What should I know about tires besides how to size them?

What should I know about tires besides how to size them?
Are chinese tires shit? is Accelera shit?
What kind of tires do you guys get?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15508228#p15508228
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When i got tires for my beater i just got the cheapest chinese garbage possible. If you want to keep a car you like driving nice, it depends on your weather, roads, and other climate factors

michelins are best.

good one matt!

it's not just him. ericthecarguy likes em too.

You should look up something called treadwear. Basically, the higher the number the longer the tyre will last but the lower the grip, the lower the number the more grip you'll have but the tyre will last less.

I just got some Goodyear Assurance Ultratours for my Subaru, I was going to get Yokohama Geolandar AT/Ss but they discontinued them in the size I need. So far I like these, they are not a performance tire but good in wet and snow and 70k mile warranty

true but its generally only good for comparing tires amongst a brand.

200 tw nittos are going to be different than 200 tw linglongs (if they even exist)

Agree, that's why I said basically. The speed and load indexes can be applied across brands, if I'm not mistaken.

All seasons aren't too bad unless you live in Arizona or Alaska.

I work at Costco and I will never get another set of non Michelin/bf Goodrich tires

>Are chinese tires shit? is Accelera shit?
Some chinese tires are mentioned in the chinese cars archived thread at archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15508228#p15508228

Best tires that fit your needs and budget. NEVER BUY CHINESE. Consumer reports did testing and it was atrocious.
Tires are too overlooked by "enthusiasts"
They are very important.

Never buy shitty tires. Spend the money. It's your safety and performance on the line.

i go to the junkyard for wheels+tires. its cheaper than new tires and if you sell the old wheels you make money back

>NEVER BUY CHINESE. Consumer reports did testing and it was atrocious.

The chinese attacked Consumer Reports reviews as being inaccurate or inapplicable. It was a usa company, but one that was selling chinese tires, so it was probably owned by the chinese. Anyways, Consumer Reports was accused of using invalid tires in the tests because those tires were sold to consumer reports without authorization. Thus they were not considered to be official tires of the company.

I think the chinese company is doing legal word sophistry as they always do. They made it. The tires were released to distributors by the factory and sold in standard official distribution chains. To then say that the company didn't authorize those tires to be sold to consumer reports for testing is pretty cynical legalism. With that kind of logic, the chinese company can deny any purchaser their warranty as it can be claimed to be an unofficially approved sale.

Chinese made tires are junk, as are most any pacific-rim tire. Exceptions are Bridgestone and Yokohama from Japan, and Kumho from South Korea. Unfortunately, Kumho also has plants in China, so beware.

Michelin is top tier. BF Goodrich is wholly owned by Michelin and produces the best off-road tires.

Good Goodyear: Triple Tread and Comfort Tread
Bad Goodyear: Fuel Max and All Season

Pirelli might be worth a look depending on your application.

>BF Goodrich is wholly owned by Michelin

Huh, didn't know that

Bridgestone Potenza RE003's are the sex
Got 235's on the front and 255's on the rear of my 92 Soarer

I am up to replace my tires, OE is pirelli p-zero, but I had an Infiniti with continental conti extremes on it and they were excellent. Which would you get?

Basically unless your front tyres cost 5x as much as your rear tyres you probably don't even enjoy driving.

You're supposed to have your best tires on the rear, even if it's a FWD car
What the fuck are you trying to meme

*Michigan

>OE is pirelli p-zero, but I had an Infiniti with continental conti extremes on it and they were excellent. Which would you get?

Whichever of the two has less road noise. I have no idea as to the road noise of the P-Zero. I'm just tired of the rumbling road noise coming up from the tires.

>what are hektik skidz

>I enjoy understeer

Yes the speed and load ratings are standardized but treadwear being only consistent amongst a manufacturers line of tires, was all i was trying to add.

>advocating mismatching tires front to back

ONLY acceptable if you have drag radials/slick tires in the back

>DORIFTING

Dunlop are GOAT

Not him, but I can't imagine an alternate universe where the pirellis make more noise than the continentals.

Kind of weird that MightyBenz hasn't made a post yet

I only use Yokohama ADVAN ad08r. Cheap tyres are known as 'Ditch finders' in the MR2 community since they increase snapover steer death. (Less grip = less chance of catching the rear end as it pendulums back round.)

>Are chinese tires shit?
Never cheap out on anything that goes between you and the ground - tyres, shoes, your mattress and so on

No one likes Continental...?

I like Continental DW set I got on my car.

