I want to get into Subaru's but I'm scared of the Boxer engine...

I want to get into Subaru's but I'm scared of the Boxer engine. I've heard these are specialty engines right up there with rotaries. Are these cars/engines particularly hard to work on?

Boxers aren´t that different from V engines.
They just have a 180° bank angle and a slightly different crankshaft.

Get some swivel ratchet attachments for changing spark plugs and an oil filter socket. Other than that maintanence shouldn't be too difficult.

Nah it's all been fairly simple on mine. Just the same as any other engine for the most part.

unless you're planning on rebuilding the engine it's not especially different

The actual block is fine, but say to remove the oil filter on my mates imprezza you have to remove the exhaust
Or its a pain to change spark plugs as they are behind the wheels

They're still piston engines so they're definitely not rotary tier special and require just regular maintenance.
The drawback to them is that they are really crammed in the engine bay so it might be more difficult to work on them, especially if you don't have the right tools. That shouldn't be the reason to put anyone off from buying a boxer imo. Just be ready to spend some more time on repairs / maintenance procedures and get the right tools as mentioned.

It's an inferior engine. Subarus are shit especially for diy.

Don't call it a "boxer" engine for one.

I have a 2017 wrx. Oil filter is on top of the engine. Very cool. It's as easy to change the filter as it is to check the oil.

Same with my toyobaru. Opened up the hood and the oil filter is right there. Super handy.

Why not?

What would you call it pal? That's literally the word used to describe the design.

I own a Crosstrek and I've had zero issues. Original owner of a 2014, I've put 42k on it and I've had to do nothing but oil changes, tires, and regular washing and waxing.

Because it triggers his autism.

Citation needed.

The oil filter on my legacy is in a great spot just behind the exhaust manifold but just so that I can get a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to yank it off. 10x easier than changing the oil on my Tacoma at least

and for a 4 banger, it has twice the number of headgaskets, and twice the intake manifolds, and twice the exhaust headers, and twice the cambelts. Spark plugs are typically a bitch to get to as well.

not to mention the inherit design of this engine is to have the pistons lying on their side their whole life which leads to uneven wearing which results in piston slap and oil consumption.

if you want that 20 something odd lbs of weight lower, they're a great idea. but don't forget to slap an intercooler right on top of the engine so it draws in nice hot air, and raises the cog anyways.

seriously, I had a wrx and I loved it, but just what the fuck subaru.

>tfw no rotary impreza

Do you even mechanic, son?

How often do you change a head gasket? I've done 300,000km in my H6 and never needed to.

I don't understand the boxer engine. It makes sense for high performance sports cars where center of gravity is important, but an I4 is way simpler, with a boxer you need 2 sets of cams, more belt/chain to drive them all, more intake and exhaust manifold.

Are there any more advantages than lower center of gravity and shitty exhaust notes?

How about when you need to change a valve cover gasket? Or even spark plugs?
Huhe pain in the ass.
Any engine can go 40-something thousand miles, that's not an accomplishment.
I'm not saying I wouldn't own one but they are harder to work on.

Fuck off. My car is a boxer. My bike is a boxer. I service them myself. The boxer configuration isn't necessarily easier or harder to work on, just different. Some things are easier to reach, others more difficult.

If you have Donald Trump hands they're easier to work on. Otherwise get some offsets and 90 degree ratchets.

>>Are there any more advantages than lower center of gravity and shitty exhaust notes?
Not really, it is fun to throw though corners though.

You replace them when they blow, which also involves machining the head or heads.
Subaru went full retard and through graphite headgaskets on some of the H4 engines and tend to pop them every 80k miles.
Replace them with a proper metal headgasket and the problem is solved.

>2L
Get something with a real engine faggot.
I see way too many WRX's on their second or third engine.

Do you even automotive engineering, son?

3,6L H6 Boxer Master Race reporting in.

If I close my eyes and turn up the radio a little, it sounds just like a 911. Sort of.

Obligatory

Kek-tastic. Saved.

EZPZ

>tfw my boxer has the oil filter on top of the engine, so no mess and no having to contort myself to get to it
It's kind of nice actually

It's really not that bad.

Plugs/wires are gravy on the 2.5 SOHC. Pull the air box, pull the battery, lotsa room.

On the DOHC, it's a bit worse, if you have paws for hands, undo one motor mount and raise the engine with a block of wood on the oil pan. Not a lot of room, but it will help. Only the drivers rear is above average difficulty.

The worst part about doing the valve covers is that oil drains out of the heads, so you need to re-install quickly after cleaning the off the oil from the gasket surface. Realistically, they valve covers get done 1-2 times in the cars life.

2.5L are oem headgasket eaters. Otherwise, you can beat the shit out of these engines if you also take good care of them. Oil changes on em are interesting
>insert oil change pic of that user who drew jigsaw on his oil filter

I have a 2.5L with 212,000 miles on it. OEM head gaskets are still fine.

>it sounds just like a 911

So like shit? Porsche's sound like a old minivan or truck with a rusted out exhaust.