/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ #628 - Police Squad Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jEGro4NpgCg
youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6lVF7wuZk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

STOP. MAKING. THREADS. EARLY.

Old thread was 5 posts away from the limit.

It was time for a new one.

>5 posts early
Why do people do this?

>Gmod OP pic
>Thanksgiving stuff still up
>Number is still wrong

Good lord, I've visited at least four other generals and this one is the worst at new thread making.

Desperation for (YOU)s most likely.
Probably underage.

We have gone well over 770 before a new thread gets posted please don't rush in the future

what will we argue about tonight

Funfact: Someone beat you to it Maybe should have waited, hogface.

It's because he rushed.
He desperately wanted to make the new thread

The Sonic Fan Thanksgiving event details a Joypolis Sonic event that's coming in December.

Dude, even if we've gone over 770 in the past, a new thread should be made when the bump limit is hit. It was a bit early, but it was only 5 posts early.

How is it wrong? 621, 622, 623, 624, & 625 happened.

Seems like the music for the series.

What sort of songs do you guys want to hear in 2017?

No, a new thread should be made when the thread is close to falling off the board, or when both the bump and image limit have been reached. Neither apply to the last thread.

>What sort of songs do you guys want to hear in 2017?
More stuff like youtube.com/watch?v=jEGro4NpgCg

Vaporwave , Future Funk and other 80's/90's style music.

A soundtrack similar to Adventure with multiple composers and each song fitting the respective level.

I don't dislike Ohtani, but Sega has more than enough talented composers that they don't need to keep Ohtani doing everything all the time.

>Neither ply to the last thread

Literally a minute or two after I posted this thread, it hit 750. Stop complaining over nothing.

[%] It's been a while since we've had a Crush 40 song, so I wouldn't mind one. [/%]

>[%] It's been a while since we've had a Crush 40 song, so I wouldn't mind one. [/%]
Eh, I think we're better off without. The vocal themes are kinda cringy and don't really fit the series, especially not now

What would be Sonic reaction if he met him?

apply*

Honestly, I wouldn't call Crush 40 songs "cringy." They're more cheesy, which isn't a bad thing regarding Sonic, imo.

>Honestly, I wouldn't call Crush 40 songs "cringy." They're more cheesy, which isn't a bad thing regarding Sonic, imo.
I'd say they're cringeworthy. And they're too damn cheesy either way. It may have fit the over the top 2cool4skool games of the Adventure era, but the series has evolved past that

What?

They're only cringy if you take them seriously and not as the fun silly songs they're meant to be.

>but the series has evolved past that
My god, you really do take this series too seriously.

Who is Sonic meeting? Is Sonic meeting us? Are you asking what our reaction would be if we met him?

I disagree. IMO, the games best tone was a mix of adventure & comedy, & some of the Crush 40 songs fit in pretty well.

>My god, you really do take this series too seriously.
No, not really. I just recognize that the series has gone in a direction where those kinds of songs don't fit it anymore.

The series has "evolved" into being stale and boring, and it should go back to how it was before. If that means cheese then so be it. I'd rather have something fun than something boring.

You shouldn't really use a word like "evolve", then, as it makes it seem like you believe it's outright improved or, in other words, "grown up".

Honestly, I'd rather have something adequate than something that tries to make up for it's lack of polish with "attitude"
Well, it has. The games have gotten better. Even the writing has, though it's still not that good. But given the option, I'd take Colors over any of the Adventure games

Honestly, I wouldn't say the writing's improved. It stopped trying too hard to be edgy in Shadow & 06, but Colors & Gens was just...nothing. And Lost World had a shit ton of problems in its story.

Personally, I'd say the story to SA1 was better than pretty much all the stories since, with the exception of Unleashed.

I'd rather have good gameplay and attitude at the same time. I dislike the idea that it has to be one or the other.

Besides that, Lost World was worse in both story and gameplay than the Adventure games, and while Colors and Generations were better games, they severely lacked in the replayability department. It was just play, beat, throw away, with no staying power.

>The games have gotten better.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. They have a lot less shit attached to them, but the good parts aren't nearly as good, either. Sonic in the Adventure games is a lot more fun to control and play around with than Sonic in the boost games.

>Even the writing has
Now this I really can't agree with. Pontaff's writing in most cases is just outright bland, and in Lost World was just bad. The Adventure plots were cheesy, which wasn't helped by the English voice acting, but they were at least fun and entertaining. Playing Pontaff Sonic is like watching a boring kid's cartoon with your child or younger sibling, which becomes tryhard and stupid near the end (Lost World) as an attempt to appeal to an aging audience.

It's a shame because I had an updated OP ready to go, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Gotta go fast.

The writing was never good. I don't even bother worrying about it anymore.

Well, you could post it in a pastebin or something, so it can be used next thread.

This. Sonic's never had good writing. Maybe it's the writers, maybe it's the the characters themselves are terrible, but the story is something you don't, and shouldn't have to consider. At this point, why don't they just have a single cutscene setting it up, an ending cutscene, and nothing in between. Just save the trouble

I ain't gonna read all that crap.

The writing has been fun in the past, & it's had it's good moments.

Ehhhhh, it's been tolerable at best. The best written games are the Genesis games

The writing has been on par with Saturday morning cartoons, which is how it should be. You're not going to get Shakespeare or Isaac Asimov or Tolkein in a Sonic game. What we should be wanting is just a fun cheesy story that mixes funny and serious, instead of boring stale garbage.

