THIS IS A SHITPOSTING THREAD

SHITPOSTERS ARE WELCOME

PROGRESS IS BANNED

THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTAND

Comfy

Remember to post progress!

Look i made a shitty android game in unity
slideme.org/application/doggodanger

You are not wrong. The movement after hitting the ground is a very nice touch.

I'd add
coneLight.setSoftnessLength(3f);

To make it look more comfy and natural

Looks like it could be expensive to process those particles. But snow is pretty comfy.

is this some sort of reverse psychology to ward against Sourceposting?

LW?

Reposting for feedback.

Since one of the ideas for the setting of my ARPG was 'magical girls' and someone suggested a card system for the combat, I tried coming up with one. Tell me what you think
>compose deck of 9-10 cards
>each card can have different effects, some are attacks that consume MP, other replenish it, etc
>in battle, you can only have 3 drawn cards at a time
>you can only use the card on the left
>when you use it, you put it back in the deck and a new card is drawn
>you can discard it without using it to draw another card
So I'm not sure if discarding should discard only the active card or the entire hand. Thoughts?

looks nice but how fast will it run on a toaster?

glsl shaders are annoying

it's probably because it was posted one post early

I'm seeing lots of high level unity-esque games but no low level graphics stuff, are there no autists here?

>LW?
i don't get it
i'm retarded when it comes to 3d modeling. im doing it in 3ds max. Is there something better for beginners?

Man, I think I will never understand python lists.

A word of caution for all python devs out there. ANYTHING MORE COMPLEX THAN A SINGLE VARIABLE IS NEVER ENCAPSULATED BY PUTTING IT INTO FUNCTIONS OR CLASSES. IF YOU CHANGE ONE OF THOSE WITHIN A FUNCTION OR A CLASS, THE CHANGE WILL AUTOMATICALLY TAKE EFFECT OUTSIDE THAT SCOPE WITHOUT EXPLICITLY RETURNING THE CHANGED COMPLEX(???) VARIABLE.

As far as I understand, this is caused by the fact that python complex(??) variables are entirely based on pointers.

I would allow use of any card in your hand, that way you could set up combos and synergy in your hand. Unless combat is super fast and simple.

I would have it so you draw your hand, you use the cards and either when all the cards in your hand are used up or you choose discard, then all the cards get tossed and then you draw a new hand.

Is 20,000 triangles for a staircase with a banister ridiculous?

How long is the staircase?

I created an unshaded particle material and set its color to yellow to use with traffic lights.
Not a chance.

if you are planning to release that game in 2030 then it is pretty okay

just go back to the old eyes user. they worked much better than any of the other designs you or others have proposed

It isn't 'ridiculous'

it's one floor but it has a landing half way.

I think you need to read about python more. In Python (and many other languages) when you pass a complex type to a function, you are passing a reference to that complex type, not the complex type itself. If you want to modify it without modifying the original, you will have to manually make a copy of it. This is normal behavior and not something you should be surprised by.

we don't know a damn thing about your game or this scene its in so its impossible to answer. I'm guessing you are not confident in your topology or you wouldnt be asking

It should be fine if it's a main element and the rest of the room doesn't have a high polycount

It's really the banister adding it up like that because of the detailing on the poles. I should probably change those assets. Not sure exactly how I'd maintain that fidelity though at a lower triangle count though, a normal wouldn't quite cut it.

how legit is to make html5 games, cloning some super mario world game and putting google ads on it?

Just show us the fucking staircase already.

I think I can foresee what is coming

Cool stuff.

I liked all the volumetric (or fake volumetric?) particles in The Division.

Super Mario World is not an easy game to clone, FYI

it is if you're a professional software programmer.

Why would you do this?

Why would people play this?

I'd rather just download an emulator and rom to actually play super mario world.

Not really

yea, I think I was just going overboard with that whole thing

I think I was more frustrated with all the thousands of python tutorials that adamantly claim that a function or class or object cannot modify anything outside themselves unless these things are explicitly returned. To learn about this little asterisk the hard way was pretty frustrating. And this seems to be a pretty big asterisk that should be written in big red letters.

how easy is it to clone dark souls as an indie dev?

About 204 difficulty units

Also a quick google search yields many websites that just have the game available to play no download on their sites.

Den't let Gogem read your post user. He'd probably say he could clone SMW in a week since it already exists.

I doubt it. Mario doesn't have a neck.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it isn't legit

Assuming you don't use Nintendo assets (sprites, names, music), it's definitely possible I know Canvas has issues with multiple entities on the screen at once though.

sup agdg, I've got a bit of a problem. I've been developing a game in unity for a while now and am looking to release in the coming months. My concern is that I've been using an asset from the store that I pirated from CGpeers. I'm also using hack for Unity called "Uniskin" which makes the UI dark like the pro version, and allows you to disable the default unity splash screen..

What I'm worried about is, if i release a game like this, will there be any way for someone from Unity to determine whether or not I actually have purchased this asset and Unity pro? Don't they have some kind of internal tools that they can use to verify things and cross reference with Unity accounts? Currently I have never linked a unity account to my installation, so when I build a version, there is no trace of anything to link back to right?

I just don't want to release a game and then possibly get some flak or a nasty email from someone saying "you're fucked mate, cease and desist, you're going to jail"

does anyone here have any insight on situations like this?

I think I can get something to that effect, will tweak it around later.

