What's the point of intelligence if you're not happy?

What's the point of intelligence if you're not happy?

Why should happiness be our goal?

Why shouldn't it?

In that case surely it's a mistake to even be born.

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that can solve them."

One cannot make the mistake of being born as one does not exist prior to birth and therefore cannot make a mistake.

>What's the point of intelligence if you're not happy?

How are these 2 at all related?

Oh dear.

Who told you intelligence leads to happiness?

nah

Well, by the time you're old enough to understand your mistake it's too late.

WE'RE A PACK OF GLORIFIED APES HURTLING THROUGH A COLD, UNCARING UNIVERSE ON A DYING FUCKING ROCK, HOW CAN YOU BE HAPPY?!

Satisfaction is for the weak. Alpha males are always looking to better themselves

If you're generally unhappy, you're unintelligent. Intelligent people can figure out how to be happy, easily.

I don't think you're listening

To feel superior to the pleb caste of course, one should always focus on their nose even if one is dead inside.

Well.

Food tastes pretty good, for one.

What's the point of happiness if you're not intelligent?

it's not *your* mistake

Whats the point in happiness if you're not real?

If you're happy, literally nothing else matters

You'll be happier once your teenage hormones subside.

as if intelligence has any bearing on the satisfaction of one's will. sure, one might argue that, be ye smart enough, you can divine a method that could successfully satisfy whatever will you may possess--but is this truly the criterion for intelligence? OP's post conflates the value people perceive of intelligence, specifically for the reason described above, as being inherent within the acquisition of knowledge itself. But knowledge has no direct bearing on one's happiness; one's happiness is the result of the satisfaction of one's will, a separate faculty from one's understanding. While one's understanding in conjunction with reason can aide one in satisfying the desires elicited by the faculty of will, ultimately, one's happiness rests within this capacity alone. Hence, should you wish to live forever, or should you wish for the love of someone who's since passed, no amount of knowledge will ever enable one to satisfy these wills. This is not to say that it's reasonable to desire as such, but whoever claims they can control what it is they desire is, I believe, mistaken.

did you figure that out with your intelligence

What's the point of happiness?

I'm smart enough to be unhappy, but not intelligent.

What's the point of mirrors if your eyes aren't real?

[spoiler]Happiness as end goal is completely undesirable desu. Seeing the emotional spectrum as something which contains "good" and "bad" on opposing sides is incredibly shortsighted, and does no justice to what human beings are capable of.

You should not strive for happiness, you should strive for emotion. Intelligence can bring satisfaction in one's self, and the emotional burden of the sudden realization of unfavorable trusts as a result feels visceral, serving as a reminder that you're alive; pride, pleasure, rage, disappointment, arousal, passion, regret, envy, euphoria, disgust, fear, awe, the list goes on.

You're capable of much more than just "happiness" and "sadness" OP, and you're capable of feeling numerous emotions. Gaining knowledge does not mean having to sacrifice your well being.[/spoiler]

smart=sad is a meme

Clearly missing the point

Ok.

I'd rather miss the point and live a happy life than 'get it' and be miserable. I don't envy your enlightenment.

This thread reminds me of those "Too intelligent to be happy" posts on /r9k/

Literally no one is claiming that you should except faggot retard OP and his subsidiaries in this bread.

With a sufficient amount of intelligence, you would be able to figure out how to live forever or remove the feelings you hold for someone who's died. You could even find workarounds to this, such as, getting the fuck over it instead of allowing yourself to dwell on stupid bullshit like a dumb animal.

You can be as elegant as you like in your speech, but all you're saying is "people can be incapable of controlling their emotions, and here are a couple examples of possible things to overcome that can make you sad". Okay, I guess, but some people are intelligent enough to solve their own damn problems or at least devote their time to attempting to solve them, and be satisfied with that.

im tellin u m8 that intelligence is not the criterion for happiness. desire to be caesar and you'll be fuckin rotted. getting the fuck over it is also beyond your control, since one cannot control one's will, and being over it is essentially no longer willing that which you cannot acquire. even were this possible, intelligence would not be the criterion for happiness. could one control one's will, one would never be upset--but so too, never happy.

