Toyota Land Cruiser Appreciation Thread

Why buy any Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5 or other "luxury SUVs" when you can get a Toyota Land Cruiser which can do legendary offroading, still drives smooth on the road and can be bought for under 90k when most commonly sold luxury SUVs are over 100k?

>Oh you mean fuel economy? Toyota rated this 5.7L V8 beast at 13 - 19 mpg.
TFL did an MPG test on the LC and got a very good unexpected rating of 19.3mpg. Even the owner reports speak out this thing gets near 18 and up. It only gets below 15 when you give it a lot of effort which is understandable.

Also, reliabilty! You can't get that in any of those "luxury SUVs".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ILYk6kO0Ne4
youtube.com/watch?v=-XgTiuySL_A
youtube.com/watch?v=g9sKn-tKz6c
youtube.com/watch?v=RzmpWM0I_YA
youtube.com/watch?v=3vbZPQeHTfM
youtube.com/watch?v=tM99MPoffpE&list
youtube.com/watch?v=xtXr3rSTgnM
youtube.com/watch?v=-gzdDrelqSI
youtube.com/watch?v=kbKNT41UHJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=6lgqSNN9-cA
youtube.com/watch?v=JNmShysXYbs
youtube.com/user/RonBacardi666/videos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck yeah nip suvs

wrong file whoops

My friend has one of those. The interior isn't bad, but not fantastic. It doesn't drive or ride as nice as the Range Rover, Cayenne or X5 on the road. Never been offroad in any of them.

My friend gets about 30mpg in his on the highway, which is great.

its too big... where is their 70 series / jeep competitor?

I'm sorry, but you just cannot look like a sane human being driving one of those, if you are not a tiny asian women (no you're not), or a cuck (yes you are), then you just look out of place driving a Landrcuiser that you will never take off paved road or on the touge.

I advise you to instead buy a PT cruiser, it is a modest and reliable vehicle from the respectable manufacturer of Dodge, you will look like a man in control driving one of those, someone who votes for Hillary because they are high test, and who argues with stupid Christians on youtube comments. I can see you want to be a white knight, so buying a PT cruiser (god machine) will help you to imagine getting closer to pussy when you are actually preserving your pure virginity for your furry twink waifu.

>My friend gets about 30mpg in his on the highway, which is great.

No he doesn't.

We just drove to Orlando in it. Yes, he does.

No he doesn't.

topkek even the Range Rover Sport gets better gas milage and would be way better to drive on a long trip. Bigger tank, better milage REGARDLESS if you get the v6 or v8. Oh and more power with the v8, and about the same with the v6.

On top of that it looks and drives better.

I've never seen a Toyota Landcruiser made after the 90's go offroad in a decent 4x4 park or the like, most people have an 80's series or older to go offroading in so they won't cry about scratches and dings. Do you think the last decade of Landcruisers have fallen to the ranks of Mall crawlers?

Well yeah, most people don't take 85,000 dollar suvs off roading. They might take them onto dirt, but, not real offroading.

Those will stop being mall crawlers in another 15 years.

>The interior isn't bad, but not fantastic.
what it is legitimately one of the best interiors i have ever been inside

>My friend gets about 30mpg in his on the highway
lol oh you havent actually been in one thats why you dont know what youre talking about
i think you rode in a rav4 you fucking retard

The previous gens were very popular with the Mafiya in my country

Amazing car. They actually survive Russian roads (All luxury SUV including even G-class eventually ruin their suspension and give in if you try to actually travel in the countryside).
X5 became explosively popular after BMW introduced it and the Porsche copied it with Cayenne and it also became explosively popular, but if you try do do anything more than drive in winter and climb sidewalks you'll get stuck or fuck them up very quickly, but Land Cruiser prevails.

They are some of the most respected cars you can have.

Offloading starts when you move out of city. Even in cities there are holes than can ruin your suspension if you go over them too quickly.

Not all of us live in third world shitholes.

