How much of a chance a car manufacturer that makes cheap, reliable as fuck cars stand a chance in the US/Europe...

How much of a chance a car manufacturer that makes cheap, reliable as fuck cars stand a chance in the US/Europe? They'd have '90s shitbox tier entry equipment, no electronics, simple ass SOHC 2 valve-tier engines and they'd be simple to work on (aka no speshul snowflake bolts/screws that turn into butter as soon as you wrench it), and the main idea or selling point is that they would have no secrets held from the owner and any guy with a technical handbook and a bit of know-how could do not only maintenance but normal mechanic operations on it.
Of course, the styling and aesthetic would be modern, but without being overcomplicated internally.
Pic kinda related.

Not really sure what you're asking but yeah old Volvos are based, there will be a market for them as long as hipsters and old people exist.

I'm asking about a manufacturer that would start selling brand new very reliable cars that are basically modern chassis with mid '80s/early '90s tech that can be wrenched on without having to worry about electronics and if that manufacturer would stand a chance in the US or EU

There's probably a market for basic, affordable, quality stuff, but people really love their gadgets nowadays.

Being electronic doesn't make something inherently hard to troubleshoot, the way things are implemented determines that. The issue is that manufacturers are using electronics in the cheapest, shittiest ways possible.

Electronics for non-necessary systems is fine, but when you need it for your car to run (e.g. EFI) and it shits the bed and the only way you can fix it is by diagnosing your car with a computer it's a huge hindrance. Your average everyday dude who knows a bit about cars doesnt have that kinda shit, so it does keep him from getting his car to run.
Now, of course all manufacturers make it so it keeps people from working on their car, but even if it didnt, I see little way for it to not be a problem on working on your own car unless you sell computer troubleshooting kits in stores, which would cost you more than it would bring you in.

Safety and emissions.

It would not pass any regulation pushed in the western world.

>implying emissions wouldnt be respected
also, is there anything beyond airbags and crashtests you have to worry about safety wise?

EU represent

>dacia
>reliable
pick one

Maybe in a post-capitalist society when reliability and longevity is considered detrimental and a liabiltiy to profits.

Also, what the fuck happened to Volvo between the mid 90s and today?

Volvo shat the bed and joined the "make it breakdown every two seconds" bandwagon.
When I was working, we had to weld fiber in a volvo dealership. some guy entered saying he had 5 different oil leaks on his car that was from like 2006 and it just kept leaking oil.

Ford.

fiat punto 1.3 diesel owner here

my car is pretty much everything you mentioned, i say this as an auto enthusiast

sorry but your business idea is redundant

>implying a post '90s fiat is reliable
>implying a post '90s fiat is easy to work on
>implying they're not plagued with electronics
you fucking wish

Why dude, what non-autistic person would this car cater for?

>mid '80s/early '90s tech

Where will you sell those? Only in the USA market? Can you meet economy of scale needs in order to service them? You will also have lawsuits and TSB things to deal with assuming you have a dealer chain.

Your old tech requires exemption from USA EPA rules for cars driven in 2016. If you sell in europe, then you need approvals from European Community, Brexit land, and Switzerland.

Your old tech requires DOT exemption for some crash test requirements of cars manufactured in 2016.

Your old tech requires DOT exemption of some safety equipment requirements of cars manufactured in 2016.

How will you handle the negative reviews from Consumer Reports, Edmonds, and many other car review sources? It will create a huge word of mouth problem.

Your old style will please those who want to install 3rd party double-DIN as your dash won't be full of curvy custom controls and touch screens with car controls on them. You'll have lower cost physical sliders to switch from heat to cool for ducts. Manually operated side mirrors. Roll down/up windows. Manually operated sunroof.

I want that 5 MPH solid metal bumper. Can't wait until parallel parkers try to give me love taps in their plastic cars.

>How much of a chance a car manufacturer that makes cheap, reliable as fuck cars stand a chance in the US/Europe?

The chinese would simply COPY your car and outsell you due to their even lower price point. You have no chance because your profit margin is too slim to begin with and the chinese don't have the R&D costs you do because you paid most of it for them.

Said manufacturer couldn't pass emissions or crash standards and would have to produce and sell in Mexico, like the vw beetle

I know i forgot to mention it in the op, but the cars would of course be made to pass modern safety regulations ans emissions test.

The Chinese

Ford C1 platform

Dacia kinda does that and they're doing well

>They'd have '90s shitbox tier entry equipment,

Real mechanics learn to work on everything. This is a computer age and everyone here has vast knowledge and information at their disposal. Cars don't need to be easier to work on, noobs need to work to be better mechanics and take advantage of modern tech. If Americuck rednecks can spin wrenches and shoot wires on anything (they do) then no one else should snivel and be sadcunts about modern vehicles.

>I'm asking about a manufacturer that would start selling brand new very reliable cars that are basically modern chassis with mid '80s/early '90s tech that can be wrenched on without having to worry about electronics and if that manufacturer would stand a chance in the US or EU

No. It would be competing against all the much better USED vehicles. Try selling that shit in the Third World. Oh, wait, they cope too!

OP isn't going to start a car company anyway. Spend your time learning modern system troubleshooting. What one mechanic can do, another can do.