First time posting on this board, I usually stay at home on /k/...

First time posting on this board, I usually stay at home on /k/. I'm looking for a winter vehicle (I live in Iowa) and I'm kinda digging the jeep Cherokee XJ series. Not trying to spend a ton of money since I did that with my main car. How do you guys feel about this guy?
Pic related-dude is asking 7500 but I have him talked down to 6500...

>winter vehicle
>$7500

The fuck? Buy a 300 dollar beater

Honestly sounds too much considering it's a 20 year old car.

My friend (we are in NC) got a 97 grand cherokee for 3500 3 years ago. Hes put 100k on it so far and only had to replace the radiator.

4" lift though and brand new 31" tires...completely under coated and only 135k miles on it...

>spending more than 2 or 3k on a winter beater

lol, shit i mean if you have the cash for it then go for it.

6500 is still to much. What brand lift, what other mods. That would be about a 4000 jeep in Pa

I don't want to come off as a dick here, but my financial situation is a little better than that. I don't want a "beater" in front of my house...

Can't recall the brand off the top of my head...I know it wasn't a rough country though. The price seems pretty much in line for similar vehicles within a 500mi radius of me...

Fuck Jeep. 95 4Runner or earlier. Anything newer than 95 has the shit new tailgate

Buy a Suburban and shut the fuck up.

2k will get you a 4x4 luxo barge on a truck frame. 3k will get you one with low miles.

Jeep XJ is a great suv and a fantastic winter beater, but 6500 is just too high. I wouldnt pay more than 3k for one, and ive dailied an XJ for years.

Where do you live to get them that cheap?

My friends and i normally can pick that xj up for about 3500. If it has some rust or higher miles like 2500. Its all about location.

I have one up for sale for 4k right now.

OP that's a nice jeep buy it. These Veeky Forumstists can't tell the difference between a clean cared for 90s xj and a beat to shit 80s.

Post cl ad, I want to see this

Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks man!

>XJ
>$6500

Jesus fuck

Shit yeah. If you want bullet proof reliability, you can't beat a well-maintenanced Cherokee for the price. A Subaru on winter tires would probably outperform the Jeep as a daily driver, but you can also wheel the Cherokee, so win-win.

Pic related; I've got a Suby and a Jeep.

>jeep xj
>90s car
>7500 usd
Dealership confirmed. Normal people sell these things fo $2500 with high mileage. $1000 if you wait 3+ months to find someone desperate to sell.
And the only thing that breaks on this stuff is

Save money to replace the radiator and you'll be fine. This breaks the most often but if you're looking for winter beaters, then the radiator might not be that big of an issue.

If you have fucking $7500, spend it on a good, modified wrangler that you can also play with in the winter

not everyone is a poor nigger like you user

Fucking wranglers are double the price of XJs all day

I just bought a ZJ for $750 and spent $250 putting a new radiator in it. That's the kind of money you should spend on a winter Cherokee.

>ZJ

You paid too much

Yes. Yes they are. And TJs without body rust are 3-4x more expensive than the old XJs.
If he could get an XJ for $2000, he should be able to for $7500, get himself a really kick ass TJ that's as reliable, 5x more fun (subjective), and modded to go off roading a bit so it could handle snow better.

Do you have pic? I think I remember you from the /offroad/ threabs. :E

Offer him 5k.

Or a k5. Same concept, less seats.

Xj's are good trucks. Pretty much the most reliable vehicles on the road, cheap, easy to fix. The 4 liter Inline 6 isn't super powerful, but is reliable and makes good torque at low RPM. I've heard the cooling systems can be problematic, but are easily fixed. They do tend to rust, so if you're going to be using it as a winter vehicle, please be careful with it, wash it and or put some kind of winter - proofing on the underside, as these trucks are getting hard to find in decent shape. Make sure the 4WD works and the motor runs cool and it should be a great truck.

If your spending that much why not just drive your car and replace it sooner?

midwest

I'm in Iowa too my dude I assure you you can find a similar xj for around 4K I haven't paid over 1.5k for either of the xj' so bought but they are also very high mileage and a bit rusty but damn do they run good

Pic related is my current xj with 325k miles

The price is a little crazy, but a Cherokee is a good choice

I have literally never heard of the radiator being a problem on XJs. What problem did you have with yours?

Offroading puts a compressed strain in a shorter time frame on the engine and apparently the old Jeeps never caught up with the demand for off roading built carb issues. My parts fabricator has often replaced old aluminium rads for more high capacity stable copper / bronze. this is apparently also an issue in higher temperature climates but also hard when the coolant temperature sensors are off mark. This causes issues when going from -20C in the Canadian winters. Also happens when it's over 100 000k

I've personally never owned a Jeep (hopefully will soon) but can osmosis information when you offroad with Jeepfags ALL. THE. TIME. (muh jeep has 7inch lift. muh jeep has duratek ramjet ferrari carbeurators. and so on and so forth).

