I want to get an early 70s muscle car that isn't gonna burn a hole through my wallet...

I want to get an early 70s muscle car that isn't gonna burn a hole through my wallet. Pic related is what I was thinking. Recommend me some classic muscle cars, Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

allpar.com/mopar/mopar340.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>early 70s muscle car
>isn't gonna burn a hole through my wallet
Pick one.

That isn't going to be cheap. Try picking one that boomers don't charge an arm and a leg for.
> muh charger tax

Just get a Javelin and work on making it reliable, then fast.

Mopar : A-Body

Cheap
SB or BB
Good Handling
Aftermarket

Gonna second this. I would personally look for one with a 318, 340 or 360. Preferably the 340 since it was known to take down even hemi powered cars.
340 cars have been described as the thinking man's muscle car.

This i am of the agreeing.

What about 70s 2wd pickups
>same motor (usually just detuned worse case lower compression)
>same trans(if not better)
>cheaper
>plentiful
>ungodly amount of aftermarket support
>and if you wreck it noone will cry

Little red express>c-series>d-series>f- series

Is this a roadrunner or a duster? And what year?

Its a 68 GTX/roadrunner honestly the fucking 2 run together if im not mistaken but its a A body mopar. Fan of the roadrunner cause im partial to 383's.

>that isn't gonna burn a hole through my wallet
I just bought one and i've spent $400 on it and it ain't even running yets

>Preferably the 340 since it was known to take down even hemi powered cars.
>340 cars have been described as the thinking man's muscle car.
Maybe that's why they're unobtainium.

dodge demon, dodge coronet, plymouth 68 GTX, Plymouth Duster, ford maverick or a heavily modified GAZ 24 volga

meh. Just build up a 318 then. All the 340 was was a 360 with a 318 crank.
You can make a decent 400+ HP 318 without changing the displacement

Ford Maverick maybe? It's what the Mustang II should've been. Not the biggest or most luscious car, but in turn it'll actually take a turn and be light enough to go like beans with "only" a small block under the hood.

>but in turn it'll actually take a turn and be light enough to go like beans with "only" a small block under the hood.
The Mustang II does that. A lot of Pro-touring muscle cars use Mustang II/Pinto front suspension setups.

Yeah, I meant in the form of a pony car to begin with as opposed to a huge fucking muscle barge like a Charger.

Also Dodge Dart Sport. These are worth pennies for some reason especially when there's work to be done. Bonus points if you get a roller and throw a Chevy or Ford block in there instead of holding yourself up with the crazy Hemi crowd and their stupid prices.

The Dart Swinger is a bit more expensive but features straighter lines that make it look a little bigger and more serious than the big hip Sport.

>throw a Chevy or Ford block in there
why? Just throw in a built 318. or 360. It's not like they're rare or hard to find and you can do just as well with them.

can't have a cake and eat it too

why the fuck would you even want a Hemi in one

why the fuck would you want a Chevy or Ford engine it

LAs are neat

Mustang II is closer to the original Mustang so what are you talking about

the 71-73 were the ugly pigfat abomination years

why the hell would you put some Chevy or Ford in there, when there's plenty of kits nowadays to put a 3rd gen junkyard Hemi in there, in front of something like a classic A833 - or a T56 if you're willing to cut up your trans tunnel.

>All the 340 was was a 360 with a 318 crank.
It was a lot more than that.
allpar.com/mopar/mopar340.html

It'll take some $

As someone whos built and run all three at stock 340 is best, 318 95%of their heads are overly restrictive, and 360 is all low end torque with to low compression and to much crank to run high rpm

However a 318(high compression) with 360 heads(nonsmog) will beet all other la assuming you can find a class that lets you run this combo.

And if your dumping infinite moneys in a motor why not spend the cash and build a well balanced 440? ive seen guys at the strip run 9000+ rpm with them with only the occasional major failure. and running a car that hard 20 a times a day at the strip, is subjectively more abuse than you could do runing it as a show car or cruiser

> be 16
> buy my brothers comet gt

Good God I loved that fucking car.

Chebby novas aren't ludicrously expensive unless it's an SS, big block, manual transmission car.

A Road Runner is a B body. A mid size. A bodies are compacts, (Dart, Duster, Demon, Valiant and '64-'69 Baracuda)

OP here. Thoughts on a 70-73 Camaro? Maybe I can pick up one for 6k that at least runs? On the topic of that, where can I find these things for sale?

>Maybe I can pick up one for 6k that at least runs?
Oh you innocent child..

1) A cheap 60's-70's muscle car will need a lot of work done.

2) One that doesn't need a lot of work costs a pretty good chunk of money.

3) The best option is to get a project car and slowly built it up. Pick something you like most, something that really means something to you and build it up.

4) If you want some suggestions on where to start, I would look at how expensive parts are more than the car itself. Look for a car that still has a big aftermarket for it. Mustang, Cougar, Thunderbird, Firebird, GTO, Camaro, Corvette.

5) I'd go for a restomod build and make it something that can be driven for fun and still be reliable and modernized for performance and comfort.

Huh...there seems to be conflicting info as in you google A-body mopars and it lists a 68 GTX, yet wiki states it is a B-body. Get your shit together internet im trying to learn here.

that wiki article links to Argentine cars for god knows what reason.

>The best option is to get a project car and slowly built it up. Pick something you like most, something that really means something to you and build it up.
That's kind of why I want a 70s Camaro. Grandpa had one and sold it.
Where do I get one? Craigslist, eBay and other major car sites all have restored cars. Probably the most expensive part I'll buy is an RS conversion kit if it isn't an RS already.

You're not finding any pre third gen for less than the cost of a new cheap Mercedes.
You missed the boat by about 14 years.

All these people posting MOPAR can lick a dick. Mopar is the single most overrated sack of shit in car culture. Even more so than Bimmer fags and Pastabros. You want 70s muscle you need to go to GM bruh. Get you that Chevelle, Nova II, Buick, etc.

t.assmad GM fangirl

Nah man, I enjoy Mopar just as much as the next guy but I don't fucking gush cumloads about it. And get this, my dreamboat? 67 Ford Falcon. No fangirling here... if a Challenger sat on my lap I wouldnt push it off if you know what I mean.

I just call it like it is with the price gouging of wierdo Mopar dudes.

>I just call it like it is with the price gouging of wierdo Mopar dudes.
please list examples of price gouging for mopar products.

No, E-bodies don't count, they're rarer than a jewish nigger.

I'd take a magnifying glass if you're picking up what i'm putting down.

...so the the Argentinean GTX is an A body? What the fu-who fucking cares why the hell would that even be admitted god damn.

literally what is your budget op?

Craigslist will probably be your best bet, but expect everything to be wrong with it. As they aren't selling it "because they don't need it anymore" or "need a family car" or "need the money due to family crisis". Expect them to be ditching it because they are tired of dumping money into it and it probably has numerous things to fix still beyond cosmetics.

Also, don't spend more than you are comfortable with. Even if you feel like you could make it work. Just be patient and you'll find a good deal eventually.

15-20k after restoration

Dart, Valiant, Duster/Demon, 73-74 Nova/Apollo/Ventura, Maverick

That's a mopar B body. It's completely different.

> Demon

Fucking loved those cars. My dad had one when I was a kid and my idiot brother destroyed it within a few months.

There's a couple wops with 69 Fairlanes around here. Pretty fun cars to drive if you can find one that isn't rusted to shit. Most of the ones in my area seem to run but not well. Don't discount the 68/69 cars.