>I like Continental DW set I got on my car.
Are those the Continental DWS? How are they on road noise AFTER they have worn in after a few thousand miles?

I have like no knowledge of tyres whatsoever. I went to my local garage and they have quoted me £360 for a Set of Avon 225. This is for a 205/40/17. Like is this even good? Should I just go for Bridgestone and consider bigger brand is better?

I have Conti Extrem Contact DW on my Camaro. The grip is pretty ridiculous, but it is definitely a summer only tire

Just use online tools to check you pleb. Tyrespot is no bullshit if you have one in your area, they'll just do the job you came to get done without trying to sell you new brake pads or coolant changes and shit like Kwik Fit.

Unless you're Chris Harris you probably won't feel that much difference between the top tier tyres, just don't buy shite.

>I have Conti Extrem Contact DW
>The grip is pretty ridiculous, but it is definitely a summer only tire

But Conti Extreme Contact DWS is the all season version.

True, I have no experience with that tire

I have them on my Challenger. They're bretty gud.

No, those are the summer tires. I only have 100 miles on mine, but they are extremely quiet.

Pirelli Sottozero reporting.
Will never buy other brand

Pirelli P7 summer tires.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 studless winter tires.

The P7s are pretty good. A bit high on the roll resistance, but grips well and feel smooth.

The R2s are plain awesome. Much better than my previous Dunlop winter tires, and those were pretty good as well. Almost feels like I'm driving on studs when its icy, and they behave very much like ordinary summer tires on the rain. Doesn't slip on wet surfaces as easily as other studless winter tires do.

That's exactly what I want to put them on, a hellcat. They better than the or tires?

I'm jacking off, give me a break

OP, before you buy tires you ought to look at what the manufacturer says, look at reviews and then figure out what would be the best

Do you want an economy tire with low rolling resistance and a very comfortable price?
Do you want an all-season tire that can deal with heavy amounts of rain?
Do you want a high-performance tire that'll maximise your dry grip?

One piece of advice is not to cheap out on tires. Chinese tires especially confirm to the "quantity over quality" mindset, and you really don't want to be driving on four tires made by 17 year old Lung Zheng-Fan who is blind on one eye after an industrial accident at 12. Belt failures, blowouts, dubious rubber quality and patterns that aren't really designed with anything in mind are all things you might risk when buying cheap shit

All the major brands and brands owned by the major ones will produce good tires, its all a matter of you reading up on what is available to you, what suits your car and your environment the best and what you're willing to pay

Now, what do I run;

>summer
Cooper Discoverer AT3, 225/75/16
Ok AT-tires, they came with the car. Haven't noticed anything bad about them so far.

>winter
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV, 245/70/16
Worlds best winter tires when it comes to snow and ice, hands down. Going from 9 year old Dean Wintercat tires with worn-out studs to these darlings is simply unexplainable in terms of traction difference

>What should I know about tires besides how to size them?
Roll resistance, speed rating, load rating, how the grip, noise, comfort, fuel economy

Are chinese tires shit? is Accelera shit?
Yes

What kind of tires do you guys get?
3 cars

Summer
Firestone Precision Sport (215-55R16)
Yokohama Advan 3048 (225-50ZR16)
Hankook Dynapro AT-M (225-70R16)

Winter
Firestone Winterforce (215-60ZR15)
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II (225-50ZR16)
Hankook Dynapro AT-M (225-70R16)

salsa?

Sorry, not a Hellcat expert.

Go to challengertalk or some hellcat specific forum.

I forgot that those came with eagle f1 supercars OE. I'll check hellcat.org. Thanks.

>Chinese made tires are junk
Too many things from China are erratic in quality. A brand that is good one day can have a whole batch that is bad the next and then go back to being good. That's something I learned the hard way.

>girl.jpg
I have some bad news for you

For most applications, UHPs are fine. All-seasons are a trap, just have one set of summers and one set of winters. It's much safer that way.

NT-01 > *

Depends on what your needs are, it rains a lot in Ireland so I needed good grip in the wet. Not a lot of snow so it's pretty easy to get away with running summer tyres all year. I had Yokohama S-Drives and Falken Ziex ZE914 on my Swift Sport and both were good, the Falkens were a bit more harder wearing. Now I have a Fiesta ST and I'm just about to replace the fronts with the same Bridgestones. Once these fronts are done I'll think about replacing all four.

French made Michelin's rules the day

Is it okay to try and mount tires without proper equipment? I've seen people saying about using dish soap but that seems a bit shady imo

>a gear head quoting consumer reports

You should know just how awful their testing standards are

But Chinese tires are probably just as awful as their tool steel