As a cheeky Anglo, how should I feel about old Churchill?

As a cheeky Anglo, how should I feel about old Churchill?

One side of the flag-waving population think he is a hero, the other half think he was a war-mongering dick?

Oy vey, he's a war mongering dick

He did a lot of retarded things, but I'm not sure about warmongering, unless that's something from his navy days prior to WWI I don't know about. He was wise to the Hun, I wouldn't call that warmongering.

He was a war mongering dick but also a real character, which is why I like him.

It's a good example of how beneficial being on the winning side is for your post-war reputation.

A miserable, blundering drunkard. His Royal Navy career was the stuff of pure farce. He spoke bravely, but spent most of the war cowering and drinking in his office.

I think you are using the "Oy vey" meme wronglu

He was literally voted the greatest Briton in history. No one except muh intellectual contrarian cucks think negative of him

>No one except muh intellectual liberal cucks think negative of him

He was a hero, and a war mongering dick.

What said.
Only labourites and butthurt krauts dislike him.

As an American I was not aware of all the negativity towards Churchill until I came upon this board. I initially assumed it was from butt-hurt wehraboos but it seems to be more than that. What exactly did he do wrong?

Didn't mention liberal anywhere bud. He's adored by both sides of the aisle

What didn't he do wrong?

Hurr let's draw a country line right between rival Islamic factions

Not if I'm a jew.

He talked Eisenhower into the 1953 Iranian coup, making Iran into the shitposting cesspool it is today.

The Gallipoli campaign didn't really work.

He kept pushing for Operation Unthinkable, which in addition to being unthinkable was also unintelligent.

He hated Gandhi and wanted to keep the empire.

Of course, this is all why he was clobbered in the polls by Clement Atlee literally weeks after VE day.

The general consensus is that he was a good wartime leader and a poor peacetime one.

Don't forget about him getting paranoid about Labor.
Can't he be blamed for the failed Dodecanese Campaign as well?

Sometimes I wonder how WW1 would have gone if there had been even one intelligent CO on either side. How would a Napoleon or Scipio have done things differently?

>DUDE LE WEHRABOOS LMAO
>>>/reddit/

>How would a Napoleon or Scipio have done things differently?
They probably wouldn't. In the times of Scipio or Napoleon commanding and battlefield coordination was much much easier than during WW1. And the problem during WW1 was that armies lacked NCO's able to take initiative. Once somebody actually prepared their soldiers to fight like that you've had Brusilov offensive, Spring offensive and 100 days offensive.

>has a grand monument in Parliament Square
>Gandhi, who Churchill loathed and wanted dead, has one right next to him

Lel.

Although Churchill was First Lord of the Admiralty between 1911-1915 he didn't have a career in the Royal Navy as this was a political office, not a naval commission.

“I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion. The famine was their own fault for breeding like rabbits"

There's plenty more, as well as Gallipoli Campaign, Operation Unthinkable etc.

>“I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion. The famine was their own fault for breeding like rabbits"
What's wrong with him saying that?

>hurr let's exploit ethnic and religious conflict to maintain control over this resource rich region
Do you people really think European powers just drew random lines in a map and called it a country?

he never did any warmongering stop listening to retarded nazi memes

he did a lot of other bad shit but warmongering was not part of it

Well some parts of India these days are still literal shitholes, so maybe he has a point.

Also I don't see a problem with Operation Unthinkable. The partnership with the Soviets wasn't exactly smooth, and a contingency plan for if they tried to push further into Western Europe seems fine. The offensive part sounds like a load of crap, but he at least listened to his staff instead of pulling a Hitler.