How did you find your religion, Veeky Forums?

How did you find your religion, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3L15e2sNZsU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Like everyone else: born to a particular denomination.

It's cool though, I left it.

I studied all of them until I discovered that the Buddha basically devised the most solid epistemology. Then it became easy to see that most other contemplatives had basically discovered the same thing.

Jesus is literally a Jew who became enlightened and had to make sense of it in a Jewish context.

Grew up loosely Christian, jumped around in my teenage years as I researched theologies of various religions, then decided to take a hard look at scientific research into biology and physics, and returned to Christianity.

I found it spooky

Grew up with liberal semi-catholic parents. Went full Fedora. Returned and discovered catholicism again in my late teens.

I wasn't raised religiously so I never found it

I pushed the boundaries of human understanding.
I found infinity.

>Found out Atheism is mainstream and "discovered" Catholicism again.

FTFY.

there's still time for you to be saved user.

>catholicism isn't mainstream in the bavarian countryside

Don't know, where you are from, but here it's pretty common for the whole village to go to mass.

>ywn

sounds pretty comfy desu

>European Catholicism
>Mainstream
Chuckled

conception

That's true, it's never too late to accept Mohammad.

yes, totally, I just need to find the right people

Born in a Lutheran househould.

I believe people should remain in the religion they were born into. It's up to God whether we are saved or not. Changing religion won't do anything.

what about people born into fedora households?

God led me to the true Reformed Protestant faith

Spineless

Odd, He led me to Catholicism!

youtube.com/watch?v=3L15e2sNZsU
I was astounded by the fathers answers and this was the single most important catalyst for my exploration of Christianity which dozens of hours of protestant/fundie stupidity never did.

kek at the triggered proddies in the comments

No user that was Satan

>Born catholic in a catholic area
>shit makes no sense at all
>wtf, I gotta pay taxes for this fraud?
>I'm outa here
Happy non believer now

>God led me to worship statues, place intermediaries before me and God and call a man master and father and Christ on earth
I have bad news for you user.

>worship =/= venerate

>i only venerate idols

Interesting enough, more people actually lose their religion than find a new one, most stay non believers for life and so do their kids. Thats why whole countries in Europe have a non believing majority and virtually no influence of organized religion on politics etc.
In the long run, religion will only stay influential in 3rd world shitholes, and likely the US, everbody else has more or less abandoned it already.

>mainstream
Lmao, there's more Hindus then there are you

>idols
>implying

even americans are starting to wear fedoras now

Life is better in a country where 80% do not believe in organized religion.
Same would be true for this board, imagine all the baby jebus threads gone.

if God's already decided whether you're going to hell or not then what's the point of worshipping him at all?

The great falling away is proof that the day is approaching

t. satanist

>decided to take a hard look at scientific research into biology and physics, and returned to Christianity.
clearly didnt look very hard if you think a guy dying and coming back to life again is a plausible scenario

>posts an image of a crusader
oh i see, you are one of those meme american christians i.e. not even a real christian

Protestants worship and obey God because it pleases him, not to earn salvation.

so Protestantism is essentially a massive circlejerk?

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

Keep on praying sister, meanwhile I'll enjoy lifes full hedonism.

On /pol/ of all places, or more precisely, in reaction to it.

>Before Veeky Forums existed
>Find Veeky Forums, start with /adv/ but gradually drift to /pol/ in a misguided sense that it would be actual discussion.
>enormous anti-semitism.
>Not Jewish myself, but grew up in a Jewish neighborhood (my grandfather was quite literally a shabbos goy), and actually attended Hebrew school despite not being Jewish myself, all of my friends went, and I didn't want to be left out.
>Know enough to dispute some of the more stupid/obvious /pol/shittery.
>Have to go researching to counter some of the more sophisticated ones.
>Wind up learning even more about it.
>Wind up liking quite a bit of it.
>Finish converting 3 years back.

When I was 12 I was looking for some sort of stability, Jesus Christ gave me a sense of that and I tried teaching other kids at school about Christianity.

