Burgundy Thread

Why is medieval Burgundy so overlooked?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgundian_language_(Oïl)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh come on guys

What the fuck did Medieval Burgundy do worth looking at?

Its just France.

It was interesting. Why would this book series exist otherwise?

the "grand bastard" doesn't get a book?

He wasn't a Valois Duke of Burgundy

It clashes with French nationalist historical narrative that they were a united country 5ever.

Does modern Belgium inherit anything from medieval Burgundy?

Why would they
They aren't near each other

Flanders was a part of it.

This.

Veeky Forums is secretly in love with France.

you dense motherfucker

More like
>Charles the Told

t. Louis XI

You know, if I had the time I would learn Breton and just speak to people in Paris for shits and giggles.

>being this retarded

Burgundian history is not popular at all. There aren't any documentaries or videos on it either.

It's hard, at least for me, to even properly explain or define what Burgundy is. Was it in the north by today's Belgium or in the south near today's Switzerland? Are there or were there ever distinct Burgundian people?

>secretly

It's more of a closeted thing. Like that one guy who's really into being your friend for some reason.

Netherlander here - the lavish Catholic southern lifestyle of the Lowlands is often referred to as "Burgundian". It implies you drink heavily, eat heartily and generally enjoy life.

While it is used for both Belgium and the Catholic southern Netherlands (mainly; North-Brabant and Limburg), it is very applicable to Belgium in this context.

Also; a lot of the Flemish (Dutch-speaking Belgium) cities in Belgium have an architecture that stretches from that time in history - as it was one of the more profitable periods for that region.

Fun (stupid) fact; the type of Carnival celebrated in the Netherlands comes in one of two flavours. The Rhennish type - which is celebrated in Limburg and resembles Rhineland German Carnival - and the Bourgondisch type - which is celebrated in North-Brabant and resembles Belgian Carnival.

Interesting. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Have you seen any particularly neat historical landmarks or artifacts?

There was a language

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgundian_language_(Oïl)

However, Burgundy ceased to exist well before nationalism- so their language is dying out thanks to the eternal Parisian attempting to assimilate all of France since the Revolution.

Truly the greatest country on earth.

Can we talk about the Burgundian barbarians? They had a really cool code.