What was the Thirty Years War all about? I know nothing of it

What was the Thirty Years War all about? I know nothing of it.

a guy was thrown out of a window and Austria threw a shit-fit

killing Germans

Germans attempt to destroy Europe again. It's a recurring theme in European history.

When will the European solution to the German problem come?

It was the last cool war.

A handful of coalition wars to curb the Habsburg power in Europe under the pretense and veils of religion.

t. Karl-Franz

A Czech chimpout caused a civil war within the HRE and then the rest of Europe ganged up to beat on various kinds of Germans.

a struggle between an imperial system of governance and the emerging nation state.

Pikes and shit also inaccurate guns.

It was the most influential war in western history (arguably)

If christfags from Veeky Forums had political power

this

the thirty years war was the culmination of almost a century of religious & political tension in germany, this clusterfuck eventually included (directly or indirectly) every nation in europe & was considered, at the time, the biggest conflict in history.

Basically this and this . The 30 Years War was ostensibly fought for religious reasons, Catholic France going against the Catholic Habsburgs shows that this can only be half the story.

On a large scale, the Bourbons and Habsburgs were trying to alter the balance of power in their favor. The Austrian Habsburgs felt that the Reformation was weakening their power within the HRE and that the Spanish Habsburgs didn't give a fuck about them because they were busy colonizing the Americas.

For France, however, they saw themselves with Habsburgs to the West, Habsburgs to the South, and attempts by the Habsburgs of Spain and Austria to exert control over the Papacy and various Italian states, traditionally something the French would do.

As for the little states...

Denmark felt threatened both by a large Catholic power and by a strong HRE, because even though Denmark is small, they control an important trade route. And, of course, they could remember when they were a much stronger power.

Sweden wanted to increase its power in the Baltic, as well as become a Great Power in its own right, seeing itself as a Protestant alternative for countries wary of allying with Catholic Spain, France, or Austria. However, the Danes didn't like that and so they flipped sides, at least nominally.

In Bohemia, there was the struggle against the Hussites, but in the end they still considered themselves Catholic. A number of other German states did side with the Protestants though, because they were sick of Austria.

The Dutch, in addition to being Protestant, had the same complaints as any other colony in history and wanted freedom from the Spanish.

>In Bohemia, there was the struggle against the Hussites, but in the end they still considered themselves Catholic.
They were not Hussites, that's two centuries prior. And the struggle was not primarily religious, but also political.

In Bohemia's case, protestant nobles wanted to increase the rights of the nobility by playing the religion card, hoping to land a protestant alliance to help them against Austrians should a shitstorm start.

Unfortunately for them, only the Palatinate answered.

Until the world wars that is.

My bad. My knowledge of Bohemian history is somewhat shitty.

Iron pill me on what happened in the Americas during this war. Any colonial conflicts?

Dutchies removing Portus from Brasil.

Strictly speaking their religious beliefs did largely stem from the Hussite wars though but by that point there was way more to that as the protestant HERESSSSSSSYYYYYYYY was getting in full swing.

The Spanish Habsburgs literally saved the ass of the Austrian Habsburgs when in the first stages of the war the protestant nobility was ravaging Austria proper and laying siege to Vienna. The Spanish Army intervention from Italy and massive financial support changed the tide. It also intervened to capture the Palatinate from the Bohemian Protestants and put it back in the HRE hands and again Spanish intervention put an end to the Swedish stage of the war after annihilating the Swedish-Saxon Army invading Bavaria. Everything should have ended right there in 1635 and there were succesful peace negotiations by restoring the 1555 religious agreements and preserving the unity of action of the HRE.But France wasn't getting anything out of it and it's like had been funding every revolt, the danes, the swedes and the turks for nothing. Still, the French were being buttfucked until the internal rebellions of Naples, Andalucia, Catalonia and Portugal happened, as a result of economic exhaustion and empoverishment caused by military and financial support for the Habsburgs of Vienna and their retarded campaigns.

Now I'd like to know when the Habsburgs of Vienna gave a fuck about the Habsburgs of Madrid.

>Now I'd like to know when the Habsburgs of Vienna gave a fuck about the Habsburgs of Madrid.

They gave a fuck when Carlos II named a French prince as his heir.

Read this.

>Cover art

One fucking job m8

better cover art, but dated and not as exhaustive. Better narrative and prose though.