>Finish converting 3 years back
To Judaism? Isn't that usually discouraged?

Discouraged, but possible.

drugs

I consider myself a humanist

Depends on how you define "Discouraged". The Rabbi is supposed to give a kind of form turn you away 3 times no matter how excited he is to have you (which usually isn't very much) and there's a long conversion process, mine lasted a bit over a year.

But it's not like "They don't accept converts" or anything.

>The Rabbi is supposed to give a kind of form turn you away 3 times
I meant that one, did you experience any sort of disapproval or discrimination for being a convert?

Same here, magic shrooms, and now I do believe in the good nature of mankind.

Was born into it, enjoyed it, so I remained.

A bit of annoyance from the congregation in my early days when I went around spouting some concepts that were new and exciting to me but everyone else had already been aware of forever, but other than that, nope.

That's funny. She led me to gnosticism.

By becoming silent.

How does this shit belong in Veeky Forums? Why do you retards think this place is some sort of christian blog where people post their personal experiences?

"History & Humanities", you fucking idiot.

>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc
>religion

Also, OP didn't ask us to post about Christianity or any specific religion for that matter. Calm down, fedoralord.

Humanities was a mistake.

Discussing personal religious experiences is not an academic discussion, and doesn't belong here, you imbecile.

this board isn't for academic discussion, just discussion

you cunt

Thought about it.

I'm a 90's kid, my religion is Nintendo.

Are you mocking me, God? I was thinking about posting this pic and praise KEK but then had second thoughts because it wouldbe improbable to pull off.

Should've trusted in the teachings of KEK

grew up catholic, hated it. Became a fedoralord in my teens, le edgy god is not real meme. Noticed in the 2010's that without a deity and its dogma we're to prone to succumb to our vices and being shitty human beings

You contradict yourself, you said you were born into your religion, but then you said that you left it, which means that your current religion is not what you were born into.
Therefore your claim is false, and there exists people whose religion was adapted from somewhere else.

You're either a calvinist or a Hindu. Not sure which.

Stopped being such a shitty person because I hated myself and realized something had to change. Started believing in the possibility of God, then one really shitty day I begged Jesus to help me and he did, and now I believe

I have no religion, and I was brought up in a totally non-religious house. It's not like my parents were hardcore atheists or something, I just didn't even know what religion was until i was around 7 or something.

Is this unusual?

Born in a Mormon LDS household, became interested in firearms and now worship at /k/.

I was deployed in Afghanistan, did lots of reading. Left Christianity and became what I am now, six years ago.

Is it spooky to participate in religion if it brings you personal satisfaction?

>grow up in casual Protestant household, consider self Christian.
>around the time I'm 13 my parents get heavily involved in local church, they get almost cult-like about it.
>this pushes me to go full fedora
>after years they lose interest and return to normal
>I start doing LSD and shrooms, and reading about eastern religion
>now I practice zen mediation daily but don't know what to label myself.

I never found it.

>became what I am now
And what are you now user?

>I believe people should remain in the religion they were born into.
What if your religion is wrong and your god isn't around to save you but Ma'at is there to judge you?

>he takes pride in his hedonism
Truly a lost soul

>>I start doing LSD and shrooms, and reading about eastern religion
>>now I practice zen mediation daily but don't know what to label myself.
Another moron.

Norse heathen. I'm very quiet about it and take a more contemplative approach to it, as opposed to more "dress up and role play vikings" faggots.

not an argument

I found it by going to a Christian school and growing to love the hymns we sang on a literary and musical level, but this led to more interest in the Bible and Christianity in general. Faith kind of followed on from there. Couldn't say exactly why.

>I'm a Buddhist

I didn't, I'm stuck with my parents involuntarily going to community college, working part time, and taking meds daily. If I try to get away I get taken into police custody and returned to my parents house. There is no God, everything is predetermined.

what were your reasons for converting?
I'm genuinely very interested

Are you a schizophrenic?

wut

Doctor says yes but I've never experienced and schizoid symptoms like hearing voices in my head. Parents make me take at least 4 classes a semester until I decide on what I want to major in.