Yallah habibi! There's a reason why this is the first choice of any Arab when it comes to buying an SUV. Every house here in the UAE at least owns one LC or has owned at least one in the past and also chances are they might have also ordered it and be waiting on it!

The Sequoia eats into their sales massively. Most people don't know or don't care about how good the chassis or drivetrain is. It's too expensive for people who want to actually off road and rack up shittons of miles. Every gen has been great (I've owned several) but the new ones don't even make sense to me, I'm not surprised they have poor sales figures.

youtube.com/watch?v=ILYk6kO0Ne4

I just watched this video and I really am jealous of Australians and Arabs. I mean they get one of the best or the actually best SUV ever made in different variants and we only get the fully-optioned variant here in the fucking US. I swear, why don't people in US buy this instead of other shit. I'm pretty sure it's because of the badge. Fucking badgewhores. I really pity our people.

>why don't people in US buy this instead of other shit
It cost 80 grand. EIGHTY THOUSAND. Japan needs to stop jewing us with this thing so we have a viable Suburban alternative.

The Sequoia is/was based on Tacoma parts so it should be competent offroad. Shame there's absolutely zero aftermarket for it despite being way more popular.

>Sequoia
The Sequotia is based on the fullsized Tundra you idiot. It is literally the closest thing to a Toyota manufactured Suburban competitor.

how much do they cost down there,akhy?
even though they're kinda overpriced here it sure as fuck doesn't stop people from buying them,that's the base model

My dad (and incidently I too since I drive them) has gone through wv touareg v10 -> nissan quashquai and now land cruiser.
Out of all of them, v10 touareg was nicest to drive followed closely by the nisamo but the land cruiser is by far the most reliable and the interior is so lovely and retro.
Wv was worthless since it was always broken down.

My dad used to be an offroading driver and did competitions. He drives land cruiser now.
Sure he doesn't take it into the real mud, which no luxury suv would do without some mods, but it's still quite capable.

Wait 10-20 years once this model gets old and people start taking it into the mud. Nobody is gonna wreck a brand new DD

Cool. I'm not sorry I'm not up on mom mobiles so piss off. Still though, there's zero aftermarket for offroading these in comparison to the burb. The burb is way more competent offroad because of that. The Sequoia is a me too shitbox desu. It needs TRD offroad goodies.

Doesn't the 4runner have a pretty good aftermarket? At least the older ones

We don't use Jordanian Dinar. We use Emirati Dirham as our currency. :)

The LC is sold here in 8 variants. Most people here just buy off the mid 4.6L GXR while the richer ones get the 5.7L VXR which is a torque monster and a little bit heavier.

The base 4.0L V6 costs 209k DHS; which is just under 60k USA.

The most commonly sold mid 4.6L GXR costs 263k DHS; which is 70k USD.

When a guy buys a 5.7L he usually puts down extra cash and gets the top variant 5.7L VXR with all the options ticked; which costs 329k DHS which is 89k USD. Very similar to the US priced LandCruiser.

I hope you got what I typed. I'm not so great in English. :)

We wish we got that base model here in the US. But hey man, your English puts my fluency to shame lol.

The question is why are they 80k? The new Nissan Armada(USA)/Patrol is only ~45k.

Because the LC that is sold in the US/Canada is actually the top-variant all-options-ticked. If we had the base model here, we'd be getting it under 60k.

>We don't use Jordanian Dinar. We use Emirati Dirham as our currency. :)
well yes

but damn they're considerably cheaper for you guys i'm kinda jelly because everything that has to do with cars here is expensive af

I get that. The Patrol has more features for less money was my point.

Can old LC's get some love?

