Am I a stupid gambler for purchasing 5k USD worth of Royal Dutch Shell call contracts at a strike of 60 dollars?

Am I a stupid gambler for purchasing 5k USD worth of Royal Dutch Shell call contracts at a strike of 60 dollars?

>Opec going to meet, November 30th, to discuss output decreases
>Trump wants to rescind the Iran deal executive order

If Trump does so, or even alludes to do so, and/or OPEC comes to an output decrement agreement, it could send the price of oil skyrocketting.

The stock is down to 48 USD from a high of around 80ish USD back in 2014's oil prices. The particular call i purchased is a January 20th call, at a strike of 60. Trump is sworn in on the day of expiry. I purchased it at 5 cents per share. So I can buy 100k shares at 60 dollars a share).

Covert "thereisonepostinthisthread" bump

you're going to see a revival in U.S. shale oil production and probably less international oil demand, i would expect prices to decline

>hold the calls
>OPEC decreases output

>Oil speculators buy in before Trump presidency due to Iran deal rescindment (word?)

or

>Oil speculators sell due to the possibility of Trump deregulating oil

if the stock price goes to 61 dollars, which is a rise of 27% (I know, super unlikely...), that's 100k USD in the bank. Even if it gets to 5 dollars below 61 dollars, the contracts could well be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Why would oil companies attempt to crash the oil price if/when it goes up anyway? Do we have an American version of OPEC, that forces oil companies to agree on a cap to output and generally collaborate?

yes its called US military

What the duck did I just read? You literally must be fine throwing money away. I mean shit your contracts may be expiring worthless. OPEC isn't shit, everyone makes a big ducking deal about OPEC.

January 20? Shit

It's all a ruse btw. I didn't yet buy the contracts. I made some money off of some CHK calls (2k) and now I'm looking to put it to good use. I also have some regret for not betting 5k on the god emperor (which I was about to do, but then i pusse'd out).

I'm looking to open a stock portfolio with an online broker. Waiting to save at least $1000-$5000 before I start buying stocks. Anyways, I thought this would be the thread to get some questions answered:

- How much are the fees, typically, for: keeping a portfolio open, selling stocks, buying stocks? Are there any other charges?
- What if I choose to sell some of my stocks and there isn't enough buyers. Will the stocks be returned to me or get sold to the next bidder for a lower price?
- What is the likelihood of an online broker disappearing with my money? Should I worry about safety of my investments?
- What's a good website to track stocks?

Stay away from the stock market. You way over think things, and the stock market is not a good place for people who think too much.

I understand it's essentially gambling. I just want to know the rules of the game before I play....

If I had ANY money i would be putting it all into o&g companies.

Whatever happened to buy low sell high eh? Use to be the mantra of biz, now the mantra is "get sucking, Kneepad Face"

What goes down must come up.

Everything is going UP! Invest in $10,000 TPLM and create a fortune in the coming years!

SCREENCAP THIS!

-How much are the fees?
Depends on what services you get. I have a fidelity account, it's 7.95 per trade. They offer live customer service, which you won't get with some other services but they're cheaper to compensate.
-What if I choose.... for a lower price?"
Look up "Market makers." Market makers are people who buy and sell securities (the bid is how much they're willing to buy and ask is how much they're willing to sell) to create market liquidity. Look at the daily dollar volume traded of the group of stocks that you're trading in. If it's very low, not a good sign. When the number of buyers decreases significantly, if you want to sell it would probably be at a lower than normal price.
-What is the likelihood of... investments?
I can't answer this with a satisfactory answer. I just trust Fidelity. It's a huge name, and honestly I love just about everything about the company. I trust them with my money. Vs... people who make memecoin wallets? I believe these cryptocurrencies are very unregulated, so I lack confidence in their safety. As opposed to brokers.
-Wha's a good website to track stocks?
I suggest you either play with fake money for a while or at least monitor and write down your thoughts and observations about the price movement of stocks vs. what's going on in the market. When you develop more of an understanding about what determines the price of stocks, you'll probably be curious about how the current events that you read about impact the market. Once you see the impact of these events, it's up to you to decide on what could possibly happen to the market. There are so many moving parts, that like says... it's a fools game... you just have to be the better fool... But also don't listen to him when he says to stay out. Just be careful.

