> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

uhhhh im never make game and no much programing knowledge but which graphical libraby lets me stay away from driverstuff??

should be
>if you can't do art for it give up edition

where are the anime games with cute anime girls

why would we put lies into OP

We have anime games?

that one horror black/white game is pretty anime

its more manga than anime

reminder C++ is not a scripting language

Thanks for making an early thread and filling it with stupid shit!

To be fair, Python's whitespaces requirements should be used even in languages that don't require it as just standard good coding/readability practices. If white space messes you up when programming in python, you're probably missing some basic concepts about programming

Bump maps make me moist.

Tabbing in when you definite the body of a function/class/loop

space in before and after functions

don't miss tabs and spaces

All of these are good coding practices

You have to think in python, which usually involves an admixture of alcohol and amphetamines keeping you functional while you jam other assholes' shit together into something resembling a finished product at 3 in the morning. It comes from a time and a world where the alternative was perl.

>girl explodes
YOU MONSTER

t-thanks

>repostan the new uniformed look of the event and combat cards
I may redo the ally cards next, any ideas for unique followers?

How the FUCK does stat balance work in RPGs?
>attack power
>attack stat
>weapon attack stat
>enemy defense stat
>enemy equipment defense stat
How do you put them all together to get the final damage dealt to the enemy?

Phew. Finally done with Iyu's set and it looks like it's working well in-game. Looks like I can move on to the other facesets now.

Looking good, user. Ideas for followers: kid bully, fanboy/fangirl, private detective, ex-soldier, veteran nurse, occultist librarian, serial killer

Python is actually pretty intuitive. It "effectively" has only two base types - strings and numbers. When you try to add strings and numbers you will obviously get errors. But when it concerns numbers, it doesn't really matter if they are integers or floats. You can add, substract, multiply and divide variables as long as they are not strings. And the code, in most cases, doesn't require specific input types. And if it does, it is incredibly easy to convert types with built-in functions.

>he doesn't use tabs in his code
holy fuck, I'm glad I'll never have to work with your code.

Yeah but where's the game? Did you ever post anything about it apart from these portraits?

You create a damage struct which is just an Enumerator and a float/int.

When you do damage you send an array of damage structs the enemy.

The enemy sends the array to his equipment which then subtracts the damage, returning the array you send with the adjusted damage values.

Then you send the adjusted damage values to your "skills and stats" which includes buffs, built in racial bonuses, or anything else.

After that it returns the final damage values and you subtract that from your health.

It should be noted that most of the time you want to send it to skills and stats before equipment, but it's whatever really

another reminder that C++ is not a game development language
only use C++ if your intention is to never make a game and to make a graphics framework instead

>another reminder that C++ is not a game development language
>most used game development language

Huh

Aye good to see you back. It's hilarious how she panics when she falls.

>another reminder that C++ is not a game development language
>most used game development language
>Huh

I think that the most used development language today is UE4 blueprints or Unity C#, pal

Game just looks like it did in the old version right now, minus this new set of portrait art. I'm polishing up a finished game that I made a year nad a half ago; most of my work here is going to be additions in areas and tightening of some art assets and dialogue/writing/puzzles.

You'd be wrong.

so its a visual novel?

I see. I don't remember seeing this at all, I guess that's because I started coming here about a year ago.

It's an adventure game, yeah. VN's not too off.

That's alright. It wasn't a super popular game even then; didn't get much attention back then either.

>DarkBASIC Professional

ag-ee dag-ee or aj-ee daj-ee

Not game development releated

how so?

what would my gf think

is every new thread a "new engine" now?

I sure as hell know what mine would think....

FUCK OFF i'm not your girlfriend, I already told you a billion times that I like girls

What started as a private detective became a fashion blogger

no, just the threads with this thing in the op pic apparently

its not like UE and Unity are the only engines out there

That's an upgrade in my book.

almost thought this was bokube

Thats fair I suppose.

I am currently programming in BCPL for work. Talk about constraints, sheesh.

would you mind describing what's it like to program in BCPL
for example, lets use C++ as comparison

There doesn't seem to be much about it in the google.

>gaffer on games is down
f

I would say its close to assembly but with some snippets of convenience. Bit more rustic than C, yet I prefer it to C for some reason. Haven't done much C++ to be honest.

I come from doing primarily A LOT of PHP and web language things for 2 years before walking into this, I also don't have any 'software developer' but would say im very capable and a quick learner. Its challenging to come up with some solutions which is most of the fun.

and what is your game written in?

Also as for variables, they are 24bit words iirc? No arrays or anything like that.

JavaScript

How is your progress, anons?

I've just finished writing shader for snow displacement, that is centered around player character and supports multiple trail "casters". Now I need to make it work for actual terrain, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Why is finding game development partners so difficult.

I haven't made a post explicitly looking for partners, but I answer those who are looking for teams. 7 people now I've messaged. All of them interested, none of them are good at programming.

First year college student, IT sys admin who doesn't understand why you would use enums, and more shenanigans.

It's from the same guy actually.

>tfw doing horror game
>tfw thinking through what makes a good horror game

Honestly the only thing I've come up with are:
>oppressive darkness
limiting the player's access to light to a point that you force them often to navigate by sound alone
>limiting choice
forcing a player to continue on, and when they double back realizing its not an option is scary
>controlling noise levels
I always fine quiet is much scarier than screamers. A distant soft sob is scarier than a sudden loud noise.
>limiting information
Knowing everything takes away the horror a lot of the time.

Honestly the idea for what to do is something I thought about while in bed.

Something else I find that limits horror games in the modern setting and modern access to information and the amount of humanity that is around constantly to interact with.