Totally yes.

that's a prado

70 Series is still in production. I have an 09 79R and its frequently being loaded up and thrashed.

Mashallah habib, sorry to say but Nissan Patrol #1 youtube.com/watch?v=-XgTiuySL_A youtube.com/watch?v=g9sKn-tKz6c

habibi put an ls1 into this motherfucker right here and it'll shit all over a patrol because lol pigfat

more hot saudi action
youtube.com/watch?v=RzmpWM0I_YA

found the doug demuro fan

youtube.com/watch?v=3vbZPQeHTfM

he's coo i like him

here's a personal favorite
youtube.com/watch?v=tM99MPoffpE&list
non related to the land cruiser but saudi nonetheless

muddan'
youtube.com/watch?v=xtXr3rSTgnM

>Implying mitsushiti isn't pig fat.

youtube.com/watch?v=-gzdDrelqSI

Nice idea, Ls1 patrol master race though because of how bad arse and sick it looks/ sounds youtube.com/watch?v=kbKNT41UHJ0 youtube.com/watch?v=6lgqSNN9-cA

a 3.8l pajero weighs around 350 kgs less than a patol even though it's outdated as fuck
there hasn't been any significant change to pajeros since like 98

yeah i'm def doing it in the near future,making it legal is going to be a bit hard though

Hey guys, what is habibi?

>Cool. I'm not sorry I'm not up on the subject content of this thread
Then why are you here? Piss off.

I want a diesel Pajero here in the states.

but i want one of those crazy ass bush land cruisers that they have in africa and shit

>first video
>entering a water crossing at full tilt
Proof the majority of Australian Patrol owners are lowest common denominator retards.

>anything after the 80 series
Why?

>why
Because 105 is literally and 80 with a much more accommodating interior.
Because 200 has the God tier 1VD diesel.

Gorgeous, although the J70 beds on the 40s is a shame.

Here's what the original bed looked like. It was a lot worse than it first looked.

Honestly, I'd resheet the floor with new chequer plate, although I admittedly can't accurately judge the damage from one photo. Why not a dropside tray Strayia style?

honey or babe in arabic
no homo

This is the only thread where I saw Arabs and us amerifags(I assume most are) are in good terms. Veeky Forums has good people too!

youtube.com/watch?v=JNmShysXYbs
related

yeah this doesn't happen very often

Lol I noticed that too.

Would i be able to get a decent Land Cruiser for under 10k?
How is it in terms of power compared to a 3.4l 5vz?
Fuel mileage?

Keeping my options open in case anything ever happens to my Tacoma

>the Range Rover Sport gets better gas milage and would be way better to drive on a long trip
Expect that to break down atleast 5 times on the way to the destination.

Where this?

Man no, Patrols stand 2nd all the time. LC looks way better and performs much better too. Also is much better on cash on the long run.

well why the fuck do you need a SUV then ?

>Sequoia is the subject matter.
Fuck off and learn to read.

You're the dickhead who replied to the Sequoia comment thinking the Lanscruiser was a Suburban competitor. Or are you too mentally impaired to remember that? I guess cursing at others will take the focus away from your intellectual deficiency right?

>Would i be able to get a decent Land Cruiser for under 10k?
Yes
>How is it in terms of power compared to a 3.4l 5vz?
$10k will get you an early 100 series, 80 series, or older. They're all slow.
>Fuel mileage?
Shit

Silverton, CO

As an Australian and a former Patrol owner, yes.

Because my 79R GVM is 3800 and with the two tonne boat on the back it pulls up every range in QLD at 100-110 with coolant at 81, EGT at 380 post turbine and fuel consumption about 15.6L/100K.

Couldn't do anything like that in my old 80. 1HD is an awesome engine, but I ain't going back.

1VD reppin'

bumps for cruiser

Outta my way, petrol fuckin shits

ugliest generation
best generation coming through

That's a Prado and this is a Land Cruiser .

Literally "the love of mine" or "my love" but commonly used in a similar way to words like buddy, mate or nigga.

youtube.com/user/RonBacardi666/videos

knock yourself out

its a land cruiser prado

A Lanscruiser with medium duty drive train...
You're right though, it is still a "J" chassis.

Delete this! Can not have in USA.

>Toyota Landcruiser made after the 90's

All IFS in the USA, AFAIK. They had to drop the front diff lock (IFS axles too weak) and other important stuff. Australia and many other places still get the packages with all the off-roading gear.

