Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but how do the teeth of gears not break...

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but how do the teeth of gears not break? They seem so small for something that is supposed to be moving a ton of weight around at 100+ horse power and lb foot of torque. Do some of the teeth break eventually?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JOLtS4VUcvQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. They are a hard metal like diamonds
2. They don't experience that much force unlike a diff, which has bigger teeth

They do break but they're engineered for perpetual load so I think wear is more of a problem, at least when you're not neutral dropping like an idiot kid.

This video explains it all
Basically the gears are spinning at the correct speed before they're jammed into each other
youtube.com/watch?v=JOLtS4VUcvQ

not dumb glad you asked this I had no idea myself

In the case of helical gears several of the teeth are meshed at any one time.

This.

And ultra dense cast iron / pre-tensioned stainless steel. The fact that there's oil between the gears AND the lack of oxygen prevents them from really fucking up

This makes a major difference.
Some of my gears are even chromoly.

You can use a gear to cut through normal steel if you feel like it, shit as tough as fuck yo

And they do break if you're full retard

the faster the gear spins the more evenly distributed the output torque is across the teeth

Does motorcycles have synchronizer too?

This is one of the reasons you can be a lot rougher with manuals than automatics - but still, remember to preload before launching.

the fuck is neutral dropping

A neutral drop is when you REV IT UP LIKE BAMBAMBAMBAM THEN SELECT D FOR MAXIMUM RESPECT!!!!

Hello, yes the teeth can break. Sorry for my English, German engineer. There are lots of Reasons how this can happen. First of all. Gears can be calculated very precisely. It can be said that helical gears with the same module and material are a way more stable than the straight cut gears, because the teeth aren't engaged suddenly but more continuously, so they make much less noise, too. But helical ones create a good amount of thrust which needs better bearings and a more stable housing. This ends in a heavier gearbox. This is the reason why Race cars often use straight cut gears, and they don't have problems with the louder gearing noises.

Reasons gears brake:
1. Too much force on the teeth, through tuning your car, which creates cracks in the foot of the Teeth.
2. Wear of the teeth through the wrong oil or too much torque from the engine, because with too viscous oil or too much torque, you get a big hertzian stress on the flank, which leads to pitting and wears the gears down.
3. Construction failure, the gears aren't calculated correctly, they can have a too small foot or they are too sharp on the top. Or even the wrong material or production failures in the cutting and hardening process.

>i am a german crossfit engineer

The surface is hardened not to wear down, but if they would be hardened through to the core, they would break instantly.

No

>D

And the reason why gears don't brake is, they have the right geometry, the right width the right material, the right oil and made correctly.

dynamic load(moving) is atleast twice the rating of static(non-moving)
they do break tho just look at subarus
there is alot more to it that just smaking some shitty peice of cast with 100nm of force

Newfag