Why did the 5 cylinder engine die?

Why did the 5 cylinder engine die?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tmZMwk14r4c
youtube.com/watch?v=_xWItsdqKxk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because 4 cylinders got really good.

5 cylinders were a compromise of space and power, and 4 cylinders now win one and are adequate in the other.

>power of a 4
>drinks like a 6
>sounds like an angry demon

>tfw keeping the legend alive

Why can't 5 cylinders get "really good" and replace small displacement V6 engines? They'd be smoother, balanced, and sound better.

have you seen a modern engine bay? It's tiny.

Either you make the car wider to mount it transverse, killing the economy car, or you make the engine bay larger, creating more drag, and thus killing the economy car.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years, automakers looked at other ways to replace the V6 sedan. It's becoming more of a niche market, and CAFE requirements are only becoming stricter. I think the only reason it hasn't caught on is that the V6 has marketing power. Even, then I feel other options would take over as the consumer high output motor, possibly some type of hybrid for low end torque or just better 4 cylinders as 2 and 3 cylinders take their place.

The next logical step for gas engines that I see is electronic valve actuation, and that is known to provide a pretty big change in performance, so I don't think a further downsize is out of the question.

To be honest I don't see what the big deal is.

Lots of people would gladly sacrifice a few mpgs to get a more powerful and smoother engine.

>tfw used to drive 05 S60 T5
>exhaust rusted through
>cut off muffler and welded on a straight pipe
>it fucking roared like a sex god

consider your millennial peers. Anything that reduces time spent on social media or time that can be spent on shallow social activities is something to be abhorred. i4s are just a race to the bottom in terms of manufacturing costs. They may even be phased out in favor of 3 cylinders. The enthusiast car is an endangered breed.

The 5 cyl engine isnt dead r u dumb

they're less common, but not dead

late gen audi tt's and jetta's have transverse 5's

The i3 will replace smaller displacement i4s anyway

4 cylinder engines should be illegal

Word

This man is right Why do you think self driving cars get so much attention? Normies see driving a chore and they want the thing that promises them the least amount of running costs (ie fuel)

I know someone that bought a new millennial scion economy box that she calls her "spaceship" to save money. "It's cheaper because you don't have to deal with maintenance like on an old car "

Why?

Wtf is this thread? The simple answer is that it's hard to balance an odd number of cylinders

Some of the best cars in the world are powered by 4 cylinder engines

why did it live ?

[Citation required]

Only if naturally aspirated.

>Only if it makes no power

Do you realize how dumb you are or you post without thinking?

3 cyls and 5 cyls are better

ENGINE POWER LEVEL SHEET
>Omnipotent tier
i-6
>Great tier
i-5
>good tier
v8
>commuter tier
i4, v6
>poorfag tier
3 cylinder
>I hate my wallet tier (not part of the pyramid listed above)
rotary
V12
V10

What'd I miss?

flat six

Great tier
This, although IMO 3 cyl engines sound better than i4

Forgot this one

What's your favorite sounding I3?

ford ecoboost

no joke the one from the new formula ford is the shit

My '06 VW rabbit has a 2.5l 5cyl engine and it's slow but sounds nice and has been pretty reliable. It puts out same power that a 4cyl would so it really doesn't surprise me that they're not common.

Ok I'll admit this is pretty cool

youtu.be/tmZMwk14r4c

>mfw m103 i6 and om617 i5 in my cars

Feels good man

turbocharged 3 cylinders will become more and more common

mark my words

wouldn't even be surprised to see a twincharged i3

youtube.com/watch?v=_xWItsdqKxk
Sounds much better than their shitty 4 bangers.

the fuck you say cunt?