Caesar became caesar just fine, so idk why you're assuming that it's impossible when it's literally proven to be possible, assuming you mean analagous to his position.

Also, on what evidence do you suggest one cannot control their own will? Phenomenologically, I make decisions, and choices exist. To deny this is to deny basic observational reasoning. Of course you'd be depressed if you blamed something outside of yourself for your problems such as "the jews" or "feminism", or in your case, "reality" or "determinism", but the fact is, from your first-person perspective, you can make the choice to get up and start lifting weights and chugging protien shakes you lazy bastard. Quit making excuses for yourself. Blaming things that are not you for things that you directly have control over is inherently unintelligent.

If you're going to go on some rant about determinism, remember that intelligence is about the acquisition and application of knowledge and reason, and the concept itself is worthless if you disregard the concept of decision making, so don't contradict yourself.

>Caesar became caesar just fine

You mean other than being immediately murdered by his friends and colleagues.

Are you claiming caesar wasn't caesar? this would be a whole new level of butthurt.

what determine's one's choice? One's will. Suppose you can change what you will--what is it that drives this change? Another will? If that's the case, then what of that one? Supposing that one can change one's will necessitates an infinite regress. Should you wish to suppose that reason is what itself directs one's will, I would argue that this is false: reason can only tell us that such and such a path exists or does not exist (assuming reason is here being applied to action; the force which determines potential paths to some specific action). While reason can reveal to the understanding that such a path to such a desire *exists*, it is this path's resonance with the desires elicited by the will that determines a given possibility's value. for instance, say you want to get to class, and have two choices: go straight through building A, which will take 5 minutes; or meander through building B, which will take 10. Both of these are paths to action which satisfy your desire of getting to class; from the perspective of reason, they are identical. One chooses either path based on *how* one wills to get there--which is to say, after reason has discerned potential paths to the satisfying of some specific action, the will is then what qualifies these paths, and it is on the basis of this qualification that I contend we make our choices. I'm no determinist in the fatalistic sense--I don't believe the future is fixed; I believe that we obviously make choices--I simply disbelieve the idea that we are sovereign over our experience.

No I'm claiming it wasn't just fine.

Why should there be a point to intelligence?

Why should the point be happiness?

Also intelligence could be a bit relative term. I don't think that intelligence has much worth without actually learning how to apply it/gaining knowledge.

It's more of a potential than an actual ability.

Fag

I don't really see how your example about having a choice between a couple of paths follows that we are not sovereign over our experience, it's a little bit(very) non-sequitor, but regardless if that's the claim you're making,

There is nothing observable in the universe that you cannot directly control other than physical constants. Even a gamma ray burst traveling at the speed of light can be avoided by being aware of it's possibility and preparing for it. It's simply that you must find a means of control, which in some cases can be extremely difficult sure, but not impossible.

bigger fag

the claim that we are not sovereign over our experience follows from the empirical observation that we cannot control what we want. we simply desire that which we desire; why we desire as such, we cannot say. since our choices are determined by our will--that which qualifies a given path to action, as discerned via reason--we therefore cannot control our choices. you can certainly do as you will, but you cannot will as you will.

What we want is a result of the amygdala, VTA and pituitary gland rewarding us using chemicals based on various criteria from other parts of the brain. If you physically alter your brain with the help of sufficient neurological knowledge, you can literally control what you want. Claiming that you can't control what you want contradicts observable reality.

and what would impel you to first physically alter your brain? claiming that you can control what you want contradicts lived experience.

Increasing the probability of sexual success.

What do you mean? You said you have no control over what you want. I explained how that's not true. Just because you wanted to have control over what you want doesn't mean that it's paradoxical at all, you still literally can physically control what you want.

