Where were you when christian von koenisegg saved the combustion engine?

Where were you when christian von koenisegg saved the combustion engine?

youtube.com/watch?v=S3cFfM3r510

Overcomplicated for a DD car engines.

and VVT isn't?

What exactly is complicated about this? The valve map that will be done by the manufacturer and then put on the ECU where it'll live next to the various other maps that already basically never fail?

so heavier than a cam and offers no real power benefit?

You do realize that the biggest change this is going to bring to (((eco))) engines is the 25% increase to price and little else.

Did you even watch the video? I know you didn't because he specifically says the engine they were working with was at a minimum 15kg lighter and made 45% more power with their system.

aye, I will say it looks promising, especially because engines will be able to go higher revving without as much fuel efficiency loss, but my big big worry now is how reliable these first gen electropneumatic sensors will turn out to be. Having to do an engine rebuild every time one fails would make the rx8 on release look reliable.

>less material
>no cam
>no lifters
>no chain or belt and associated tensioners

>all replaced by a compressor, some lines and the lifters

This will come into production with a deal between freevalve and a manufacturer. The cost will be minimised to a point where it won't matter.

>replace precision machined camshafts with cheap pneumatic valves
>cost goes up
I don't think so Tim.

>but my big big worry now is how reliable these first gen electropneumatic sensors will turn out to be
Even if they're somewhat unreliable which I kinda doubt, the failure mode is the valve stays closed and the computer shuts down the cylinder. You'd have to have some kind of serious and sudden computer or sensor failure for the valve to open and hit the cylinder like it does if your timing belt jumps or breaks.

Looking at the cylinder head in the video, the lifters look super easy to replace.

I've been eagerly waiting for this to make it into production. It's so flexible in its timing, lift and duration that it blows out camshafts. You won't have the mechanical restraints like making sure the lobe ramps aren't too extreme among others.

>DOHC performance
>OHV size and weight

What's the catch? Honestly my first though is when is Ford gonna jump on this train to solve the Coyote's 'packaging' problem.

rotary valves are way less complicated and have been shown to provide a 25% increase in power and some fuel economy.
there's an old proverb about dead ideas but i don't remember it, it really fits here.

Screen cap my posts. You obviously do not know how to industry operates. The development of these pneumatic actuators must have cost quite a bundle, which in turn will increase the cost of the individual actuators exponentially, like how expensive coilpacks are over old school dizzy and coil. I will agree that performance wise, especially on larger engines, the potential is impressive but it wont be replacing camshafts in the average engines anytime soon.

The price of a engine/component is not determined by the cost of materials alone, but also the cost of development.

>The price of a engine/component is not determined by the cost of materials alone, but also the cost of development.

Winrar

>like how expensive coilpacks are over old school dizzy and coil
>The price of a engine/component is not determined by the cost of materials alone, but also the cost of development.
Do you really think that companies are still trying to recoup R&D money from the development of the ignition coil? Because your post seems to imply that.

Development costs are recouped early in production, not throughout the entire life of the product. In this case the early production will be on a car who's buyers will have no trouble eating the added cost when it comes as part of a multi-million dollar car.

I am going to slow it down for you. Lets take for example a mazda since i did one recently. The price of a entire ignition system (of a 1986 mazda) and by that I mean plugs, wires, dizzy and coil cost less than a single coil pack from a 2007 1.6 mazda etude.

The more expensive the development, the more expensive the component. Besides, when was the last time the automotive industry did not milk the shit out of something? Best case scenario the average joe will get stuck with a engine that keeps fucking up because the actuator is cheaply made by GM, as not everyone drives a koenisegg.

I agree with you all points.

but if you were right we would still be using dizzy's and not using coil packs.

what do you see on every new engine?
coilpacks

I am not saying that coil packs are not an improvement as it clearly is, dont get me wrong. I just used that as a example to say that this technology is going to be expensive, as previous anons tried to say it was going to lower cost. It wont.

You're comparing apples to oranges. This isn't EFI to the carburetor, this is EFI to mechanical fuel injection.

I thought F1's already used similar setup?

it lowers material cost not to mention allowing engines to provide the same amount of power but at smaller package sizes.

If this takes off, it will be in everything from Hyper cars to Boat engines.

I think the point he is making is that it isn't a direct correlation.

I don't think that the cost will be huge to implement these. it won't save costs but it won't be a major increase either

F1's use a pneumatic spring but still use cams. metallic spring wouldn't be able to close the valve fast enough

F1 still has cams because of the engine regulations, they use pneumatic springs though.

If F1 allowed camless engines this technology would basically mature overnight.

>using solenoids to replace camshafts

Why the fuck did they took so long?

>Where were you when Renault saved the combustion engine?
ftfy OP, you cum guzzler.

My thoughts exactly. Not even like it can be that expensive to build.

Solenoids never fail eh?

>the french
>doing anything remotely useful

A Y Y L M A O

Considering they've been used on fuel injection for so long, being able to work at the SAME SPEED handling a shit ton of pressure and work flawlessly (the good quality ones) and similar stuff has been in use with oil and fuel pumps for so long... Yeah.

Yeah.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if in not too much time they came up with a steering that works only with solenoids and electrical current.

AKA: Not assisted at all. Pure electrical steering.

>AKA: Not assisted at all. Pure electrical steering.
Been done, but it's generally illegal as the car has to be able to be controlled even after a total electrical failure (to steer it to a safe stopping place).

If you want to have drive-by-wire, you'd have to have as strict safety screening for cars as you do for airplanes.

Huh. Didn't knew that.

