I believe in the internal combustion engine. The electric automobile is only a passing phenomenon

I believe in the internal combustion engine. The electric automobile is only a passing phenomenon.

Other urls found in this thread:

eia.gov/beta/international/data/browser/#/?tl_type=p&
eia.gov/forecasts/steo/report/global_oil.cfm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>using a fuel source that's going to run out in 50 years
>NOT a passing phenomenon

>+50 years onto your age.
>76 years old

I won't give a fuck at that age desu.

>going to run out in 50 years

Ill be dead in 50 years

could not care less

My point was something has to replace ICEs, not necessarily electric motors

>mfw nuclear fusion powered McLaren

>something has to
Why? If there's a better option, then it will eventually replace ICEs in the market. Otherwise, ICEs work fine for most things they do.

You don't know how supply and demand works.

Current worldwide consumption of oil 1.3 trillion bbls

growth in proven reserves between 1% and 5% per year.

So I wouldn't worry about oil running out too soon.

eia.gov/beta/international/data/browser/#/?tl_type=p&

eia.gov/forecasts/steo/report/global_oil.cfm

>all the plebs drive unkillable EV shitboxes

>enthusiasts drive glorious gas cars
what's the problem

Adding onto that, ICEs will remain available long after something "replaces" them. People all around the world still ride on carts pulled by horses.

Still a finite supply and the new stuff they keep finding is getting harder to get.

Saying that they'll keep on finding oil deposits indefinitely is dumb.

Horses need grass, grain and a guy with a shovel to muck out their stables. Things which are replenishable.

Saying we will "Run out" in 50 years is also dumb, and demonstrably false. 1 billion / 1 trillion implies 1000 year supply at current rates, less if growth in reserves outpaces growth in supply, more if growth in supply outpaces growth in reserves. Also, reserves already fluctuate on price; higher price implies that "technical" reserves become "proven" reserves. Now, the resource is certainly an exhaustible one, but that doesn't mean we will ever really run out, more likely we will transition to an alternative fuel over the long term.

The conventional model (look up Hotelling Extraction) actually predicts a fairly slow transition

From historical trend, it is far more likely that an alternative tech (with higher energy concentration) will displace the ICE. In home heating we have shifted from wood and cow dung to coal to natural gas and electrification (often also powered by coal and natural gas through the utilities grid).

If new tech does begin to displace the ICE, this could lead to either more expensive fuel (given a reduction in economies of scale among extraction and processing) or cheaper fuel (given a reduction in demand as new tech displaces internal combustion). I suspect the latter... but nothing dramatic for a while yet.

This seemed wrong when I wrote it, so double checked and I was way off. 1 billion bpd, not per year.

So 365 billion / about 1.6 Trillion = 50 years.

Other points still stand though, likely that new tech will displace over time before we run into a crisis. I totally expect that there will be a way to find gas as an ICE enthusiast in 2060 or even 2100 (unless it has been outlawed by then).

* 100 million bpd. not 1 billion bpd. Apparently I can't keep track of magnitudes today.

lately there has been alot more prospecting for deep sea drilling and oil sands
at some point petrol will become uneconomical

>alternative fuels (ethanol) don't exist

Depends on what people are willing to pay for it, and what happens to the cost of extraction. Shale oil and oil sands are already way cheaper than they were 20 years ago.

Again, not suggesting we will never run out, but a claim of "uneconomical" requires a qualification.

There is also a huge issue with alternatives to diesel fuel in agriculture. I am not aware of any plans to replace diesel tractors with an alternative any time soon.

why not just run everything on e85?

most vehicles would only need small modifications and a tune.

power the ethanol plants with renewable energy.

this. as long as ice cars arent outlawed i see no problem with electric or even self driving vehicles in the future.

No, something has to replace rotten dinosaur as the bang.

>mfw people don't know that both the battery and the electric motor are older thann the ICE
>there was a competition between eletric and fossil over hundred years ago and fossil won

But hey, keep falling for the marketing gag.

Is that Clarkson?

Lithium and Platinum are also finite.
>b-but Elon Muskā„¢ said he can build a super battery from cheese.

hydrogen powered cars are the future, baby

>internal combustion engines can only run on fossil fuels

EV tards are this dumb

Your batteries are far more finite than carbon, which we are developing cheap recapture/reuse tech for already - and faster than we can improve batteries.

ICEs are not being replaced. They may be assisted, but not replaced. Notwithstanding unreasonable bureaucrats trying to force unnatural and less than ideal circumstances, of course.

Fossil fuels might be gone though.

clarkson and hammond

>ftw no steam car

the future looks like this

Turbo E100 engines for rare private vehicles, with nanomachines son producing most of the ethanol burned from atmospheric Co2

Batteries and power lines for electric public self-driving shuttles, trams, and trains. Since they're public or corporate transport, proper battery maintenance and recycling can actually be handled efficiently, making range, lifespan, and sustainability a non issue. All you have to do is not own a car and put your freedom of movement in the hands of people who may not have your best interests at heart. It's all part of growing up!

>Since they're public or corporate transport, proper battery maintenance and recycling can actually be handled efficiently, making range, lifespan, and sustainability a non issue.
the sad thing is that gender studies dropouts actually believe this.

What does demand and supply have to do with reserves of oil you retard? Demand and supply graphs show how much of a good a market produces in response to demand and the price that good is sold at.

>TFW your great grandfather was an actual teamster
Progress can go fuck itself

Shoo shoo, Luddite