Honestly I kind of want something that says "fuck it" and throws rhyme, reason,and continuity to the wayside. It's an over the top shitshow with everything AND the kitchen sink. Erazor Djinn back from the dead? Sure, why not. Shadow swearing and using guns again? Go right the fuck ahead. Iblis vs Chaos vs Dark Gaia? Shit, add that too

That sounds dumb.

I wish /qa/ fags would come up with new bait, the "no plot" thing is old now.

user, what about that sounds dumb? If anything, going full fanservice and full Platinum could be fun

I mean, it sounds fine for a fanservice side game, but your wording makes it sound like you want this in an actual main Sonic game.

I do. The plots lately have been so fucking banal and dumb that something over the top could be fun. Perhaps not as crazy as my initial post, but still bugnuts. Make it MGR: Sonic edition. If the final boss isn't fighting a Chaos emerald powered fusion of two gods it's not as crazy as it needs to be

Most impressive Sonic art you've seen /sthg/?

What happened?

Why would /qa/dditors come here?

Place Your bets

That special was fucking great.

SIR, HE'S MOVING MUCH FASTER THAN YOU CALCULATED HE COULD!!!

HE'S ALREADY AT THE COAST SIR!

"It's thinking..."

The usual mix of rock and electronic music, maybe some jazz. An eclectic mix like Adventure 1 would be awesome.
I hope Sonic never ditches the electronic music for some generic orchestral bullshit.

oh my gears and starters

God please no.
I wouldn't mind some 80s synth stuff but vaporwave is only passable when it's an original composition which it never is.
>take hit from the 80s
>slow it down
>add reverb
>slap your dumb ass google translate japanese name on it and don't credit the original artist
>wonder why youtube deletes your channel

He's trapped!

How about this?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6lVF7wuZk

From the Playstaton event.

He's probably the blind Sonic from the anniversary party. Also, he a cute!

Never seen a plush of yourself, Sonic?

The eyes aren't even mesh. Does this poor creature have no way to see?

>blind Sonic from the anniversary party
That reminds me of the fic someone here was writing about a blinded Sonic.
Shame they stopped posting it.

I've always liked fan art where the characters react to merchandise of themselves.

How would amy react to a plush of herself?

Not as excitedly as she would react to a plushy of Sonic.

"Hey! Stop looking up its skirt!"

Any drawfags want to do that?

>"user, why's there a hole in the bottom?"

What's the most autistic sonic related thing you've ever done?

>Making a Sonic OC that's either OP as fuck or just poorly drawn

Come on, we ALL did it at some point.

I want to see that. I want to see that pretty bad.

I have dedicated about 3 or 4 years of my life to a Sonic project. It's still ongoing

At my friends party I sang every final boss theme while drunk off my ass, and finished with I am All of Me

Oh, that's for the "stuffing".

>I have dedicated about 3 or 4 years of my life to a Sonic project. It's still ongoing
>That pic
Is it that Nicole desktop buddy?

Ha, no. That was just a reaction pic.

>Yeah, no. Unleashed was still made during that 06 phase of Sonic Team where they were obsessed with putting Sonic in the real world. Even though Unleashed was cartoony, the locales are still boring cities and realistic areas. Sonic levels are much better when they're super colorful and abstract.
Catched from /v/. Does /sthg/ dis/agree?

Fully agree. Sonic is at its best when it's embracing the fact that it's a fucking cartoon. Lost World had one of the best aesthetics in 3D Sonic because it embraced the cartoon aspect of the franchise so much

At least they looked good and provided a good atmosphere. Lost World, in comparison, was even more bland and uninspired.

Devote 40+ hours of otherwise free time per week for three months dumping comics.

I can't say much has changed, as much time as I spend here.

>Yeah, no. Unleashed was still made during that 06 phase of Sonic Team where they were obsessed with putting Sonic in the real world.
The Adventure games, Shadow, and 06 put Sonic in a realistic world. Unleashed put Sonic in a Pixar/Dreamworks world, which, while cartoony, still featured a wide array of environments without going full on Lost World.

Because you're the original /v/ poster, aren't you?

Nah. I just think Lost World had a really good aesthetic. It was bright, colorful, and cartoonish, just like the Genesis games

I think a middle ground is best. Exclusively colorful and abstract wouldn't cut it for me and it'd feel boring and kind of pointless.

Even the Genesis games had areas like Scrap Brain, Chemical Plant, and Metropolis. Me personally, I'd prefer a happy medium. Not as colorful and bland as Lost World, but not as dull as SA2.

>Even the Genesis games had areas like Scrap Brain, Chemical Plant, and Metropolis. Me personally, I'd prefer a happy medium. Not as colorful and bland as Lost World, but not as dull as SA2.
Yeah, but the dark and murky stuff was still relatively rare compared to the bright stuff, and Lost World did have murky stuff towards the end

Lost World was closer to the SNES Mario games than the Genesis Sonic games. Genesis Sonic was detailed for its time, not pillowy cartoon landscapes.

I had a weird obsession with Amy when I was about 10-11. I would copy her art from Sonic Advance over and over and over. And attempt to draw my own raunchy outfits on her. Amy and Krystal almost turned me into a furry. But thank God my mom had a subscription to Victoria's Secret to snap me out of it.

I've got some bad news for you, user...

Boco would love you

No, that's dumb. Even when Sonic levels were inspired by real-life locations, they still made them bright and colorful and shiny instead of boring realism like other games. Rooftop Run isn't just a photorealistic recreation of Sienna, it's got balloons and confetti and it's colorful as fuck and you run up and down a fucking clock tower and all that. Skyscraper Scamper isn't a recreation of New York City, it's a massive fuckoff megalopolis above the clouds that defies imagination. That works perfectly for Sonic.