V A P O U R L O C K W A V E

Where at? I'm in Sioux city...let me know if I see anything...

Nice!

thinking of picking this one up.

what do you guys think?

should i pick it up as a winter beater?

hell yeah, that's a deal

Nice! Teach me how to haggle $7500 down to $1500, please.

Monitor the OBD, check the vacuum tubes (as old off roaders have cracking sometimes) and the frame (that they make a straight line without structure dilapidation), and you should be good to go. Check the OBD for no issues as well and looks like you'll be the owner of a Jeep C.

>Teach me how to haggle
find a better seller

so you're telling me that if i paint my Jeep red, the price will depreciate by 5x the amount?

kitkat pls

(my Ranger has a red passenger side mirror that was painted black but Veeky Forums blocks my mobile IP address so I can't post the picture despite it being very relevant here)

I'm in Cedar Rapids so we're a bit a ways from each other

probably not, but if you aren't getting any bites you might need to change something

i-i-it was a shitpost

Sold my 4.0 xj for 1250 today in driving condition

Oh by the way, OP. The Jeeps are normally wide enough that you can keep a 2-3 back seat gun carrier for $30. The length should be an issue but width works pretty well.

I toss it on the back of my ranger since 1. they take up almost no space, 2. it blends in perfectly with the vehicle's layout and 3. no more bulky carrying cases. I normally keep a 12 gauge for ducks and .223 R700 in case I hit a deer or see a turkey.

no fudds allowed >:

Cool, I actually lived there for a few years. Went to kirkwood before I transferred to UofI

Im not OP im someone else.

Do americans really buy entirely different car for winter insetad of just changing tires?

OP here...My main car is an M3, not very ideal for Iowa winters. I should also mention that this isn't solely a winter car, it will double as a hunting vehicle/another toy

mate i have a miata with no ac/heat radio. id have to do more than just get snow tires for the winter.

id need to coat the underbody, get hvac, winter tires, hardtop, etc.

no point in doing all that.

Fuck yeah!

Why would I want to expose anything I care about to road salt and bad weather with other people who can't drive and don't care that they can't drive? Better to get some useless heap like a mid 90's Buick and not give a rats ass when the inevitable happens and some other idjit causes a 1000 car pileup in a blizzard because they treat the accelerator and steering like on-off switches.

>hunting vehicle
>toy
>XJ
HOOO BOIII. You're in for treat. Wait til you spend triple the book value on upgrades on this already-lifted Jeepers Creepers.

How do you plan on storing deer in the back? Strap it to the roof or put a tarp in the back?

Meh. Get a gun anyway.

All I really hunt is coyotes and pheasant, dogs get skinned on the spot if they get taken at all, and the birds can go in a garbage bag.

Oh neat. Do you pelt them?
You can just use a stick or your bear hands to kill a pheasant. Use bear hands, senpai.

I normally skin the birds on the spot so the pellet doesn't rupture their innards and bleed through. Plus you can tell if one or four pellets hit them so you don't bring home a toxic bird by accident. Then toss them in an icey cooler.

Cut a sunroof, mount an AR-15 turret. And Turkey hunt while your friend drives the Jeep.

Move to Texas and do this with pigs or Australia with Frogs and shit.

Where you live senpai?

Haha yeah, I pelt them if they're not mangey. My grandma has a church group and they make mittens and hats for the homeless. I live in NW Iowa.

Fuck that's cute.
Good for her and good for you.

Were you able to find a cheaper Jeep like: ? After this you sure deserve it.
How do I donate pelts?

I've expanded my search to Missouri...less rust I'm told. So far it is looking like a target rich environment haha. As for the pelts, I don't know...i just kind of fell in to having an awesome grandma.

3rd or 4th gen 4Runner. Less spartan and more reliable than an XJ, just as capable off road.

If I find a few coyote on Monday / Tuesday, I'll make sure to try and keep them in one piece so you get the pelts.

I'll toss up a thread if that's the case but since I'm only duck cucking, it'll be during the day so no coyotes.

Again, if you have $6500, why not get a good TJ? Or do this guy: I would second a 4runner if you have the money. XJs are what people normally buy when 1) they're a really good fucking deal or 2) they need a quick car under $2000

Are you going to Nugget-Fest?

Just get a truck with 4wd.

Literally any time one of these threads come up, there's always a guy that says "just get a trucc" or if they're looking for a trucc, they say "just get an suv".

user pls

Too much for even the nicest, rust free XJ. The most I'd ever spend is $3500 on one in perfect shape.

>cared for
>smoked turn signals

Thanks user.

Though it's nice to see it dark green against the grass, next time move the vehicle 3m forward so we can see it in its beautiful glory.

I have yet to find a civilian vehicle capable of holding the endless boxes of 54r I have buried in my backyard.

It's plasti dip black

WELL I SURE AS HELL COULDN'T TELL!! :(((
downboat for you, sire!

[spoiler] nah, that makes it prettier since it's not the same colour as australian fucking plain packaging [/spoiler]