Why is it so hard to get a job? Just a fucking minimum wage retail job requires 2 interviews and preferably experience...

Why is it so hard to get a job? Just a fucking minimum wage retail job requires 2 interviews and preferably experience. Like what the fuck? How am I supposed to have good customer service skills straight outta highschool?

I had to beg the guy who took my application to hurry the fuck up and give me a phone interview. It took a fucking month to get it and now he's ghosting me again. And my parents are actually contacting him what's up.

Fuck you it's not even paid work. Holy fucking shit

Listen, OP. Take it from me, guy that was almost in your shoes. It's a stroke of luck but also a stroke of confidence.

You need to show these people that you're better than the candidates they could consider hiring. Do some research, learn about stocking shelves if that's what you really want to do.

Learn about UPC codes, learn about market strategies in a retail environment like why they put the milk in the back of the store. Everyone needs milk. You're gonna see everything else along the way.

Learn that shit, and when you ask for a job (preferably in-person even if you're positive it's online or over-the-phone) you need to display that you GIVE a shit.

Because a retail employee that gives two shits will outclass the 90% with experience that don't.

As for the guy ghosting you, well. Maybe he's a lost cause. But cold call his ass and bother the shit out of them for an interview. Or try elsewhere.

develop a drinking problem
meet a natural gas worker in a bar
become bros
get a 100k riggin' gig.
save 500k
learn how to trade options
slay the game
retire at 35

Loved reading this. This is what smart people with drive do.

People today have forgotten that it's their job to do whatever it takes to earn a job. They are not "owed" a job because they graduated high school or college or simply for breathing.

Could you give me guidance on a good CV? I recognise I need to bullshit but not too much as to get caught out.

Are you a social creature? Couple friends? Do you go to bars, even if you don't drink? If so, those are your best shot. Chances are, one if not all of them has worked in retail. You could use that when you speak to your employer. "I worked with a friend of mine when I was younger helping his mom stock her mom'n'pop store."

You now display a modicum of understanding of how this works. They don't care what the store was, it was mom'n'pop, probly gone now. They don't care who your friend is, they don't need to know him.

But they heard YOU worked there.

Truth be told, it truly is just a learning experience, there's no real "Here's how to retail" book I could give you. But here's a quick rundown on what I did day-to-day as a regular old Joe stocking shelves. With this, I got up to 11.50 an hour at 19. Dropped out because the job's murder on your back and truth be told, you're gonna meet a lot of assholes.

1) Learn to read. I'm not kidding. You work at Target, they will label exactly where it is, exactly where on the shelf it goes, and exactly what price it needs to be. Tell them you "Understand a UPC code" and I assure you, you're going to get a smile and likely a hire.

2) Be a hard worker. I grew up on a farm and the moment I told my employer that, they lit up. Hard labor is what that job is. And the harder you hit it, the happier the employer is. They won't pay you more. But you'll be there. After a couple of months, you have your "experience" and can slow down just a tad. Don't need to be the brightest star to be among the rest. Explain to them how hard you've had to work, but don't make it a sob-story. They don't really care to pity you. They want worker bees, not queens.

3) Scout the store a little bit. Kinda learn what goes where, see what the things are that are sold out. Tell them you shop there a lot and actually know a little bit about the organization of the place, they may just hire you on the basis of experience with THEIR store.

and finally, 4) Thank them. They're not heartless monsters, even though when you work for them it may seem that way. These people have corporate deadlines and real monsters breathing down their necks. And they don't make much more than you.

Thank them for the interview. Thank them for actually giving you a chance. Thank them even if they don't hire you straight away. My father taught me a lesson that will stick with me forever.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression."

You can do it, user. You're not useless and I know you think you are. I know it scares the shit out of you. But you're not going to fail. Not forever. Just try and if you fail, you've got to learn from it, not sulk about it. Fear is only going to make you nervous and a nervous employee is an underpaid useless employee.

You're gonna be fine, my friend. Good luck.

Oh and, OP; just a simple word of advice that's gonna save you a headache no matter where you go or what you do.

You gotta grow a spine. And I don't mean that to be cruel or insensitive. I really do mean you HAVE to. People will milk you for everything you've got and then bleed you dry to boot. You are expendable until you make enough passive income that they beg you for off-time.

You need to DEMAND time off and if they don't give it to you, make them understand that they'll be losing a valuable employee.

You need to make THEM understand that you're working here WITH them. Not FOR them. The store is a tower and without the right bricks, it will fall. If they don't pay you well, skimp out on raises, shortcut you, you gotta hound them. You gotta be a fire under their ass. Make them hurt until they make you smile. Then make them smile in return.

It will make you a better person, I promise.

Thanks so much. I want to apply to this cleaning gig because all the other cleaning jobs require experience. I wrote this on the cover letter provided.

Dear person,
I would like to be considered for the position as Morning Cleaner although I have no formal experience in Cleaning I intend to learn as much as I can about the cleaning business. Because the experience I'd get from working for ______ would be invaluable to me, I'd be willing to work for free providing I'd be given the training necessary to perform well at the job.

I would be available any day of the week, any time.

This arrangement would benefit both the company and I because the company saves a lot of money while I gain quality practical experience that I couldn't get anywhere else. I would be able to start as soon as possible.

>Does this have any chance on working?

