Turkey

Lets settle the discussion once and for all.

Define "European" please. It's literally scared white bois tucked away in western asia.

>we wuz a continent n sheeeit

>Asia Minor
>Mongolian ethnicity
>middle eastern culture and religion with thin European veneer.
Nope.

>>Mongolian ethnicity
DELET THIS

They are Romans, so yes

You got the be culturally Christian or border nothing byt Christian states to be European so nope.
This don't count for colonies.

Why aren't there flags and ids on Veeky Forums?

>Asia Minor
an a significant piece of land in Europe rivaling the size of many a small european country containing the country's biggest, cosmopolitan city, the population of which, again, rivals many small european countries
>Mongolian ethnicity
turkic dna is insignificant in anatolia. they were the ruling class after having kicked out the byzantines and so the population in turn became turkified. the base stock is still "anatolian" or general mediterranean so more closely related to greeks and other mainland europeans than central asians.
>middle eastern culture and religion with thin European veneer.
agreed. though there's no doubt that there's is (or maybe was in light of current events) solid secular contingent in the cities, especially istanbul. there's no doubt middle eastern influence on turkish culture but we also can't deny there's remnants of turkic practices and a general mediterranean culture akin to greece or turkey at least until the rise of islamism in the 1970s/80s. no doubt there's also geographic and regional differences that an acute observer could identify, but acute observers are lacking on Veeky Forums im afraid ;^)

I meant akin to Greece, or Italy and Spain (at least southern Italy and southern Spain and probably southern France historically)

Anatolians aren't related to Europeans or Mediterraneans you retard. They're related to Iranians, Kurds, Armenians, Iraqis etc.

Anatolians are closest related to Indo-Europeans,also why are you even bringing up Kurds separately from Iranians? Genetically most Kurds are probably similar to Arabs then anyone else. And Iraqi is a nationality, not an ethnicity.

No you're not you retard. Stop being so pathetic and read up on the existing literature.

turk here
answer is no, we are steppe niggers
who even asks these questions? i have never heard anyone in turkey call or think themselves as "european" and i live in the western part

so stop asking, we are not mongolians either, we are oghuz turks

this t bh familia. not even a Turk, but for some reason eurocucks seem to be much more obsessed over whether or not Turks are white than actual Turks. If anything, most nationalists Turks i've met are more like " we wuz horse raiders n' shiieet"

because it would turn it into /int/ 2.0 where any discussion devolves into meme-ery and nationalistic pissing matches.

Nope. They are Anatolian.

Not even Istanbul?

Constantinople*

TURKEY IS IN ASIA, THEREFORE IT IS AN ASIAN COUNTRY.

LEARN BASIC GEOGRAPHY.

t. Suleiman

Geographically yes but I believe the thread is revolving around a different definition like culturally or ethnically, not geographically because nobody needs an entire goddamm thread for basic geography.

If turkey had remained Christian I am sure Anatolia would have been known as a part of Europe today.

It's actually not even in Europe geographically. Unless you count Eastern Thrace, which is like saying Spain is in Africa because of Ceuta and Melilla.

"EUROPEAN" IS A GEONYM, NOT A CULTURONYM, SO, UNLESS THAT THE "ORIGINAL POSTER" REFORMULATES HIS/HER QUESTION USING AN ACCURATE TERM, THIS THREAD HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

>Unless you count Eastern Thrace, which is like saying Spain is in Africa because of Ceuta and Melilla.

But 15% of the population lives in Eastern Thrace. And probably 80% of the population that actually matters.

Last time I checked the Islamist were mainly living outside of Thrace and those are the ones with power-

For now. But the flyover country retards have nothing but numbers.

And they also just managed to win a coup.
Suppose that will mean some trouble for those to the west.

Their history is literally that of hating on Europeans and trying to conquer/destroy European culture. Their "secular cosmopolitan city" (not so much it turns out) that lies on the European continent was founded by Romans on a colony of Ancient Greeks and then made great by Greeks until it was basically handed over to the Ottomans.

I don't think the Turks have any aspiration to be considered Europeans for anything other than the benefits of the Union. Ataturk tried, but the people simply don't want to, at least nowadays. They're a different culture, and I imagine being the successor of the Ottoman Empire puts a heavy burden on you to keep that legacy alive while trying to embrace European culture and secularism at the same time, the result being to worship Ataturk while shouting allahu akbar and beheading people.

The only half-way secular/European city in Turkey seems to be Smyrna, and that's because of Greek influence and legacy in the area, something that Turks try to extinguish at every turn of the way.

Are you counting Istanbul in that? I don't know if it can be considered Eastern Thrace, it's probably a Metropolitan region in itself like Greater London or Ile-de-France etc.

>that of hating on Europeans and trying to conquer/destroy European culture
not really
>until it was basically handed over to the Ottomans
no it wasn't
>Ataturk tried,
no he didn't
>that's because of Greek influence
very little of that is left, greeks that weren't killed/escaped were deported shortly after. most smyrna population is made of balkan turk deportees

you are talking out of your ass senpai

>no rebuttal
>ad hominem
What was I expecting?

It's sort of its own thing really. If nothing else, it's a transitory land from Asia to Europe.

if by European you mean a shitstain waste of land then yes, they're European

Europe is in asia too. The Ural Mountains are really an insignificant barrier. Where as anatolia has a mountainous eastern barrier

Just like Russia