Why are people under the impression that Boxer engines are as bad as rotary?

Why are people under the impression that Boxer engines are as bad as rotary?

Because they're afraid to admit that it's the best piston configuration

They prefer to burn oil and doritos

>pistons lying on their side their whole life slowly grinding down that one side until it inevitably shits the bricks.

seems like a grand idea. While we're at it, I'm sure we can find an easy way to add oil lubrication to that configuration without any issues, not to mention literally double the number of heads of just a i4 or i6.

if you have to pull your engine from the bay to do basic maintenance then you might as well do yourself a favor and throw it in the trash once its out.

>Why are people under the impression that Boxer engines are as bad as rotary?

Personally, I'm more accepting of boxers than dorito tossers.

Still, to answer your question, in MOST road vehicle applications (read: Subaru vehicles), it's a meme layout. The main selling point of a boxer engine is that it's got a low height and therefore a low center of gravity. This can help if the design constraints limit vertical space or if you're trying to make a vehicle with a low CG for performance reasons. However in practical examples, few roadcars make use of this either by being heavy or tall or both. To compound these woes, servicing a boxer engine is often more trouble than a conventional layout because the orientation of the boxer's cylinder heads in relation to the car's hood makes them harder to get to. It's they took all the components and hoses that would normally be around the engine and just pile them on top of it. Just doing sparkplugs is more of a PITA than it needs to be.

Well, define basic maintenance, because you can do basic maintenance on a boxer in a subie without pulling the engine out, it's a lot harder in a Porsche because how the engine sits in the car, you can't blame engines for the company that uses them, if that were true, we'd be shitting on v8's due to Fords old 4.2L.

Understand that gravity, momentum, inertia are absolute, and boxer and rotory engines seem to have not even taken any of that into consideration.

>as bad as rotary
It is the middle of winter, why the fuck are you here?

The main selling point of the boxer isn't the height, it's the length. In an I configuration, you have to space the cylinders apart fairly far. In a boxer, you only have to space them far apart enough for the connecting rods to clear each other. It's a way to cheat a 4 cylinder into the short length of a V engine without the issues of the V4 layout. Look at where the actual motor ends in pic. Super duper short.

>Why are people under the impression that Boxer engines are as bad as rotary?
Because they got grabbed by the pussy when they were young.

>Hey, we designed this engine so it's super short and super low
>And then we lifted it up to clear the exhaust manifold
>And then we pushed it out in front of the front axle
>And now it has a higher CoG and MoI than a normal transverse layout
Boxer engines aren't necessarily terrible, but Subaru is garbage and the WRX is shit.

boxer is fine till you turbocharge the shit out of it, and ride it harder than a crack whore

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. You can pull a 200k subaru boxer apart and still see the cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls.

>length

literally the same length as a transversely mounted inline 4 cylinder.

If I had to have a V4, I'd rather have a 90º V4 than a 180º V4.

i'm pretty sure the lubrication/wear issues are fuddlore these days, but that's just my personal experience. The only times I ever hear of a boxer engine being taken apart is when somebody is boosting a Subaru to hell and back or when an old 911 is undergoing a ground up restoration. Other than that, boxer cars have a tendency to get a totaled and junked before ever really needing a rebuild.

Boxer engines are actually pretty cool. It's incredibly easy to perform maintenance on them

Yeah but transversely mounted is a shit

Says the bus rider.

Inefficient air intake.

Except now you have to deal with transverse crap.
Boxer != V!

If I had a V4 I would have two in one engine, in line with each other. Ill call it... the V8

so much this, i want to hug you righ now

Rotary a shit