>has 10, 15, 20 years to develop relationships and job skills
>his definition of "hard" is "going to 2 interviews for a retail position"

who knows little buddy, you'll probably die in the streets addicted to heroin. i bounced between 5 different jobs in 2 years right out of high school working around travel and university, then got a comfy job right after graduating. my reference was a professor who saw me like twice.

the amount of practically retarded men and women i've worked with in the upper middle class sphere of work, let alone the people i saw when i was event staffing or making burgers, makes me think that unemployed dudes are literally vegetables.

shit parents and shit school

I will answer the question as to why it is so hard. Retail usually operates on slim margins. They cannot take risks on employees that may steal. So they have to have higher standards when vetting employees or have higher compensating controls. If you want a quick job, then you should focus on jobs that don't require the handling of assets.

>tfw you apply for a job but know 80 other people are applying, and of them 50 are more qualified than you
It's an employer's market. This is what happens when you allow companies to ship jobs overseas and grant amnesty to illegals - not enough work to go around. It also allows employers to jack up their requirements, which is why you need a BA to flip burgers now.

My advice would be to go into business for yourself. Get a small beater truck for ~$2000, buy a weed whacker, lawn mower, shovel, and leaf blower, and start landscaping. My brother is doing just that, and I am learning proper garden care to help him expand his business and clientele. A lot of people want nice yards and gardens but are too busy/lazy to do the work themselves.

Get some business cards from Vista Print. Buy those plastic yard signs and plant them on every yard you 'scape. After you get a bit of cash saved buy a chainsaw, harness, and climbing rope so you can start hacking down trees.

This type of business practically grows itself, you just need to do the legwork (and it IS hard work, but it's also very rewarding) and manage the business's growth.

Just lie. No big deal.

This although I would add, don't pursue these fields where everyone already is and is pushing.

Go to the fields in need. They want people, and they will pay:
> blue collar
> trucking
> military

I feel your pain. Every office job is just overwhelmed with applications. If you aren't blood related to someone in the company you can just forget it.

I probably blew 200 hours on online applications that just went into the abyss.

Something really needs to change, because technology and the changing workforce have really fucked a whole generation of people that don't have the "connections"

>because technology
This. Because of this, teleconference has made employee retention possible in the face of geological obstacles.

What's worse is that tele-training has virtually eliminated paid relocation. Hope you like living where you are, because for the foreseeable future you're stuck there if you aren't filthy rich.

You've applied to maybe 2 or 3 jobs. Apply to about 600, and change your approach. In the inital email to the company, put your best skills up front. Tell them what they will be hiring.

You: "I have X, Y AND Z! I can guarantee you blah blah, yadda yadda"

Employer: "Oh shit, waddup."

If you do get an interview, again, dont jut let them ask you questions, TELL them why they should hire you.

You again: "If you hire me, yadda yadda blah blah."

Employer again (This time female): "My panties are in a knicker just thinking about it."

Don't lie, just sell your best skills/qualities and answer their fucking questions honestly.

1. Show up in person for EVERY application.
2. Develop a good resume. Contact a professional.
3. Get letters of reference.
4. Dress well. Nice pants (not jeans), a nice pair of dress shoes and a collared shirt. Iron it all, make sure it's clean, and practice good hygiene. Also, make sure it's all fitted well and not too loose or too tight. Appearance is important.
5. Try to sell yourself. Be confident, and prepare thoroughly.
6. You're going to be handing out dozens of resumes before you get a few bites.
7. Patience.
8. Have good body language.

>Dress well. Nice pants (not jeans), a nice pair of dress shoes and a collared shirt. Iron it all, make sure it's clean, and practice good hygiene. Also, make sure it's all fitted well and not too loose or too tight. Appearance is important.
This depends on the position you're going for. I applied to an elevator installation company and got laughed out of the interview for dressing in slacks and a button-up shirt.

If that's the case, it's probably not a very professional business. I wear slacks and button-ups everyday.

I wouldn't want to work at a business where they literally laugh at you for showing some pride in your appearance. Sad!

idk what you're talking about dude, I'm a 19 y/o physics sophomore and I got a job at a major spacecraft manufacturer and all I did was ask

I was pissed. As I left I quipped, "That's alright - I can see you have no room for a 6', 180lb guy in your ranks. Those steel beams are light enough to be carried by anyone!" and slammed the door.

>As I left I quipped, "That's alright - I can see you have no room for a 6', 180lb guy in your ranks. Those steel beams are light enough to be carried by anyone!" and slammed the door.
I can assure you that this made them laugh even harder, you just didn't hear it because the door was closed. I mean lmao holy shit what the fuck was that, user?

Okay yeah. You can't actually work for free. That just opens them up to a DoL investigation.

Talk instead about your strong work ethic and attention to detail, etc etc. And don't mention your availability, that comes during your interview. Mentioning it in the cover letter just makes you sound desperate.

fucked that up I already sent it hours ago. Wasn't gonna get it anyway. I want to get into cleaning, specifically crime scene cleaning. But they don't make applying easy.

It was my 4th interview that day and I'm frustrated. I STILL haven't found gainful employment and that interview was 3 months ago.

>TFW you go from being a network tech making $20/hr to a house cleaner making $10/hr and there's no sign of improvement

How do I get a job as a house cleaner?

Apply and tell them you used to clean houses with your aunt or grandma - they'll hire and train you.

Try The Cleaning Authority - that's the only nation-wide chain I know.

Juden

because they dont want to hire you.

why hire you when they can hire pablo the illegal for half your wage?

If you see a job posting older than 24 hours don't even bother applying, they already have 100+ resumes to look at, only apply to recently posted jobs so your resume is at the top of the stack

Post on Nextdoor or Facebook that youll clean someones house.

I know a lady that cleans 4 houses per week. She earns $125 per house. And they pay her in cash, so no taxes.

This is the best post on Veeky Forums