I'm in the process of repainting the rusted parts of my undercarriage

I'm in the process of repainting the rusted parts of my undercarriage.

Does anybody else do this or am I just obsessive? Rust is my mortal enemy. Pic is not mine, just some random image from google.

Never handled rust before. Dont you have to sand it to bare metal, prime, and repaint it?

I repainted mine last year. Rust is the only thing I really bother to deal with on the body and undercarriage, otherwise it will eat up the car at some point. Fucking salt, man.

You could sand it, but since it's under the car and nobody is going to see it, it's not a big deal.

What I did is take a dishwashing brush from the dollar store and scrub the rusted areas to remove as much dirt and rust as possible.

Then I spray pic related over all the metal parts. It's a flat matte black, doesn't require a primer, and can be sprayed directly over rusted metal. I put on 2 or 3 coats, and it lasts a few years.

I live near the Great Lakes so I'm in the rust belt. Fuck salt indeed.

Where do you get that? My battery exploded under the hood of my ford and I need to paint it to prevent the rust from spreading.

Rust Check is a Canadian company but I think they have some dealers in the US. Try the dealer search on their website? Otherwise you might have to order it my tripfag friend.

I've been using it for years though, it's a great product. It comes in different colors, and there is also a gloss black.

Could I use it over regular, faded paint. Might do the whole bottom of my hood

Yeah it's primerless so you can spray it over anything metal. Just try to smooth out the surface first.

>battery exploded
You take pictures of everything faggot, post it.

Sand/grind, prime and repaint. Its also a good idea to put some proofing ontop of it, either the thick mud-like stuff or just oil

Undercarriages are easier than bodyparts as you dont have to get it perfectly smooth. Planning on doing my Hilux when the opportunity presents itself

Paint by itself is a temporary solution. Here's what I do.

>pressurewash the underside
>wirebrush to the rust
>brush diluted Muriatic acid on exposed metal
>neutralize acid
>paint with rust converter of choice.
>paint with machinery paint of choice
>spray waxoyl

>spray waxoyl

My uncle use to drive older cars up from Sc, NC and sell them at a premium for being rust free.

Rust always comes back if you just do the sand/paint on the outside of a body panel.

If you don't want it to come back, the only choice is to replace the panel, or cut out the affected area plus about 6 inches on any side, sand/paint the backside of the metal, and then patch the hole you just made.

Or just do like I did and lay so much fiberglass over the rust that the stains can never seep through, and the fiberglass is strong enough to take the place of the metal. Should probably only do that on non-structural components with cars you really don't like though.

My local walmart sells some other brand of this

Rust requires oxygen, if you smother it so it can't breathe, it won't spread.

I've heard horror stories that were confirmed true. Shop teacher in High School had acid burst into his face after prying a battery open with a screwdriver

Lubisz piwo?

>Pic is not mine, just some random image from google.
eat shit

get this from a local Ace Hardware, if you have one

Well what I think happened was I never put water in it, so the fucker started producing hydrogen. Then a spark between the plates under stress caused it to blow.

That's what I need. Dope.

I'll admit, you fucking got a good chuckle out of me, and now the dog is looking at me like I'm retarded

You can't typically just coat rust and have it go away....
Por15 is known to work pretty good at chemically converting and sealing
but spray paint isn't doing shit

In my experience, the only thing that will stop corrosion like that is FluidFilm and its the only thing that I use on my cars in wisconsin.

It forms an organic oil wax layer on the metal. Its made out of lanolin (sheep wool oil, im srs look it up. it smells like sheep when you spray it).

It will halt rust if you cover most of it.

Or just put a pinhole in your drive shaft seal and let God coat your underside with oil.

No, it will keep you going. Especially where you live. It's a good investment imo.