Is there EVER a situation where drift is faster than grip?

Is there EVER a situation where drift is faster than grip?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2jiBF2mGxdw
youtu.be/g6XR4jPFYcs
youtu.be/U5JtedSYNTk
youtube.com/watch?v=vzXJwiWsvNE
youtube.com/watch?v=d8b0SYKKMaQ
youtu.be/di_X8IQLlAw
youtube.com/watch?v=B9S3HuL6-uE
dailymotion.com/video/x2soll5_btcc-2015-round-03-thruxton-race-1_shortfilms
youtube.com/watch?v=eKIz5s_NWdQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Always

DEJA VU

being cool

In anime

I wanna see some videos of FAST drift. Speed over slip angle. Does Veeky Forums have anything for me?

Around hairpins drift is almost always faster.

The point wasn't always being faster. Drifting on a small 2 lane road like the touge is a very effective way to prevent yourself from being passed as most drivers won't risk it unless they are literal prodigy tier. It also looks cool so there's that, but imo body roll during a grippy turn looks much better

watch some rally videos. Rear end is always loose when they race. rotating is a lot faster than trying to keep grip in this case. But usually it's awd>fwd>rwd in respect to times because of the increased grip with awd and the ability to pull out of a turn with fwd.

on dirt, oh yeah way faster

Low grip situations

Car that is bad and doesn't want to turn

Can be useful on an unknown road too as having a 'drift' set up car allows for quick changes in direction which is very important when you don't know the whole road.

this guy is an idiot

nascar

on the high speed 1.5 mile ovals they are sliding the entire way through the corner

On a track? Rarely. On a rally stage? Nearly all off the time. While it's not always strictly drifting, rally cars are set up to oversteer at pretty much every oppertunity from what I've seen

Those are literally all the reasons why they used to slide cars in rally mate.

Maximum grip is achieved at around 15 degrees slip angle

Are there any real drivers that can hold the ideal slip angle reliably like Godhand?

youtube.com/watch?v=2jiBF2mGxdw

try not to get erect

Nascar rednecks

Keiichi Tsuchiya

In a public really twisty road section where you can't know the apex of every corner. That's why rally drivers slide the car. In Dagumi's case it lets him brake less because the slide is also slowing the car down, also his tires are not great so it ends up being better for him to slide than grip (before Project D at least)

youtu.be/g6XR4jPFYcs

Only because you can't grip at all on dirt.

youtu.be/U5JtedSYNTk

why contain it?

youtube.com/watch?v=vzXJwiWsvNE

DEJA VU

>this is what he actually believes

>if you wanna smash quicker against a tree
drift

No can do bud.

someone post the vid of DK from Hot Version talking about finding the perfect balance of grip and drifting

Most corners in rally, but its more about sliding for the least amount of time. Youre still losing speed while sliding

Any sort of off road rally has loads of drifting as it's just impractical to do the whole thing with pure grip

There is never grip on dirt you are constantly sliding and the surface under the tires is constantly moving

holy shit

Never.

>this is what he actually believes

where you have a lack of horsepower and don't have a shorter gear to go to, so you need to keep the rpms up to maintain hp out of the corner, hence drifting. look at gokarts, they do it all the time.

Go karts don't have differentials they have to drift or they'd understeer into oblivion.

Yes like driving on a thousand tiny marbles
Instead or smart ass reply when don't you actually put something in the comment section

okay then
what are rally tires?

what are off road tires?

Oh yes cars use tires you are very very smart user
Theres still no grip on dirt. Just like there is no grip on snow. Do not think the science of grip on tarmac applies to dirt or snow because it doesn't in any single way

if there's no grip explain how it's possible to drive on both dirt and snow

Same way you can move from one point to another on a ice wearing your socks

Using traction?

Anytime Nakazato got behind the wheel.

>Go karts don't have differentials
Are you telling me only one wheels receives power on a go-kart?

rude

youtube.com/watch?v=d8b0SYKKMaQ this

Oh god, why didn't I listen to you guys when you said to only watch the first three stages?

I could have gotten off believing the rest wasn't so bad.

Oh god, all that wasted potential.

Why the hell was there never even any pay off for Takumi driving the Impreza?

Also, why the fuck did Natsuki even exist as a character if she's not even going to be shown after high school graduation ever again?

-9001/10

If there was no grip, the car wouldn't be able to move at all, period.

youtu.be/di_X8IQLlAw

How many people have you seen lately that you went to high school with?

most have the sprocket connected directly the axle dip ass

i saw one at a construction site a few weeks ago
other than that... never unless i go back to my hometown

i actually really enjoyed this

>Low grip situations
This

>Car that is bad and doesn't want to turn
>Can be useful on an unknown road too as having a 'drift' set up car allows for quick changes in direction which is very important when you don't know the whole road.
Are you high?

The drift king himself stated he only started drifitng to keep the crowd interested in the race that he always won.

That rally group b champion also states that drift only when absolutely necessary, you lose time when performing the pendulum drift

If you were dagumi and could drift perfectly every single time drift would always be faster than grip but in real world situations it's basically impossible to drift perfectly there are too many factors and the consequences of making a mistake are too high. Roads and tracks are designed for grip. Street tires are designed for grip. It's safer. The people talking about rally and dirt tracks are right though - those tracks have much wider tolerances for drifting and therefore everyone drifts on them.

You're a retard. If there was no grip how could the car even move or turn?

I told you bro

This

they are pretty much the same speed
just keeping grip involves more braking

The scandi flick was literally employed for older cars that just wouldn't turn in

Inducing oversteer through weight transfer was done for the same reason

Rally drivers would often keep the car in a constant sort of drift to allow sudden changes in direction.

Are you high?

Watch some of keichi's time attacks

Karts corner by lifting the inside rear tire you idiots. They are designed to flex the frame that way.

i watched fast and furious judging from that it's a yes

no, even dagumi tofuboi's fastest technique is grip based (gutter run)

dirt oval racing anything with 2 of 4 wheels

>tfw you will never achieve sikk speedway angles

N-NANI???

Why is Vaughn in front?

>pass user

The reason drift car maintains a lead is because he's sideways, not allowing the grip car to pass. While their results were correct, it was a shitty test to begin with. Drift car should have been behind trying to keep up, and more than one or two laps.

Not exactly the same thing but FWD race/rally cars are set up to oversteer.
You can kind of see it here, he turns in and the car immediately starts to rotate so he straightens the wheel and uses the throttle to pull the car into line
youtube.com/watch?v=B9S3HuL6-uE

Or if you skip to 16:05 you can see the car in front twitching around every fast corner
dailymotion.com/video/x2soll5_btcc-2015-round-03-thruxton-race-1_shortfilms

And here is a Fiesta rally car oversteering everywhere without the driver touching the handbrake
youtube.com/watch?v=eKIz5s_NWdQ

Well, of course they set FWD cars to oversteer.

If you don't, it understeers and you fly into the ditch.

It's the specifics of toegay.
Consecutive sharp turns, you can chain drift through all of them too Cars that have trouble gaining speed (turbo/low hp) - keep that turbine spinning (and bigger engine will make the balance worse making it poorly suited for the extremely technical course). Anything can happen and you might not even know the course all that well - with a near-limit grip picking wrong line and speed will send you right off the mountain if something goes wrong, drifting leaves you more freedom over adjusting your trajectory.