I'm not sure if you're mocking me, or legitimately trying to pump that crappy penny stock lol

What are oil companies with the best dividends Veeky Forums?

Royal Dutch Shell has a 7.45% dividend yield. That's pretty damn good

Buy oil for any reason, it will always give good returns.

Rich people put their cash there instead of stuffing it under a matress.

>Be June 2008, 154$ crude
>"Buy oil for any reason, it will always give good returns"
Do you mean at this price range it has traded in in the last year?

>Any EROI positive oil left after 8 years of fracking

Are you kidding? The only thing keeping shale up was QE, and Yellen is getting booted soon so that's out.
We are heading into a period of insecurity. No matter what happens Oil is a safe buy( unless the economy crashes, but then, we are eating babies)

pardon my foolishness. What does QE have to do with shale?

They're trying to get into the Brazilian deep oil thing. This seems like a desperate move to me.

There are - what are they called, edge effects? Side constraints? Like where they're between a rock and a hard place - with nearly every major oil producer in OPEC. They don't seem to be in a position to control the oil price anymore.

Bump

>The only thing keeping shale up was QE

No.

Shale was profitable when oil was at a decent price.

>Bump

It's basically Niggers & their enablers vs. everybody else in the world now.

QE allowed cheap credit, which allows shake companies to paper over there "profits"
As an actual leftist, why do fascist scum keep trying to claim us?

Falling to resentment politics started by the rich makes you irredeemable.

Thanks for responding nicely to my first post, in light of the fact that you called me out in your second point. You could have easily gone with "are you fucking retarded... *explanation*. Also NAFTA and TPP vastly favor free trade, which makes U.S. manufacturing less competitive. This is due to the lack of Tarriffs on imports and present shitty laborer protectionism, i.e. horrible wages for foreign factory workers, in other countries. These policies benefit small businesses who can get things cheaper, and Foreign countries. However, it decreases Federal revenue, and really hurts manufacturing (which causes unemployment and a higher deficit).

Yes, you're a fucking dumbass.

You have to ask yourself exactly what kind of labour is a broad tariff protecting.

my 10 calls in RDSA are up 33% today. Eat your words so far, piece of shit. Also, I've made 2k more on CHK 9 dollar calls nigger.

actually sorry, that's 33% IN TOTAL. It sucks that I didn't buy the 1000 contracts because now im having difficulty buying just 70 at the .05 per share price.

When do the calls expire?

Maybe hedge it a bit.

January 20th. The goal is to capitalize on a possible increase of the stock toward the target, then sell the contracts. What's the best possible hedge on this position in your opinion? My account is not approved for selling calls unfortunately.

Update: Just tested liquidity... took me about 15 minutes to sell 10 contracts at .05$ per share. So even at this distance from strike to share price the liquidity exists, although it's extremely low.

>- How much are the fees, typically, for: keeping a portfolio open, selling stocks, buying stocks? Are there any other charges?
All of this depends on the broker. Generally, more expensive brokers are more reliable and offer better customer service.

>- What if I choose to sell some of my stocks and there isn't enough buyers. Will the stocks be returned to me or get sold to the next bidder for a lower price?
You say the lowest price you're willing to sell for and the system tries to match you to a buy order at or above that price, and you sell to that person at their price. If there isn't one, your order is entered in the books and you'll be matched with the next person who tries to buy at or above your price; in this case the transaction will use your price.

>- What is the likelihood of an online broker disappearing with my money? Should I worry about safety of my investments?
Won't happen.

>- What's a good website to track stocks?
You can get free info from Yahoo and Google. You can get really good info from ThinkOrSwim.

bump

ruthless self-interest bump (from starbucks)