I am a 23 year old at a bit of a loss. I have been told I have the right mind for business...

I am a 23 year old at a bit of a loss. I have been told I have the right mind for business, and the managers I have worked for (games store, electronics store, hotel, bar) have all confirmed this.

The question is, what do I do with this information? Do I get a degree? Do I work the corporate ladder? Do I learn to trade stocks?

I know this field is the one I want to delve in to. I just don't know where to start.

So what's your skillset?

I have virtually none.

I reach and exceed sales targets when they are given to me, and I have managed small teams before, as well as merchandising quite a bit.

Sounds more like you can't do anything at all. No offense though

What have you sold so far?

so go into sales

Most traditional route is to get a valuable degree, work a high salary job and invest the savings in stocks.

Untraditional would be to work a high risk, low qualification job with high pay, create your own business with the savings, and build from there.

If your business is intellectual, like programming, then you could get an angel investor for your idea.
But not if your idea is for something that requires physical design and raw materials that you do not already have.
Maybe if you have an invention and a working model, but not one of those pedestrian "I gawd a grade bidnis idea" ideas.

None taken, I agree. TV's, computers, phones, etc.

I am aware that I have no skills, my question is more related to what I spend my immediate future pursuing.

I should perhaps rephrase. In meetings, day to day activities, and when leading a small team, I have been told that the way that I think about business-related problems is similar to how a person SHOULD be thinking if they were a business professional. Knowing that I have that kind of aptitude, what should my next steps be?

That is a great answer, thanks.

In your mind what constitutes a valuable degree?

Is there such a thing as a low qual - high paying job? And when is a job ever high risk?

Any experience with websites or blogs?

I literally just told you, go into sales.

Law, medicine. The professions.
Dentists are rolling in it.

Oil rigs. Actually, I'm not sure about the qualifications there, but their standards can't be too high. They make similar money to the upper middle class, the professions, even though they aren't seen as high class.
Similar story for construction, plumbing, electricians, etc. But all these jobs are hard on the body. Therein lies the risk. You need a plan to get in and out before your knees do.

Not at all but I am a quick learner.

Oh I see what you mean by that now. I never really looked at those professions in that light.

The issue I find with Law/Medicine/Veterinary/Dentist is the time frame. If I was doing a job (say as an electrician) for 80k a year, doing 8 years of medical school would only be worth it if you worked for a long time.

80x15 = 1.2M

100x7 (100k for doctor - 8 years of training) = 700k

I don't equate being a salesmen to being a businessman. I know they fall under the same umbrella but there is a cap depending on what you sell on your earnings.

A Ferrari (cheesy example) salesmen would stress constantly about making the next sale and I doubt would make upwards of 100k a year, whereas an accountant can just turn up to work every day.

Except the salaries won't be 80k vs 100k...

Drop some contact information. Maybe we can agree on smth

Don't go into any of that shit.

Look around you at the retail stores and services being provided in your area. Now think, can you deliver any of these in one of a cheaper, closer or more efficient way?

If yes, pursue a retail or service store in that regard. There is a big misconception underlying a lot of rookie business people that makes them think they need some creative, innovative idea to make it. You don't. All you need is to slightly optimise an already existing service and build from there.

You say you excel at meeting sales targets in the electronic department. Start sourcing reasonable quality merchandise from China, focus on location (remember tourist areas = more business) and start your journey.

>hereas an accountant can just turn up to work every day

Is this the life you imagine for yourself? Punching a clock and wasting away at your desk every day?

That's true. But on the other hand, you wouldn't be exposed to the physical risks of the tradey jobs. Who would want to be a 60 year old electrician? On the other hand, a 60 year old doctor is still sitting pretty.

Secondary consideration. The professions have much better networking opportunities. They get more respect because of the intellectual effort required to get their position. Plumbers, meanwhile, do not get respect from their employers. They'll be polite, but networking is not happening.

One thing I would add, though. Vets have worse networking than dentists, who have worse networking than doctors, who have equal networking to lawyers. Roughly speaking.

There are many ways of looking at it.

It's called having a job, user.

I would but my email address is my full name. As great an offer as that is, this is still Veeky Forums.

You are welcome to provide me with some first and let me get into contact with you.

[email protected]

how to become accountant without accountancy degree?

How does a person without a degree get the funds to do this though?

If you have read the OP then that obviously isn't what I am asking. I was using the profession as an example.

I agree with this, but I guess I should make the point that i'm not interested in those kinds of professions (read OP), I didn't say I was apt at anything other than business.

Well, if you want to start a business with minimal capital - my suggestions were about ways to get capital - then I'd advise intellectual property.

South Park made a fortune just from its character designs, t-shirts, etc.
Charismatic businessmen like Donald Trump have turned themselves into their own brand, and sell their own image and name as if it were a logo.
JK Rowling is richer than the Queen, and all the capital she needed was the time and equipment to write.

Obviously, you're not suddenly going to turn into an artist just because you see the opportunity there, but you could become a manager of those who create intellectual property.

A ghetto example would be a wordpress site crammed with commissioned articles from Indian freelancers who want rice and lentil money. The manager's capital in this case is his access to hard western currency; even if its not a lot, the exchange rate makes it count for a lot to Indians.

Oh that wasn't a dig at OP. I was genuinely asking because I wanted to know if it was possible.

10minutemail you mongoloid