How come in 4-cyl performance cars, they usually for 2.0L of displacement instead of going up to 2.4/2.5...

How come in 4-cyl performance cars, they usually for 2.0L of displacement instead of going up to 2.4/2.5? Is benefit of having a shorter stroke vs more displacement?

the best balanced layout is 86mmx86mm

2.0L 4cyl
3.0L 6 cyl
4.0L 8 cyl
5.0L 10 cyl
6.0L 12 cyl

See DTM and SuperGT

also displacement taxes

forgot about those things

why is there so few 4l v8s?

For reference the Golf R, Civic Type R, AMG A45, Megane Trophy R, Cupra 290, S2000, GT86, etc are all 2.0L

0.5 liters per cylinder is apparently the most efficient

S2k also had a 2.2

Plenty in Europe

V8's are nicely balanced so there is little harm in going bigger. I don't know how Ford made a 5.2L flat-plane V8 rev to 8300RPM without shaking itself apart though

theyre quite a few from Europe arent they?

BMW
Mercedes
Audi
Jag
Rover

Because R4 is dog shit for balance and requires excessively sized balancing components as displacement grows.

The real question is why Subaru still uses 2.0L so much. Boxers are perfectly balanced, why not go up to a 3.0L flat-4 like Porsche?

>and then fix the BRZ with it

There are many kits to stroke it out to 2.3 liters or more.

Dodge had a hard on for big displacement 4 bangers. They've has turbo 2.2 and 2.5 liter engines. The 2.5 turbo III made the Spirit R/T the fastest sedan in the world for a period. The srt neon was 2.4

displacement tax

>in the world

lolno it wasnt

fastest in America

this car was already out by time the R/T hit the streets

because displacement memes in europe and japan

only for N/A

On inline 4 engines, after you pass a certain displacement, you have to start using balance shafts, which aren't particularly sporty.

Example: Mazda/Ford 2.0 vs 2.5

What about the 2.3 as seen in the Mazdaspeed 3 and Focus RS?

Toyota made the 4.0L 1UZ and put it in the SC400, LS400 and some other shit

It's not quite square, in fact it's 87.5x82.5 but it's a pretty fuckin solid engine

I've heard that boxers are only completely balanced in 6 cylinders or more

How is the 2.5L QR that Nisssan made? They put that in the Spec-V Sentras.

2.0l ecoboost has a balance shaft

Was ok but had issues early on. Precats were too close to engine and if the material broke apart it could be sucked back into engine leading to oil burning. Theres turbo and supercharger kits for it as well.
I remember it as torquey more than rev happy but i had stock altima with autotragic. The 5/6 speed are way better

It's for MPGs because they are all just econoboxes