they're so close together.

Stainless isn't that brittle unless you're using shit alloys for something thin like a knife.

This, it work hardens like a mother fucker which makes it hard to forge cheaply because you have to replace the dies all the time. Same for trying to machine it, if you let it heat up you'll break tools left and right.

Also confirming these as a machinist fag.

It's in pretty good shape for a 22-year old vulva, not too much required in the way of repairs, and if there is something that needs to be done I can get away with putting it off because the thing doesn't give a fuck.
>Inb4 bread on labia