Explain to me how wanting to control what you want contradicts controlling what you want.

if you desire to change what you will, the successful changing of it is itself to satisfy the initial desire to change it. i.e., it still follows from the will.

True happiness almost always comes from fulfilment and expanding your knowledge through learning things or testing your limits, no? They often go hand in hand.

How the hell did you arrive at the definition of "true happiness?"

I meant lasting happiness, fulfilment,

Why?

See my original question, but replace the stuff in the quotes with fulfillment.

Dawkins pls

How is happiniess not an emotion?

Ultra supa mega faglord 5000

I'm screencaping your text here, literally one of the most uplifting things I've read in a while. Thanks my dude

Not true
>Depression
This is not the fault of the person who has it but easily becomes their problem. Being unhappy doesn't always correlate with intelligence.
>Being aware of the absurd
Can easily cause someone to be unhappy or depressed.
How do you suppose one can achieve
happiness? Through material objects? Love? Money?

Ment to quote
(You)

From a standpoint of progression happiness should not be the goal, if you are content, there is no wanting, therefore you are at a standstill. Evolution comes from diversity, and challenge, this is biological, but it also has to do with societal evolution as well.

Happiness is stagnation, it is standstill, and if you're happy you should find a reason not to be for the goodness of all of us.

>misery loves company

He never made that claim user.

Ignorance is bliss. It really is.

You certainly don't need to be intelligent to get sex.

You cannot directly control your will but through time and new experience it changes, and we know this.

excuse the blogpost.

Happiness was never meant to be a big part of the human conditon

It was just a mistake in evolution, or a contingency to stop us from offing ourselves when our mental faculties became too complex

In my opinion happiness as a mental state is just a drip feed, the carrot on the stick. If I was reborn with my absolute ideal life, my brain would garner probably the same baseline happiness. I would be accustomed to it, I'd want something else, you always want what's out of your grasp, what you can't have, we're constantly looking through the figurative shop window glass

I wouldn't call it a hedonic treadmill, but a 'grass is always greener' kinda thing, we are just endless cogs in this infinite monkey theorem hell-scape except we aren't gunning for Shakespeare, we will never be satiated, and that's the point, if we were then we wouldn't progress on this meaningless hamster wheel

People get existential crises over the perceived meaningless of it all - I am actually terrified if this universe HAS meaning, what could the endgame be? Whats the goal? Happiness is an endless corridor in the building of progress and I'm terrified of reaching the roof door

In perspective I think humans are mentally like an ant colony on a universal scale, I think that's how much of this universe we will never comprehend, or at least I hope it's that way - because if this is it, god damn

Well, truly intelligent person would be happy anyway, so why even ask.

He who increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow

Go away Schopenhauer

You don't have to be happy, you can just as well be miserable.

There are a myriad of obviously intelligent people who have suffered from depression or just a general state of unhappiness. It takes a special kind of retard to look at those people and say "They obviously weren't intelligent because they were sad." How simplistic are you?

Ignorance and stupidity bring cannot bring any deep, intellectual or spiritual happiness. Happiness can come in many forms and the happiness one get's from ignoring curiosity and remaining uninformed and concentrating on materialistic sources of happiness seems cheap.

kek'd

It's late where i am so i fucked up the typing of this answer quite a bit but you get my point.

deep tbhfam

Better than being dumb and unhappy

good post

well said

nice dubs

Depression is the fault of the person who has it. Blaming things outside of yourself for things you have control over is a result of your own unintelligence.

If you're aware of the absurd, you have two options: you can be fine with it, or you can be unhappy with it. Choosing to be unhappy with it is unintelligent given the obviously superior option that is just as easy to select.

Your entire argument is a non-evidential claim followed by an ad hominem. I'm not going to trust your opinion on anything if you can't piece together a basic logical argument.

Nothing. Do like me and kill all your braincells so your miserable and your dumb. It works.

I am happy and have 133 IQ