Ph, sounds rough.
Hope things improve for you.

Same

Shit dude, how old are you?
Have you ever tried to escape?

I just found it fit my worldview better. The wider implications of the universe being a fundamentally chaotic place, and the focus on family and loyalty also just kind of clicked with me. Monotheism just never really made sense to me.

Born as an old-catholic. Got seduced by the new age people to become a denier of the divinity of God.
>Zeitgeist part 1

After 4 years of not being able to discern my left hand from the right hand, I found out that the maker of it was a Freemason.
>To become a Freemason, it is a requirement that you believe in the afterlife

So I looked for a debunked video of Zeitgeist part 1. Found out that people actualy offer money if you could prove the main part of this theory (that christianity is a mixup of multiple religions).
>The most important source of Zeitgeist was from a Freemason-like individual who was a wizard of the Stonehedge group people who made its own translation of the Egyptian Hyroglyphes >.< (academics were angered because of his "translation")

Accepted Jesus as my God.

Still had a few questions, such as why do demons scream in exorcism and why do have these sleep paralysis experiences every now and then.
>Sleep paralysis: "wake up" while your body sleeps, see a dark figure walk in your room and ram his arm through my mouth in my throath.

Whole story short, next month I'll be baptised in the Seventh day adventist church

Grew up going to church every Sunday. Liberal West Coast Baptist sort of place. My grandfather helped preach (He has a doctorate in theology from an Ivy League school. Career preacher just like his dad). I suppose I fell out of it when we moved to a new place and I didn't really like the atmosphere. We went to church less and less (I wasn't interested in religion really, so I went to Sunday School until we stopped going alltogether). Kind of a shame because my mom is still a religious person but me and my twin sister didn't really feel like going. My younger sister is still somewhat religious. I'm irreligious nowadays, but I've thought about converting to Judaism (my father is a Jew) or Cathlicism.

I was raised by secular parents from different religious backgrounds, they raised me to decide for myself.

I accepted early on that whatever my belief was, I wasn't going to compromise and ignore cold hard facts just because my religion said so. Blind faith was an unacceptable concept to me, philosophically. If I was to have religion, it had to agree 100% with modern scientific evidence. It seems dumb if God sent down a message and didn't even get his own physics or history right.

That led me first to Buddhism, the natural choice as anyone who has studied it might agree. It just makes sense and seems a good way to live. But many will also agree with my conclusion that fundamentally, it doesn't really answer theological questions and is more of a philosophy on how to live your life, ignoring the concept of the afterlife or creation, etc. So I went back to the drawing board.

After reading many religious texts and studying many world religions, I accepted the only one that seemed reasonable and irrefutable, and that religion was Qur'an alone Islam. Hadith have corrupted Islam and make it seem like a religion centered around Arab myth and Arab culture. Most Muslim people today follow what are essentially non-Islamic traditions and corrupted followers of the true religion.

I saw a homeless man being bullied on a bus and thought "there should be a God to save this man and punish his tormenters." And I also thought that if there was such a God he would judge me harshly too for not rushing to the homeless man's defense. It was then that I realized I believed.

Overdosed on LSD at a festival and found the source all love on a hill on a summers day.

>Seventh day adventist church

SDAism is not christianity.

Born into a Muslim family. Fell off the Islamic radar in my teens, was mostly a cultural Muslim. Decided to get serious about beliefs after 23. Took my testimonials of faith again out of virtue. Been Muslim ever since. Big props to /pol/ for helping me out.

When following any philosophy you have to take it all the way, no exceptions. If you aren't going to take the train all the way, might as well get off.

Don't do that. SDA are a literal cult, wierder and more cultlike than Mormonism. Find a good Presbyterian church, the OPC/PCA if you're in the US

A pagan goddess appeared to me and basically told me to worship her.

You can only imagine my surprise, being a fedora-tipper at the time.