Can someone explain how net worths are calculated. Let's take Bill for an example...

Can someone explain how net worths are calculated. Let's take Bill for an example, from what I understand most of his net worth is just shares in Microsoft, so if for some reason Microsoft were to go bankrupt would he suddenly go from the world's wealthiest to just another millionaire? His house and cars and everything probably make up 200 million at best and how do they know how much he has in the bank? How much of Microsoft does he own?

Is it the same for all the other billionaires in the tech industry like Larry Page and Elon musk too?

Gates is diversified through his holding company, Cascade Investments, but if Microsoft went bankrupt he would lose slightly less than half his net worth.

>but if Microsoft went bankrupt he would lose slightly less than half his net worth.
How did you come to this?

What's a holding company?

Are you old enough to browse Veeky Forums? 10-year-old questions, I have to say.

Just go to Bloomberg/billionaires if you want to know how they calculate billionaires' net worth. Or read Forbes' method.

If MSFT went to zero Bill would lose roughly 1/8 of his net worth.

Are you fucking kidding me Rn
This is not a Veeky Forums question
This is a year 9 business question
Or google

kys

>What's a holding company?
GET OUT

when you own 10% of a company, you must disclose how much you own
it's good form to disclose even if it's just 5%

bill has a billion invested in numerous companies like mcdonalds, coka cola, berkshire hathaway, and a canadian railroad

he's pretty open about his positions once he's done acquiring them

Oh fuck off. Why would I be here if I already knew everything there is to know about all this? I'm here to learn.

Stop asking questions that a fucking google search or wikipedia can answer.

open up

fuck them, keep asking bro

If microsoft went bankrupt, Bill Gates would lose 1/64th of his net worth

bill personally has shares in hundreds of company's. Oil, energy etc, he would still be up there, even if Microsoft was to somehow go broke.

To answer your first question, its hocus pocus guessing for the most part.

Just look at Donald Trump. Estimated to be ~$10Billion before running, then they were able to use the same data to suggest he had "only" a few million.

In the end net worth is all speculative and really meaningless.

One thing you begin to learn as you earn more and more wealth for yourself is that money starts to lose its meaning. If you buy a $10k plot of land, do you really still have that $10k? Some would say yes, some would say no. Some would say you have more than that now in terms of opportunity. Every 1 acre of land can produce ~$9k worth of Christmas trees. So if you buy 2 acres for $10k, is your land worth $10k still? Is your land worth the $18k you can make off trees?
Is it worth $28k combining both? Is it worth some fraction of that $18k since you need to wait ~8 years for the investment to pay off, and include the risk of something like a wildfire? And so on.

Is there even enough printed cash in the world to account for the total networth of the "1%"?? I haven't researched but I doubt it.

Net worth is nothing more than real life Xbox Achievements for rich people to stroke themselves over and gloat about at dinner parties.

>Estimated to be ~$10Billion before running
The only person estimating that was Trump himself.

salsa and ketchup are nothing alike

Assets minus liabilities equals net worth

It isnt rocket science

A holding company is a company that trade/hold stocks

What did you mean by this?

If microsoft went bankrupt he would lose 1/128th of his net worth

Really makes you think