It took the Greeks 500 years to figure out adding more men and making longer spears

>it took the Greeks 500 years to figure out adding more men and making longer spears

And then they got btfo by Romans with daggers

they got overtaken by a maratime economy get over it

and the romans got BTFO by people with bigger daggers.

So historically speaking, what was the greatest melee weapon of the ancient world?

Axes

Round rocks.

Katana

this is bait

The bones of your enemy

>agrinarian axemen
>premier shock troops of the greeks had axes
>greeks were the premier people of the ancient world
>therefore the axe was the premier melee weapon of the ancient world.

checks out.

Spears

Bows and Spears.

Ya call that a spear?

Horses

It's a pretty out there concept. Take that soldier in your pic-- on his own, he can hardly maneuver his shield since it just hangs off him and that spear can't be used once an enemy closes in to use a sword or ax or even a smaller spear in the same way a 6 or 7ft spear can be choked up on to fight closer opponents. This is a total disregard for the ability of the individual soldier in an attempt to make a stronger overall unit. This attempt ended up being rather successful, but try convincing a soldier to give up most of their defensive ability and use a spear that's bending over it own weight that can't be used in a normal fight.

>BTFO by Romans who Zerg Rushed legions on them,
FTFY.

Romans literally played the numbers game on the Greeks.

Plus the maniple system was just superior to the phalanx in its versatility and maneuverability.

Nah. In Pyrrhus' wars, they already had the Maniple system and they still lost battles.

Pyrrhus - you see- was the last person to ever use the Macedonian Phalanx as it was intended (i.e. the whole combined arms schtick.)

I also recall that he adopted bits of the manipular system to help protect the flanks of his phalanxes. The guy's kinda underrated honestly.

You're correct, I realize now the discussion was specifically on the macedonian phalanx and not Greek warfare in general.

For that have the world famous Pyrrhic quote
>If we are victorious in one more battle against the Romans we will be utterly ruined.

It's a shame really. Pyrrhus was actually a pretty solid general. Any other time in history and he probably would've been a famous hero.

The brain

Sharpened Nubian cocks.

>gladius
>dagger

That's the joke

The M16

Gladius and scutum.

He is famous though, not the highest degree but phyrric victories are still victories, I'd rather be remembered for tragic victories than not be remembered

Minor thread hijack, can someone point me in the direction of good books to learn about pike and shot warfare specifically, and the 1500s-1700s in general, as I am an Amerifat and we just gloss over that area of history aside from >muh pilgrims.

The cock.

A rifle and bayonet.

Grladius and scrotum haha

makedonians are not greeks

Total War is not real life there was no such fucking thing retard.

Spear

>b-but muh peasant weapon!

yeah I'm sure egyptian pharaohs were such peasants

As usual no one on Veeky Forums can actually answer why it took so long to develop a pike. You guys are fucking worthless in every way.

>good books to learn about pike and shot warfare specifically
Several, can you read swahili?

Several, can you read norse runes?

Several, can you read english?

How were Phalanxes capable of stopping and harming a shield wall like the Romans? Wouldn't the spears just get deflected aside as the ranks come closer?

I am interested.

I see someone bought the Veeky Forums pass

They weren't. That's why Greeks got rekt.

The Romans didn't use a shield wall against phalanxes

They did you dumb homo.

Pyrrhus was born in the wrong time.

He would have been one of Alexander's top generals and carved out a kingdom for himself after his fall.

But he comes to power of a relatively unimportant state (fuck you it wasnt important) against a super power that could afford to lose entire armies and not give a single fuck.

The Shield wall would advance right into the pikes and try to push in.

The sheer weight of numbers and length of spears mean they get held off. The pikes are poking a few dudes dead. Anyone who breaks formation is skewered completely.

I would hate to be the legionnaire who was there just to keep the pikes busy.

This.

The reason Romans won was because that while they fought in an ordered formation, each Roman legionnaire was capable of fighting individually and his fighting style wasn't reliant on holding that formation with the guys around him.

The Roman combat against a phalanx was basically this
>throw pilum at Greek shits
>some end up hit, opens up holes in spear wall
>walk into that hole and get past the pokey bits
>greek shits can't poke you anymore, but you can stab them with your short sword
>repeat

Also keep in mind that it was still bloody work, but Rome could afford the kind of casualties that would ruin any other nation, and over time they ground down all the greek states who fought with the phalanx

the pen

Rome wasnt an overwhelming force by the time Pyrrhus was around. It had trouble controlling its Italian Allies at that point, who were still pretty much what it says on the label: allied states.

