twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's your dev music user?

youtube.com/watch?v=gyfKdI6zi9M

Can't sleep.
want to learn more

shin-takarajima. serious weeb shit.
en.musicplayon.com/Sakanaction-Shin-Takarajima-Music-Video-662600.html

Asking again.
I'm making what will eventually be a magica girl RPG. My problem is, I have no idea what the gameplay should be in the parts where you're not transformed and you're a normal little girl.

stealth gameplay for that?

Telling us what the magical girl part entails would help.

now you can move through units if you are heavier than them

Right, sorry. It would be a traditional action RPG, fight monsters, explore dungeons, etc.
My idea was that portals appear in the real world and when you enter them you get transported to an alternate dimension where you fight as a magical girl. But then there should be parts where you're a normal little girl living her daily life between an enemy attack and the other.

maybe make it like animal's forest?

make it into a walking simulator where the girl has to investigate who is helping to open the portals from the real world

Could have "battles" that are actually conversations
Daily tasks like going shopping or school could be "dungeons"
I haven't played SMT but it seems to do something right when it mixes magic and school, so that would be worth checking out

how do you handle your game flow?

game states (comparing bools, enums)?
>simple, easy, but very messy and lots of if statements

seperate methods/functions like updatePlay() and updateMenu()?
>less messy but requires writing more code that is possibly redundant

separate programs, objects, classes, renderers for "menu", "play", etc.?
>clean, modular, but possibly high overhead and complex

some other way?

Yeah I guess something like this could work. Thanks.

>> Engines
>Unity: unity3d.com
>UE4: unrealengine.com
>Godot: godotengine.org
>Haxe: haxeflixel.com
>LÖVE: love2d.org
>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
>GameGuru: game-guru.com
>Xenko: xenko.com
This seems like something we could get rid of

how about minigames?
You could have a runner styled level with the girl trying to get to school in time, puzzles and sport-like games for school stuff itself. Maybe a game inside a game, like Baka Fighters or something like that.

>(OP)
>>> Engines
>>Unity: unity3d.com
>>UE4: unrealengine.com
>>Godot: godotengine.org
>>Haxe: haxeflixel.com
>>LÖVE: love2d.org
>>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
>>GameGuru: game-guru.com
>>Xenko: xenko.com
>This seems like something we could get rid of
This seems like something we could get rid of

Also a good idea.

I'm still at the initial stages, but I will keep these ideas in mind for when I get to that part.

what the fuck is xenko

a SDK that wants to be be a UE4 competitor

>yet another game engine released in the wake of Unity and UE
The only reasons I can imagine for this are someone's made this engine for a portfolio piece, or this is a company's proprietary toolset
Either way if they think people will give a shit they're mistaken

>C#

ebic, simply ebic

>Xenko: xenko.com
>Xenko is an open-source C# game engine designed for the future of gaming. It comes with a full toolchain and is especially well suited to create realistic games but allows you much more!
who was the fucking genious who thought 'hey! we need another C# engine like all the others!'

I don't know, it looks pretty good to me.
But I'm too used to Unity and my PC is too shit to handle UE4 well so this wouldn't run anyway. Might give it a try in a year or two when I upgrade my rig.
I also need to know how the scripting language is. Yeah it's C# but Unity C# is not the same as standalone C#.

I heard they are going to finally upgrade it from the decades old version they are using but they also say a lot of shit that never happens.

boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html

>java

I don't use Java myself, it's so that more people can understand it. Because Java is piss easy and a standard.

I present, "trying"

new enemies that attack you and your boys

How do you animate attack animations when you can equip multiple weapons with different 3d models.

Different animations per class of weapon.

How do you handle "pressed" checks for controllers in GM:S?

As in I want to check get same results as
>keyboard_check()
>keyboard_check_pressed()

but with analogue sticks.

Use gamepad_axis_value then check if it's not 0 for a "keyboard_check" equivalent.
You'll probably have to store the value yourself then check if it's changed if you want a "_pressed" equivalent

For a top-down game. How should the WASD buttons behave?

I sort of like the first option, but the first one seems to me like it's the most common.

what's up with the gamedev thread in /v/?

it's basically a general, why the hell they keep making it instead of coming here?

Have you seen this thread?

s
w d
a

Did graphics for the dash card - it creates a little puff of smoke, character fades in/out black and crows form at the new position. Oh and animations too.

Also you can't hear it in the webm but I got a crow sample and created the sound of lots of crows from it, and also a badly sampled midi version of a linken park song plays every time you cast it.

For my graphics class, we made our own graphics libraries. The final is do use it to make something. What's a game I could make by Thursday? I've done a bunch of 2D games but this is a class on 3D. I don't really want to do anything with physics or complex animation... my friend is doing a shmup.

Those pictures are very brief, but I prefer top down games where W is always up, no matter where the mouse is, and the same goes for every key. So I can move to one direction and shoot to another.

what does that even mean

yeah, that's how I will end up doing it most likely.

In the future maybe add an option for the other system. But that's in the backlog

I took the bait
Fuck off

I'm making a procedurally generated map in unity, then I copy all those gameobjects, while the game is running.
Stop the game, then paste those gameobjects again into the scene. Then I want to remove the map generation script and use that.

I guess I can't, cause unity freezes. Too many GOs to copy and paste I guess.

So I will have to make it with an editor function, I hate that.