But yeah. Overall i dont know why it took them so long to use solenoids to replace valves.

Hell. I dont know what takes them so long to make the resin of the carbon fiber be able to withstand high temperatures to be able to make a full carbon fiber engine.

Even right now the ecoboost focus (i think its a prototype? or the Ford GT engine?) has partial carbon fiber on the connecting rods and the crankshaft.

Thermoplastics and epoxy resins generally only go to somewhere between 150 and 300 degrees Celsius before they get soft. That's not enough for most engine parts.
Also, it's both expensive and carbon fiber is a bitch to work with. Metals are a lot easier to machine to specific and exact sizes. Carbon fiber has to be moulded and can't be machined at all.

I can see things like engine blocks being unreasonable to machine, but you definitely can machine flat parts from a slab of that stuff. I've seen a cheap Chinese CNC mill churn out a couple sprockets and mounting plates from carbon fiber, the dust is really nasty shit though.

Yes. But the deal is that things like 3D printing and just basic technology advancements can help make carbon fiber creation easier. That, + resins that can go to higher temperatures mean that they would allow more cars to use more carbon fiber.

Imagine a fucking engine block made out of carbon fiber, pistons made out of carbon fiber, cyl head out of carbon fiber, valves made out of carbon fiber, crank and rods out of carbon fiber. Imagine how little power loss that thing could have or how high revving it could be.

The only metal parts would have to be the piston rings and the springs of the valves.

Just asking, but what advantage does Freevalve have over Multiair?

>minimum 15kg lighter
Than an equivalent DOHC setup, so probably no weight gains on a pushgod engine.
>and made 45% more power with their system.
Compared to an outdated engine, so 45% is way less significant than you'd think.

>Imagine a fucking engine block made out of carbon fiber, pistons made out of carbon fiber, cyl head out of carbon fiber, valves made out of carbon fiber, crank and rods out of carbon fiber.
It would melt.

IF the risin could withstand it, pal.

>projecting this hard to defend your shitty pushrod

But how can we get this to work with a dorito? That's the most important question, I feel.

I'm also more excited about using this in a motorcycle than a car. Being able to control the boost from the engine could help turbo bikes with their insane power surges. Kawasaki already has a 300hp production bike with a centrifugal turbo. Imagine what they'll do with this, and a turbo bike.
And they'll decrease the size of the engine, meaning more displacement. Because Kawi wants to kill you.

Jesus, all this wrong in a single post.

>But how can we get this to work with a dorito?
Wankels don't have valves.

>Kawasaki already has a 300hp production bike with a centrifugal turbo
Centrifugal superchagrer, not turbocharger. Learn the difference.

>And they'll decrease the size of the engine, meaning more displacement.
No displacement will stay roughly the same, because of government reuglations, and racing regulations.

Christian von Koenigsegg is so fucking awesome.

Multiair still uses camshafts for timing, the intake valves can just be decoupled from the camshaft. Freevalve completely does away with cams, the timing and lift are completely computer controlled for maximum power at any given time.

So a very minor advantage, since Multiair can effectively vary both timing and lift in the useful timing range, for either power or economy. It can even have multiple valve events. Basically, Freevalve is a bunch of added components with very little gained.

>Basically, Freevalve is a bunch of added components with very little gained.
Basically Multiair its like a good carb and freevalve its like a fucking fuel injection.

You can literally time the valves at your fucking pleasure to do whatever you want.

You want them to cross with the piston to fuck them up? you fucking can. You want an ECU tune to give you as much power as humanly possible regardless of camshaft advancements? you fucking can.

Freevalve its literally the future of combustion engines.

i have reason to believe that that may have been an awful trollpost

so not only can your cheap shitty ebay performance ecu chip lean your engine out to detonation, it can also get your valves whacked

Or have them get their own opening and closing at certain distance to be as efficient as possible. More choice = better performance
better performance = better.

no

>You can literally time the valves at your fucking pleasure to do whatever you want.
Just like Multiair then. The only point where Freevalve could do more with the valves is on different strokes, which has no purpose at all.

Except multiair requires high air pressure to work and its heavier.

>Except multiair requires high air pressure to work
No, hydraulic pressure. Freevalve works with air pressure (pneu = air).

>literally correcting me when i am not wrong

Ok. Keep shilling.

>Multiair is a hydraulically-actuated variable valve timing (VVT) engine technology enabling "cylinder by cylinder, stroke by stroke"[1] control of intake air directly via a gasoline engine's inlet valves.
>Hydraulics (From Greek: Υδραυλιkή) is a topic in applied science and engineering dealing with the mechanical properties of liquids or fluids.

>Called the Freevalve engine, it does without a camshaft and instead relies on electronically controlled pneumatic actuators and springs to individually open and close each valve.
>Pneumatics (From Greek: πνεύμα) is a branch of engineering that makes use of gas or pressurized air.
You're completely wrong.

>its heavier
[citation needed]

>being this assblasted

it's simpler in some ways than belts/chains, tensioners and camshafts

>>>more electronics, for each valve.

>lets make piston engines even more complicated while rotary engines handle all of this more simply

It's simpler and likely smaller and less weight, but it's going to be harder to see when there is a fault.

One sensor or actuator going bad anywhere along the chain can fuck everything up.

Presumably there'd be multiple other sensors too to see if one of the pneumatic, electronic valves stopped working. At least the spring seems to hold it in the down position so an engine could probably still run in limp mode until it's fixed, but I feel like there's so much to go wrong while in a mechanical system there is so little.

Did you fucking watch the video?
Saves a lot by removing shit that's not necessary anymore.