What did he mean by "King of Italy"? Why did he chose this title? Was it just a ceremonial title...

What did he mean by "King of Italy"? Why did he chose this title? Was it just a ceremonial title? Was he the leader of Italy as well as France? Does it mean he considered himself Italian?

Other urls found in this thread:

shannonselin.com/2015/05/napoleons-last-words/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm pretty Napoleon considered himself Italian or at least Corsican more then he did French. I think he tried to flee back to Corsica when the revolution started but he was apprehended and the rest was history.

>dude just wants to go back home because the Frogs are chimping out
>gets blackjacked before boarding the ship
>wakes up on the French Throne

>I consider myself Italian and not French
>therefore I will conquer Italy for France and bring Italian artifacts and cultural wealth back to Paris

He took deliberate measures to make himself more French. I'm pretty sure the title was to assert France's position as leaders of Italy. As they did have extensive holdings in north and western France.

That's how crowned dynasties work. People weren't citizens of a country, they were subjects of a monarch. Hence when he declared himself King of Italy he really meant "I am absorbing this place into France, which I also control".

So it wasn't "France taking over Italy". It was "Napoleon takes over Italy while also holding France."

Why did Napoleon choose Italy for himself, but leave the titles of Kings of Spain, Holland, Sicily, and Westphalia to his brothers? Could it be a sign of Italy being important to him?

He was a Charlemange and Romeboo

This. He was "crowned king of italy" is a misconception, first because it never happened, second because he established republics. Speaking of which, these are its claim to an italian sovvereignty: he founded various client states in italy, the Républiques sœurs (Repubblica di Alba, Repubblica Anconitana, Repubblica Bergamasca, Repubblica Bolognese, Repubblica Bresciana, Repubblica Cremasca, Repubblica Astese, Repubblica Piemontese, Repubblica Reggiana, Repubblica Tiberina e Repubblica Ligure.
These were subsequently -1796- merged into the Repubblica Cispadana and the Repubblica Transpadana, which again merged into the Repubblica Cisalpina in 1797) who formally recognized him as "king".
Tl;dr it meant he ruled over the majority of italy, nothing more.

Now this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the emperor of a country called France

In Ajaccio, Corsica born and raised
Studying military history was how I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all learning french inside the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my new king's neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my family got scared
Mom said, "We're movin' to the mainland in France to see Robespierre"

(someone continue this please)

I whistled for a carriage and when it came near
The license plate said "Frais" and it had girth on the horse
If anything I could say that this carriage was rare
But I thought, "Nah, forget it."
– "Yo, home to Par-is."

I pulled up to the mansion about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the coachie, "odeur plus tard."
I looked at my empire
I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Emperor of the French

My grenouille are in orbit.
Toppest Kek.

He conquered Italy in the name of France, annexed about half of it to the French Empire including Rome, wiped the Republic of Venice off the map, filled French museums with works of art plundered from Italy, and his dying words were literally "la France".

Yeah sure considered himself Italian.

Fuck that guy in particular

It's a subordinate title to "emperor of the French"

wtf i hate Napoleon now

KEK

Truly the greatest man to ever walk this earth.

>his dying words were literally "la France".
There is no official documentation about his last words, just multiple different claims, most of which with a political agenda behind them.

Only one man claimed Napoleon mentioned France on his death bed, and he is considered the least reliable of them all.

Learn more:
shannonselin.com/2015/05/napoleons-last-words/

What a Frenchboo poser

Well it could be that he said "Who retreats at the head of French army", since multiple report "Retreats at the head" part with some other words.

So his last words could be "La France", just at the end of a full sentence.

>he looted venice

goddamn frenchboo scum

>he wiped out Venice
wtf I love Napoleon now

>wiped the Republic of Venice off the map