How is jam

meow
I could do something like Bloxorz? Or a Sokoban game?

quill18creates has videos on making randomly generated maps like in dwarf fortress or civilization as well as procedurally generated roguelike maps. I believe he displays the map on a mesh instead of making a bunch of tile objects. You'd have to watch the videos.

Clone inteligent qube its the best game ever

Ok I will do it

C++ anons, how can I make it so that command promt doesn't write my outputted doubles with exponents and instead writes out all digits.

You can set the precision of the cout stream object.
cout.precision(69)

He's a bit naive but I like his enthusiasm. Reminds me of the some of my peers back in college -- excited about CS but not incredibly knowledgable. Still would give the videos a positive rating.

thanks

Pretty good. Remembers me even more of Cave Story, if it were a 3D game.

I have zero experience and wanna make a mech game with Dark Souls/Zelda combat. How fucked am I?

I'll just repeat what I said in the last thread since nobody is there anymore.

The game has a comfy darkcave/undergrounddugeon feeling with the blue and dark colors. I think it would be better if you keeped it monochromatic (maybe also add cave things like crystals and blue-flamed torches).

Also, nice progress.

Yeah agreed on the color theme. I was thinking something like Downwell but with more dimension in the color (other than hue).

NEW GAME

Took all day to do what would no doubt be a 3 second project in Unity! Nice!

your 新 is upside down mate

:D
What did you do it in?

LibGDX

Also those are models rather than just quads, so I can have more interesting walls up in a jiffy... once I figure out modeling.

That wraps OpenGL right? What are the benefits over just using OpenGL?

LibGDX can load/render models, has input/sound/music/2d/etc support as well.

It will take a year or more to get good at programming in your engine of choice, if you're dedicated. But it's not too hard once you know what you're doing, it will still take a while to create the whole game though.

The most important thing is to not give up. You will only be fucked if you give up.

which agdg games are you waiting for, other than yours and mine?

Stop shitposting.

The nippo(n) standard: fight mutated giants transformed, play dress up and building relationships when not.

Mindless Persona 4 style?

Never played any Persona because I don't have any Sony console, I know about the social links but how do they work gameplay-wise?

Walking around, talking to people and minigames.

This kind of shit can be surprisingly engaging if you're able to make interesting characters.

Different patterns dictate who you can talk to for building social links.
"Oh she's available whenever it's raining."
"Oh he always wants to hang out on Tuesday."
And then you find yourself planning ahead. Not really much of a game and many players just check a guide. You could generate it, but I'd recommend going for a better design.
If the magical girl portion is centered around combat, the normal girl segment could be stealth? Or gambling? Resource management?

This. Focus everything in the art, nobody is going to care about the gameplay if the girls are cute.

Composerfag here, I've been looking to make some music for a game of some kind just so I can get the experience of it, how do I go about finding projects that need music done for them?

Post soundcloud

don't have one, is it normal for people who are looking for musicians to want them to have a soundcloud?

Its pretty easy.
Post what you just posted and keep this thread open and check for replies and then respond to them. Currently its a low hour in this thread. It should start picking up in 2-3 hours. Eventually interested parties will respond to you.

Yeah

How do I into better in this??

>is it normal for artists to have a portfolio

you must have something to show off
if you don't have a soundcloud - offer other alternatives where people can see your works

Okay, thanks guys. I'm probably gonna post in here some other time after I start uploading a bunch of shit I've made to a soundcloud.

>I know about the social links but how do they work gameplay-wise?

Well once you max a social link and become best friends with someone you unlock Satan or Beelzebub and can summon him in combat by shooting yourself in the head.

There's really not much "gameplay" for the social link part. You hang with someone, a story event occurs (generally showing some problem that person is facing, like love trouble or insecurities showing up) , as you keep doing those events you get closer to the crux of the problem and maybe solving it. (Some don't really have solution, like some kid with an incurable disease who dies immediately after you finish his social link, you basically just hang with him for his last moments listening to his gay poems)

And I guess at some points you get no brainer options like saying
>"It's gonna be alright"
>"Your parents divorced because of you".

Still, don't underestimate people's loneliness and thirst for Slice of Life content. Those social aspects were enough to shoot the later Persona series into a popularity that the rest of the SMT saga only dreams of. Also add lots of different clothing options. Humans fucking love dressing up their avatars even in games not dedicated to that(or maybe exactly because of that), just look at Fashion Souls or Fashion Dogma threads.

timing is good, it probably just needs more frames in the run and better contrast on the guy

If they like your stuff they'll contact you.

I keep a list of potential composers who have posted here over they ears.

>Still, don't underestimate people's loneliness and thirst for Slice of Life content.
I have no social life so I'm thankful for slice of life games to exist. Doesn't care if they are virtual I still get to experience all kind of emotions.

Try to have a little bit of every theme that you're up for making.

You get people who's soundcloud is full of chiptune but offer to make orchestral music with no examples even remotely similar.

Anyone looking for an artist?

Art is a broad subject

Stop giving people false hope.

Anyone looking for an autist?

>Anyone looking for an artist?
Everyone at all the time is looking for artist to make their jam game art for free.

My house has several mirrors, thanks

?

I am fine working for free, depending on the project

hee hee

>someone posts progress in the discord
>"lmao"
>"should have used gamemaker"
>"should have used godot"
>"is it early access?"
This place is supposed to be ""better"" than agdg?
And this square enyx guy looks like an absolute asshole.

>crossing the anonymous-named line
This is always a mistake

>he does it for free