Is there a point in tuning old cars when new ones are making 600hp~ stock?

Is there a point in tuning old cars when new ones are making 600hp~ stock?

Can you afford those new cars?

/thread

This and this , but also keep in mind that anyone doing any serious tuning is usually someone who has dedicated their lives to cars.

It's still overall cheaper to do in most cases, and with less bullshit electronics

But takumi and company werent racing with 20 year old cars.

Who wants to eat that much depreciation?

Besides, once you're above about 400hp it really doesn't matter much anymore on the street.

I've been wondering that myself. Sure, i've modded it so that it's more powerful then the cars of the same few years span, but these newer cars have 430, 450, 470hp and higher. Granted they're heavier but shit man, it's kinda disheartening having to keep putting money in the engine to keep up with newer stock cars.

Transmissions too to a point. Yeah, I've built my gm slushbox to be crisper and hold more power, but I've only 4 speeds as the newer cars have 6,8, and 10 speed autos. I'd thought about a full manual valve body and a ratchet shifter, but now I may as well wait until there's a mainstream way to mate a 6 or 10 speed auto into my shitbox with some kind of aftermarket Trans ecu and put a shifter and valve body in that.

Shits advancing at an astounding rate and I don't really know where to draw the line between this old car and just getting a new one.

Why can't you throw a couple grand at a turbo for 1000+ hp?

it depends on what you are looking for. If ALL you are looking for is pure performance, then just look at new cars.

if you are looking for the aesthetics of the car as well, then maybe get an older car and if it's performance is lacking just tune it to beef up it's output.

I know I would rather have a 60's mustang and maybe tune it, than a current gen mustang stock. (or even tuned)

You like it though? Seriously considering getting a ws6 for my next car

>tfw c4 is my favorite corvette

I daily drive it though and 1000 turbo hp would be hell to drive erryday, and it'd be way more them 2k to do it the right way. Been thinking about a take-off supercharger from an ls9 or lsa.

You should, theyre so much fun. I've put over 260k miles on this one and I'm seriously thinking about getting a roller just like it and swapping the drive train out.

Definitely. Most new cars are PIG FAT. Take an E30, put some money in to it, and you can destroy new cars with your 2500 pounds and 400hp.

Now more than ever.

First of all, you get more performance per buck if you begin with a good platform and choose the right aftermarket parts. Second of all, you can have the car you want exactly the way you want it and make sure nobody has one like it. Third, older cars are easier to mantain and keep on the road, and that is a concern when you're dealing with high performance stuff.And, finally, you'd become fucking knowledgeable instead one of those cuckolds with more money than sense and talk about clutches and turbos in "stages".

I drive a 800kg dark purple supermini with 180hp@12psi@6500rpm and 380hp@35psi@8500. In dollars instead of niggerland pesos it was around US$6k. Try to find a car that quick out a showroom and you'd be looking at AT LEAST 30k.

I don't know what you've done with it so far but people make some pretty crazy NA builds with these things

>what is a boost controller

Besides that, yeah, you're right. Doing things properly costs way north of 2k. Any dumb fuccboi can slap a chinesian eBay turbo to anything but it'll last months at 8psi and mere minutes at anything over 15psi. That said, 600HP for under 10k is absolutely doable and that includes money for supporting modifications like proper tyres, drivetrain, a standalone ECU, etc.

Buy C5 base for 15k with 80k mi

Put aggressive voodoo cam in to get 400hp. Finished.

That's all the car you need for "sport", and it cost less much as a new civic. There's no reason to spend 40k on something decent that's still slower.

It's a cam swap away from around 450rwhp (that's what others are getting with my parts plus the right camshaft). I have a stock truck cam in there now that's wrong for the heads but still makes more power then a few ls1s I've run against.

I've seen some ls3 builds that are 700+ horse NA (which is incredible to me, 10 years ago ls1 h/c/I 550hp packages were at the limits of what was being done NA) but street manners, price, longevity, and the ability to put it together myself weigh heavily in my plan with the whole thing.

It would have a boost controller, what I'm worried about (this is a hypothetical build btw, it will probably never happen with this car) is that with a turbo designed for making 1000+hp on a 364ci engine is that it makes the majority of its power at 6000+ rpm. That's awesome, I love it so much, but low speed manners would really suffer.

I was thinking twins. More specifically holset hx35s. I've been waiting for a few years for lsx guys to do something with them and have been following a guy that did this with a 4.8 in a square body Chevy truck and it seems to work great. Of course since I've been wanting to do this factory LSx superchargers have become a thing and even with all the pride i have in my abilities I will admit that a supercharger is probably better (reliability, labor-wise, and cost-wise) then some home-built turbo system I concoct under my carport.

Honestly though, I've about gotten tired of dumping money into it. I need to get this jeep running.

I dislike your garage add-on but you got me mirin that mo fukken army jeep.

FUCKING THIS
older cars, especially coupes, didn't have the obesity issues that the new ones do, and when you tune the older svelter models to 500-600 HP, the effect is greater

Power to weight ratios and cost.

Thanks. It's a money pit as well. I just snapped an exhaust stud off at the block the other day, now need to buy a 90° adapter for my Dewalt to drill it out, and even then, there's not a whole lot of room with that firewall right there. There may be a 4.8 in its future, haven't decided yet. I need to get the car and four wheelers squared away first.

its fun

I find older cars feel better to drive, the steering doesn't feel as assisted, they are lighter, and they have more character

>that everything

awesome picture, beautiful car