Shit man I don't know. Right now I am just modeling a giant stone cube and realizing I actually have to practice my human modeling because I'm still awful that that.

Wow man, that looks baller. Shaders are magic.

Please. I want 7 stories.

Also why you no recruiter like? With pre-interview questioners and tests and stuff for the bantz.

I want a go if you do make one

Hey AGDG,

Do you have a dirty secret?

Add some weeping angels, they're all the meme at the moment

>tfw only good at programming/music
>can't art for shit

Nobody cares. Shut up or post progress.

Plenty

I love my game

I really think that they are a cheap thrill.

Things moving while you can't see them are scary. What I think is actually worse is things DOING something while you can't see them, or only seeing them out of the corner of your eye. It's much more insidious thinking that what ever is near you has a plan beyond you, or even that you're insignificant to what it is doing. A force of nature sort of thing where it acts and you are just happen to be caught up in it.

The Angels are too focused on you the individual, and not the overall narrative.

pretty

Going alright. Definitely going to have to make new BGs for the game though in these dialogue sections. Really washes out the art in the present darker state. Also, need to hook up all the new art to the emotions as well.

>write function that substracts given number
>works fine with numbers like 1, 2, 0.5, 0.1
>but does nothing with numbers like 0.001, 0.0005
am i getting fucked by the floating point precision ?

What the fuck. It's in unity and i do is basically this

SomeNumber -= MyNumber

so there is no room for it to be my screw up... i tracked it down to any number smaller than 0.004 won't substract anything and any number >= 0.004 will work perfectly fine

Have you made your own gamedev tools? Tell me about them.

I am your mother so yes, I made a tool that gamedevs (you).

How big is SomeNumber?

Yep, definitely a floating-point precision issue.

I made this simple tool for designing dialog trees for my game, since doing it manually in a text file was maddening

Move to doubles

what'd you make the tool in?

javascript + html + css

How do I operate arrays/lists in Game Maker?
For example: I put an object into list and now I want to use object's data, in case of Lua it would be just putting a table inside table.
In Game Maker it's apparently possible by just marking and position in list as list, but documentation says it's used for json_encode...

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it?

Don't tell me a number that small would warrant doubles

>not using coroutines

A 32-bit floating-point number has between 7 and 8 decimals of precision. The difference in magnitude between 100000 and 0.004 is a little more than that.

It would get rid of your issue

If you wanted your character to toss his sword in the air and catch it wouldn't it be easier to have an unskinned bone in the actual character model and animate it there? I say unskinned so the sword can be swapped out. If you give the sword its own animation you will have to make sure it lines up with the character animation in Unity/UE4 and that sounds disgusting. Does this make sense to anyone? What is standard?

>A 32-bit floating-point number has between 7 and 8 decimals of precision. The difference in magnitude between 100000 and 0.004 is a little more than that.
I don't understand, i only use 3 tenth places in 0.004 so i still have 4 left over as a reserve

The result you expect is 99999.996 (disregarding that neither 100000 nor 0.004 can be exactly represented in the first place), which needs to be rounded off. You just end up with 100000 again.

Cool. Like Journey but with snow

oooohhh i get it now, i thought the floating point only counts for the part of the number after the period so unless you have more than 7 numbers after the period it won't matter. Well fuck me. I will now have to change 90% of numbers i'm using in my game from floats to doubles because everything i knew about the floating point is fucking wrong

the real solution would be to not use such small numbers with such big numbers

I know its sound shitty but you can't expect precision with floating point at those magnitudes, especially when you mix them

what are you doing that requires those numbers, I'm curious now

Yeah I was gonna mention this. It is abnormal to need high precision with extremely large values. You probably need to rethink whatever it is you are trying to do.

the player has a jetpack which has 100k units of fuel and when he is moving 0.001 of fuel is substracted during each fixed frame (60 of them per second) that way the value goes down nice and smoothly

>the real solution would be to not use such small numbers with such big numbers
Wrong, he can use doubles and, if absolutely necessary, even more than that (fixed point, integer and double together, etc.).

Saying "no ur doing wrong thing" as if 32-bit floats are literally the only way to make a game is unhelpful.

Yeah make an empty bone and animate it in blender.
Are you making an action RPG inspired by the Tales series too?

Maybe store the fuel amount as an integer, since you're subtracting a fixed amount? Your jetpack would have 100m units of fuel and you would subtract 1 unit of fuel each frame. If you want to display it to the player on a 100k scale you can just divide the value

no more like zelda 2. I was just thinking of different sword animations and one of lloyd's winning poses came to mind.

ints might be better for that, since you can go up to like 2 billion signed and 4 billion unsigned

subtract 1 from that each frame and you have enough jetpack for enough seconds to make someone starve to death holding down the jetpack button

that also means that you have more fuel units than pixels you could possibly display on a screen, so any fuel bar would be as smooth as you can get

> Just posted my project to reddit looking for a partner

>person messages me immediately
>I'm only in high school, but i've been teaching myself c# for the past 4 months and I think i've done really well

Plz hold me

that won't work since the consumption value varies in a curve so it will never be an integer
holy tits, it worked! it works perfectly even with tiiiiny numbers now.
is this a concrete fix? As in no matter what size the numbers are it will always be 100% precise?

I don't' think it really matters senpai. If your weapons are going to end up being skinned meshes (like they have their own animations) then I would do it there but if they'll be static then I would do it on the player.

No sense adding to the render overhead if you don't have to.

that's your average game dev. have you looked at the Unity forums?

Is it a girl?

I always feel bad when that kind of shit happens. Like, I don't want to hurt some kid's feelings but I also don't want to work with a teenager I don't know who is just learning to program and will drop the project halfway through anyway.