I have a 80 series that everyone wants to buy. But when the dealers asked if I'd trade it in, I'd tell them only for a Mega Cruiser. Toyota not bringing the Mega to the US market was an indication that they didn't take actual off-roading here seriously anymore. All mall crawlers now.

I wanted to buy a troop carrier a while ago. Great cars but zero comfort.

>vinyl interior, hot but easy to clean
>still have to pay for air conditioning as extra
>manual windows (might be electric now?)
>75K AUD base
>bench seats in back for carrying many people

still want one, they are updating them as well so they don't get thrown out for emissions/safety regulations.

Heh, if you were to buy new, good the GXL over the workmate. For a $5000 premium you get aircon standard, cloth trim, wide alloys and the factory dual different locks all standard (just optioning the A/C and difflocks on a workmate pushes it higher than a GXL anyway).

Man I went the opposite way when I got mine though I purchased a used ute. I didn't want the GX or GXL apart from the wheels and maybe the lockers though the actuators suck arse. They hang low off the pumpkin, fill with moisture and mud from the pissy little breather right down low and seize up.

But I wanted wind up windows and a vinyl floor coming from a Patrol with carpet and cloth seats. Forever getting mud and shit out of the cloth where the vinyl is really easy to keep presentable in the Workmate.

I wanted super basic and you'll get that with the workmate but if you want the comfy at all grab at least the GX.

I'm very weary of the new DPF location. Hot brakes start spinifex fires let alone a canister at a few hundred degrees during a regen. Depends where you are using it if this would be an issue.

I have a 2015 LC With Level VI armor. Engine response is ok, handling is terrible. Would not recomend. If you need a big armored car get a suburban, if you want a lighter easier drive get a grand cherokee.

Fair enough on the workmate, although if I was in the position of buying a VDJ79 (I'm not, nor will I be in the forseeable), I'd happily go with the GXL route, albeit with tailor fitted canvas seat covers. Realistically though, I'd buy what ever trim level was in my price range second hand.
If you end up going the air locker route, word of advice. Throw the crap blue nylon flex hose ARB uses (and their shit cunt quick fit connectirs) in the trash. Have some steel brake lines made up for it.

That's so sweet.

Does that thing even move with all that armor? I mean why do you need an armored car?

>I mean why do you need an armored car?
SHALL NOT

Keep an eye out as good deals come around. I got my '09 two years ago with 97,000 ex-gov with accessories for what people were paying for 07's.

Very much not keen on airleakers. Been there and I don't like them.

Love the car though. I won't be going back to Nissan for a long time, if ever. The Patrol is fantastic and I reckon better in the rough stuff out of the box but the Cruiser smashes it in every other way. 1VD is stonkin'.

I honestly think the Land Cruiser is one of the best SUV's around. It doesn't fuck around, hand built to an extent, live rear axle, amazing drivetrain. And I think it looks much better than in recent years with the 2016.

And at Sema they made that "220mph" one. Looks good low or high.

Jelly, ameribros?

>airleakers
No kidding. Been there as well. Hence the suggested improvement. In reality air actuation isn't bad, it's just how it's applied in the case of consumer aftermarket stuff with the cheap crappy but adaptable fittings. I'd like to fashion my custom air carrying lines similar to that of a prime mover.

I want to like the E-Lockers, but I don't like the ramping locking ring.

The Ox lockers look the duck's nuts, although you can only find them for generic American manufactured differentials.

Why buy any Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5 or other "luxury SUVs" when you can get a lada niva which can do legendary offroading, still drives smooth on the road and can be bought for under 7k when most commonly sold luxury SUVs are over 100k?
>Oh you mean fuel economy? Lada rated this 1.8L 4i beast at 34.2 mpg; 28.5 mpg
TFL did an MPG test on the LC and got a very good unexpected rating of 34mpg. Even the owner reports speak out this thing gets near 19.7 and up. It only gets below 13.1 when you give it a lot of effort which is understandable.
Also, reliabilty! You can't get that in any of those "luxury SUVs".

hhhnnnnnggggg

ugly af
if you want an inferior land cruiser you might as well get a wanker