How did short hair come to be associated with men and long hair with women? Unlike a lot of gender differences...

How did short hair come to be associated with men and long hair with women? Unlike a lot of gender differences, it doesn't seem to have a biological root.

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/his/thread/1394993
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good question.

Maybe it has to do with men balding and thus less hair is assiociated with masculinity

Short hair probably has to with the military.

Combat

Roman men had short hair, long haired men were associated with barbarians. On coins minted for barbarian kings, the most noticeable difference by far is that they appear to have huge spaghetti balls on their heads.

1 Corinthians 11:3-16King James Version (KJV)

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

The influence of the Roman Empire. Notably in Ireland (which was never invaded by the Romans) it apparently continued to be common (and even associated with Irish culture) until British colonisation.

>The Gaelic Irish (both men and women)[28] took great pride in their long hair—for example, a person could be heavily fined for cutting a man's hair short against his will.[29] When the Anglo-Normans and the English colonized Ireland, hair length came to signify one's allegiance. Irishmen who cut their hair short were deemed to be forsaking their Irish heritage. Likewise, English colonists who wore their hair long in the back were deemed to be forsaking their role as English subjects and giving in to the Irish life. Thus, hair length was one of the most common ways of judging a true Englishman in this period.

Having short hair is practical and comfortable. Also, you needed short hair in combat, hair might cover your eyes and the helmet must stay still and fit properly.

>doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
>their lord and saviour is near-universally depicted as having long hair
How do Christfags survive the cognitive dissonance?

>the helmet must stay still and fit properly.
Helmets were always worn with buffer between the head and the actual metal, you know. If anything, longer hair would bring more protection.

Why did they have to translate the Bible into English? Why can't those who wish to read the Bible just learn Greek or Latin?

The translated words are extremely dull and repetitive. The meanings that were beautifully expressed in Eastern languages have been lost in translation. Anglophones can't even contemplate that the words are entirely different in Greek and Aramaic, and as such they either take the Bible word for word or denounce it for its seemingly simple style.

We should totally have a big thread discussing bears in different cultures and time periods.

Imo I think that short hair is just considered cleaner.

As society gets used to cleaning themselves more often, the high end culture wants to make everyone clean cut.

ITT: people pulling stuff out if their asses

It's probably just about what's attractive

Short maybe, but in no way today's tier short on average.

Correct.

There have been a lot of periods and places when this was the case, hence a lot of answers in this thread, but for the present I think the world wars are the answer.

Several reasons

>Most males bald with age
>Short hair was the cultural norm for the Roman world, so the western world inherited it
>Long hair is impractical and a potential safety hazard in the military and many manual labour jobs, which throughout history are always overwhelmingly male fields

I thought the Spartans sported dreadlocks to protect their necks.

>Also, you needed short hair in combat, hair might cover your eyes and the helmet must stay still and fit properly.

Not really a huge problem. Just look at all the footballers with long hair.

Even after Rome men had long hair (although possibly confined to the nobility). For example pic related (William II of the Netherlands).

What about native Americans?

>"Does anyone know of the bear cult?"
>500 pictures depicting bestiality between a woman and a bear

THAT was a proper Veeky Forums thread.

>soccer
>anywhere near combat
Kys

Is this what you gentlemen are reffering to?
4archive.org/board/his/thread/1394993

>soccer
Burger detected.

Long hair was a sign of being pampered. Like flat chests, long hair is a status symbol.

The fuck does divegrass have to do with physical activity? Nobody said anything about hair hindering one's acting ability.

>Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
>Doth not even nature itself teach you

Gee I dunno. Nature gave me my long hair. Is nature a hypocrite?

Football has much bigger sprints and changes in pace than any expected pre-modern combat situation.

Drag queens use big ass hair as a feminizing technique, cause it makes your head look smaller.
While longer hair in men isn't necessarily seen as feminine in a lot of cultures, I can't think of any cultures where short hair is prefered for women.

Don't Masai women usually shave their heads?

short hairs more condusive for war, a masculine pursuit, get off my /hisssss/

Why did they have to translate the Bible into Greek and Latin? Why can't those who wish to read the Bible just learn Ancient Hebrew?

The translated words are extremely dull and repetitive. The meanings that were beautifully expressed in Semitic languages have been lost in translation. Grecophones can't even contemplate that the words are entirely different in Hebrew and Aramaic, and as such they either take the Bible word for word or denounce it for its seemingly simple style.

>I can't think of any cultures where short hair is prefered for women.
Any where the forehead was prized was likely to downplay the hair.

Hasidic Jewish women are expected to shave while the hair and beard for men is crazy. But they wear wigs after shaving nowadays, I don't know what the fuck is going on through their heads.

Male hair gets way greasier when it's longer and requires more care in general.

Not to mention the obvious disavantage of an enemy grabbing your hair

>you should trust something because it's beautiful
okay.

I love short hair on women though

men bald women don't

/thread

>/threading your own post
Please get run over by a bus, you worthless mouthbreathing newfag scumfuck trash.