It could still accord to lose a few times

Its why Pyrrhic victory is even a thing

real life isn't an MMO

>katana
>ancient
RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

A maniple or legion could never tackle a phalanx head-on though, even at Cynoscephalae the Romans lost ground whenever they met it face-to-face.

Polybius thought that a well-formed phalanx was basically impervious to projectiles since the ranks after ranks of projected pikes could knock away anything that was thrown at it, and any time the Romans at Heraclea tried to do crazy shit like hacking off the pike points or rolling underneath them they just got easily picked off by the Epeirote phalangites.

It's not the capability of legionnaires to fight as "individuals" but it's definitely that maniples/cohorts could just break off into clumps and act independently. That, the rough ground at Cynoscephalae that broke up the phalanx's cohesion, and the fact that the Macedonian cavalry just fucked off meant that the Romans were able to butcher them when they started routing.

>Any other time in history and he probably would've been a famous hero.

But he WAS famous, big time in ancient world even when alive. Today everybody remembers him for his phyrric victories over romans but the romans lost more men than he did.

Good point, I forgot to add in the bit about the mobility of the maniples themselves.

I suppose I should have worded it more like "the legionnaires weren't literally fucked if they lost unit cohesion like the phalangites were"

You are right with axes but your explanation is shite.
>Greeks got btfo by Romans
>Romans got btfo by Franks
>Franks used axes
You're welcome.

anyone not saying their own body is grade A weaponised autism

Weren't Hellens all over the Eastern Med adopting thureophoroi to support their flanks alongside their retardation of making heavier and bigger phalanxes?

axe beats sword beats spear beats axe

Wasn't the Frankish axe use just Roman javelin volley except with Franciscas? They threw light axes to fuck the enemy formation.

>The sheer weight of numbers and length of spears mean they get held off. The pikes are poking a few dudes dead. Anyone who breaks formation is skewered completely.

but each spear is held by only one man in one hand, whereas the soldier on the shield's end is pushing with the force of the soldiers behind him too.

also the scutum is very large and curved and would deflect a thrust aside completely, the spears at the back held higher coming down wouldn't chop so well and wouldn't be able to be used effectively to stop him from rushing in further and attacking the first phalangites

my dick

They held the pike in both hands. The shield was attached to their forearm.

They also had three ranks worth of pikes pushing. If the roman shield wall tried to just push through the pikes, there would probably be a lot of pikes slipping through gaps between shields, disrupting the formation and allowing guys in back to poke them through the holes.

Start with the Greeks

>axe beats sword
No.

a) Busy them while getting auxiliary troops to flank them on the sides or back
b) expand the phalanx row-width, and expand the row-length in the middle and try to divert them to attack the middle, while have the sides encroach in.
Thuycdides mentions both getting used in the Peloponnesian war. Even though it seems like the typical phalanx consisted of 8 rows, with each row containing 8 men (so a total of 64 men), he mentions in a bunch of battles and skirmishes with how commanders widened or deepened their phalanx when facing each other.

sword op

LOL

>pike and shot
>and shot
>shot
>start with greeks
nigga, early modern pikes and hellenic pikes were completly 2 different things. Only similarity was rectangle of guys with long brown shafts. I won't explain further because i'm going to sleep
cheerio mate

Probably because that's actually a bad idea in the context of classical greek cities with their awful cavalry and lack of useful supporting infantry.

Take an army in classical greece and form them in a Macedonian phalanx, and the shallower Greek phalanx is going to flank them on BOTH sides and destroy them literally every time.

You need several centuries of development of competent light and medium infantry as well as cavalry to make it work.

Except agrinains primarily fought with javelins.

He was literally world famous. As in regarded as one of, if not THE best general ion the Hellenic world. When people heard he was going to fuck off to italy, he was literally given troops by other rulers to encourage him to stop fucking their shit up.

According to eyewitness accounts, the pikes would simply pierce the shields.

Even if they don't, you can ground the tip in the shield and then the guy stops. You're not walking through the pole no matter how hard you try, and if you step back, he's going to thrust into you. On top of that, a long pole slamming into the corner of a shield can and WILL cause it to move, especially when it's just gripped in the hand.

Rome was considered a barbarian backwater at the time. A Hellenic general losing to the latins was what put rome on the map, as far as the Hellenic world was concerned.

>muh pilum
Literally every period account makes it clear that the pilum did fuckall to the phalanx.

>also the scutum is very large and curved and would deflect a thrust aside completely,
The curve is not sufficient to deflect anything but a hit towards the edges, user. Nor was it always curved. Even chance it's flat, especially in this period.

The phalanx and later pike and shot formations bear only passing resemblance ot each other, user.