>I know Canvas has issues with multiple entities on the screen at once though.

??? are you just talking out of your ass because that makes absolutely no sense

where do you get your inspiration from?

Movies and old abandoned agdg projects.

the beautiful earth that G-d created

What happens when you type an o instead of that - ?

Oh boy, here I go.

>Unity Pro

Unity has the right to audit your company and computers. (part of the TOS agreement) It's pretty unlikely it'll ever happen but definitely possible.

turn into a goy

God bless /agdg/

>it has a landing half way
Yeah, I can see how that dramatically increases your tris.

what I mean guys is that I'm planning on making a portal website with clone games using stolen assets and putting google ads on the games.

>but there's hundreds of similar websites
except their games are garbage.

Amazing

First of all you are not releasing the next Minecraft, the chances of people let alone Unity actually finding out is very slim because you are going to reach NOBODY. On the other hand Unity can totally find out if you are using a hacked version of their software. Roll back to a legit version before shipping anything that you are going to sell as a product.
By playing games and being disappointing they never did X feature or explored Z theme more.

>there are more tris in a single banister post than the entire set of stairs
>it's the landing that's making the tri-count so high!

>except their games are garbage
have you considered why? some companies have bigger cocks than others

>except their games are garbage
Implying yours won't be.

>stolen Nintendo assets
Cease & Desist within the hour someone at Nintendo hears about this.

because they're made by complete amateurs.
there's not quality control on portal games.

good luck with all those million clones on the internet made on flash.

>tfw shit at gamedev because I rarely play games
Should I take a year off and play some games instead of devving? It's not even that I don't like games, I just can't force myself to start playing.

do you really need all those polygons for the following things

>the poles
>the edges of the stair steps
>the arc shaped thingie at the foot of the stairs

also, I think that a lot of these details can be achieved using tesselation or whatever it is called

>people should pay for my game, since it's my hard work and I deserve it
>I don't owe anyone anything for using their tools or software

I can smell the entitled millennial all the way over here in Canada

why are you devving to begin with?

mate, unless you somehow rake in 100k+ in sales, nobody is going to care.

Because I have ideas for games that don't exist yet.

>career as teacher but hate being around students
Why are you making yourself so unhappy?

>software programmer
here is the trap
there are people who might be able to optimize the fuck out of their code and squeeze the last drip of sweat out of their machines, but this does not mean they're capable of making a good game
there is a lot more to a game than it looks, especially when we are talking about something as finely tuned as a main-series mario title

It does though. It has issues displaying multiple (as in, a lot of) sprites at once.

What if you allow the combatants to stack the deck?`

>we're talking about cloning a snes game
>huh duh but you wont be able to make a fun game

>game engine has issues displaying multiple sprites at once

kek

What do you mean?

i havent played a new game in 5 years and im deving.

why? because there's a game i want to make which nobody has made yet.

I don't see how playing games correlates to your ability to make games. Just analyze the features of games you enjoy, and make your fucking game already.

Nice bait friendo.

>asset from the store that I pirated from CGpeers
What is this? Sounds interesting.

pirating? yeah its pretty interesting

a clone is unlikely to be successful if it's made by someone who looks at the game as superficially as "haha it's a 2d mario game mario jumps on turtles shell come out and he kick it it's just that simple" or says things like "cloning some super mario world game"

>make 100% acurate clone of some popular snes game
>how do you know if it will be fun

The deck isn't shuffled, the player chooses the order of the cards before a match, or maybe a group of matches if you want to limit how often they can change their build.

>remake Adventure
>"why is nobody playing my game?"

it guarantee it wouldn't be even close to 70% accurate in this case

this

just ignore this unless you somehow manage to get significant profit from your game, then just buy unity pro

Oh, I see. Yeah that could work, although, wouldn't that be the same as having a 10-card hand?

>make a rip off of a very revered snes game
>throw a ton of google ads into it
>mobile

>nobody will like it, obviously

Clones leave a bad initial impression that never goes away even if the game is good.

thanks for the help guys, I guess my plan atm is to just continue development and then when release time comes, buy the asset and unity plus, which should cost me total around $85

Does somebody have an idea how to make basic camera in LOVE2D?

I read this tutorial, but kind of doesn't make sense.
nova-fusion.com/2011/04/19/cameras-in-love2d-part-1-the-basics/
I'm not sure what push and pop do, wouldn't it work if I just made all objects move?

Tell me why I would go to some shitty website full of ads where some dude attempted to remake old SNES games, and probably failed at making them exactly the same, instead of just downloading an emulator and downloading a rom and playing the actual real game without it being covered in ads.

And before you say "b-but some idiots will go to it!", no they wont, downloading an emulator is the easiest shit, any idiot can do it, and they're much more likely to do that than try to find some shitty knockoff website.

>he doesn't know about flash games and browser games
>he thinks kids give a fuck about quality
>he hasn't seen the average quality in those portals
kek

>he thinks 4-5 year old kids know about emulators
>what are portals

>it would be 100% accurate because professional qualified software programmer with 12 years experience
>i-it doesn't need to be kids will eat it up anyway
dumb backpedaling poster

>comparing a free to play browser game to a paid desktop game

>I'm not sure what push and pop do
might want to go back to game maker

If you're so sure that it's going to work then why are you even asking? Just start making it. You clearly think it's a great idea, so there should be nothing stopping you.