Is it a bad idea to buy an LS1 based car at 100,000+ miles sight unseen?

is it a bad idea to buy an LS1 based car at 100,000+ miles sight unseen?

I found the car im looking for at several thousand cheaper than what they seem to be going for on the other side of the country so plus transport it is still waay under budget

it's a 2004 Holden SS ute (manual)

Other urls found in this thread:

redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2003-holden-ute-ss-vy-ii-manual/SPOT-ITM-229464
carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Ute-2004/SSE-AD-4353142
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/korumburra/cars-vans-utes/vy-series-2-ss-ute/1130464349
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I should also mention with my license I cant drive a V8 in my state for the next couple of months, otherwise I would fly up there and pick it up

>I should also mention with my license I cant drive a V8

What kind of eurocuck country is this?

Australia have "P plates" for a probationary license
you get less demerit points so it's easier to lose your license and depending on the state there are power limits

for example in Victoria where I am, we have 4 years of P plates, cant drive V8's or cars with turbo/superchargers except for I think post 2012 when they changed to a maximum power/weight

general rule though is no V8/TC/SC

I've been driving a V6 until now and I just want a fucking V8 before fuel makes them impossible to own ever again

>I'm 22 next month and can finally legally drive a real car

what state are you from?

short answer is don't buy anything sight unseen.
too much of a gamble

Victoria
we have 4 years of P plates :/

I have a friend up there who can make sure it runs and all but he's not a huge car guy, if it was in Victoria (or close in SA or NSW) my best mates brother has an SS ute and loves it to death, wrenches on it himself, then he knows one of the mechanics who worked on the development of the VZ ute (not the VY but it's basically the same) and he is apparently a wizard, so basically if it was in Victoria I would have a very very good idea on the quality of the car from the surface

That's fucking stupid. Here in the US you take a dumb written test to get your learners permit, wait 6 months and do a dumb road test then you get your license that let's you drive pretty much anything except buses and 18 wheelers
Some kids at my high school had a big ass pickup truck, a 2008 mustang, and someone had a 70s camaro built for fucking drag racing. You're literally allowed to drive whatever you want here once you get your license. It's amazing. Hell you can drive whatever you want even with your learners permit as long as you're with someone who has a proper drivers license

a bad LS will have blow by, drink and leak oil and have lifter tick or worse

Worse comes to worse you can literally pick up a LS1-3 on Facebook/wreckers for like $1000 for a stock motor

How much is the ute?

$7000 for a VYII SS with 140,000kms

it's ridiculously cheap for what it is I just wish I could see it in person

for a 13 year old ute its about average price there mate

redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2003-holden-ute-ss-vy-ii-manual/SPOT-ITM-229464

Got a link to the ad or any other details pics etc?

Milage?

carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Ute-2004/SSE-AD-4353142

also 160,000 sorry
the interior is crap but my mate with the VZ has leather and he's recently gone vegan so he wants to trade haha

If its that much cheaper its probs been wrapped around a kangaroo at some point...

The cows already died over a decade a ago why does he have to get rid of them? His loss.

High miles gm motor is alright. I wouldn't do any mods, if planning to mod it might as well do a full rebuild.

>2004 Holden SS ute
> MUH DICK
not sure why but i always wanted one of these

okay, incase QLD is too hard
how about this
keep in mind, I hate the tail lights, the steering wheel is falling apart, and by the looks of his oakleys, who knows what the car has been through, but this time my mate can come have a good look which is good
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/korumburra/cars-vans-utes/vy-series-2-ss-ute/1130464349

>the interior is crap but my mate with the VZ has leather and he's recently gone vegan so he wants to trade haha
my sides HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

A VEGAN BOGAN?

AHHAHAHAHA
interior looks fine, bit suss with no engine pics but hay.

Get it inspected and get a Vehicle history check if you havent already done so.

As i said its not that cheap
Ive always been more of a VT VX VU fan and 3rd gen Monaro

Mmm thats a pretty good deal, although given how trashed the interior is (he avoided seat photos) id be weary of how cheap the servicing has been

oh thats been skidded to fuck.

Kek i did the same thing with my steering wheel

still its cheap and low-ish k's and manual

i say go for it.

Yeah true dude, the VT looks fantastic. One of the best looking Australian cars, right up there with the AU falcon. I really wish the Taurus stayed here.

>One of the best looking Australian cars, right up there with the AU falcon.
>best looking Australian cars
>AU falcon.
Does this look best to you?
> I really wish the Taurus stayed here.
are you the taurus fag from the older dat thread?

They are the ugliest cars ever made

>is it a bad idea to buy [...] sight unseen?

yes.

is this a troll thread? are you trying to start a new meme?

>what is satire

The bloke I replied to must have rocks in his head to think that the VT looks good.

why do people not like the VT?

Its fucking identical to the VX, VU and VY Monaro

VX and VU look shitty, but the VY looks great, and while it's based on the last lot, the aggressive lines look a whole lot better than the few models that preceded it. Not to mention the Y/Z series having interiors that don't look so dated.

The monaro had great proportions, and the Z series one was perfect, spare for the shitty placement of the fuel tank cause we decided to export it to the yanks.

Plus, look at the rear end of the VT and tell me you don't get a horrible taste in your mouth.

That isnt a good thing

Fuck off you commie.

VT rear end is dank asf.

t. VZ SS owner

The HSV's of that year completed the look
Standard Commodore VT's look pretty gross

>buying a car sight unseen
>buying a high mileage car sight unseen
>buying a known hoon car sight unseen
>buying a high mileage hoon car sight unseen
>buying a suspiciously cheap high mileage hoon car sight unseen

And most importantly

>living in Victoria

Australia also has half the road deaths per capita of the USA because of our more stringent driver training

>because we have driver training

ftfy

>I just want a fucking V8 before fuel makes them impossible to own ever again

This won't happen. Hell, I drive a v6 VY sedan, and it almost uses more fuel than my dad's SS VE ute. I average about 10L/100km, but I've had it at 13L/100km because of city driving.

So this one has no roadworthy

Should I be worried because he mentions "shouldnt need much"

>not being in Tasmania so you can drive whatever you want on your P's

Plus it only ever rains down here so maximum skiddage

That's still low kms for one of those, I wouldn't expect anything to be wrong with it

when someone says "shouldnt need much" it means "there are some very obvious problems, luckily they are an easy fix. sadly i cant say the same about the dozens of hidden issues that i will neglect to mention"

Mm yeah, being an SS they will look over it very thoroughly in the roadworthy so yeah, fuck it the frame is probably rusting or something

>looks like im stuck with muh boat for now

ask him to take it to a pink slip shop and get a list of shit that needs to be fixed. it could really not be much at all.

its similar story with most of them. the vy and vz are getting old and lot of shit needs replacing by now.

Any chance while we're all here I could ask for some advice? Burger here, what's the best way to acquire an LS engine for a planned swap? I've been told everything from $100 from a scrapyard to $1000 brand new from Chevy.

forums/facebook, i know there are countless random camaro/corvette/gmshit forums and groups for local redneck areas, and craigslist
$100 engine requires a tear down and rebuild. crate engine is plug and play.

>>is it a bad idea to buy an LS1 based car

The rest of the information was superfluous

Be honest with me for a second. For someone who's just kind of scratching the surface of mechanics, would it be better to buy the engine that needs the tearing down, or should I start with something readymade?

depends if you want to build an engine or not. it will take a lot more time and will cost more (if you arent a redneck kike) to tear it down etc