I want to learn engine shit. I'm tired of being only capable of mantinence and wear part replacement

I want to learn engine shit. I'm tired of being only capable of mantinence and wear part replacement.

What is the best engine for me to go down to a pick'n'pull to buy off the shelf and rebuild for kicks? Won't be going into a car unless I find a roller to drop it in later on but I'll basically just be doing five wires to fire with the engine on a stand.

tl;dr want to into engine, which one is most like legos

Also I have a Jeep if the AMC 4.0 is good for such a thing. If that's a good idea I'll snap one up so I can have a spare motor.

Bumping, I'm curious about this also. I'm thinking something by Honda or maybe a 4.6 v8 ford

Chevy small block or k20
Happy wrenching

You wanna start small? Go find small lawn tractor gasoline engines that are completely destroyed because people dunno how to oil on craigslist.

A little bit bigger? Old clapped out shit bikes for sub 1k.

Even bigger? Honda civic's dood.

V8s? Bro ford put the 302 in everything. I can rebuild it with my eyes closed. Hella cheap.

Eurotrash? Sorry, don't do eurotrash.

>Eurotrash? Sorry, don't do eurotrash.
Then I'll suggest one. VW 2.slow, common as fuck and simple as hell.

Or for people in yurop, a Twingo. Seriously, those engines are as basic as a 1.2l SOHC engine can be.

One from a lawnmower

Really? Is the experience actually relevant to automobile engines? I was thinking some Toyota inline 4 would be the best to start with, especially if I want to know what timing belts are like to replace.

Honda d16. They're everywhere, simple, and there's tons of aftermarket.

They operate on the same basic principle, but they're a lot simpler and therefore easier to get started with and harder to fuck up.

Chrysler ECC or EDZ DOHC I4s, they're cheap as shit, were everywhere and parts are plentiful including go fast bits

>EDZ/EDV
>option to build a turbo sleeper neon when I'm done
Tempting.

Seriously?

This is the best. K.I.S.S. Once you can tear down and rebuild a lawn mower engine, then get a 2 cylinder motorcycle and repeat. Then try cars.

Otherwise just an old Chrysler slant 6. You can always sell it for scrap.

Its the ability to build good habits from a solid base, so I put them in the correct order. I would never EVER suggest something like a Porsche 944 to learn how to change a timing belt one since you have to dissamble the front end. Also, interference engines are vastly more complicated than OHV engines, so pretty much everything I suggested is the simplest style of that configuration engine. Ohyeah stay the fuck away from anything that has forced induction.

Well there you go then. You could also consider a chebby tree fiddy or Mopar 5.9. pretty sure there are swap kits for the chebby, the 5.9 was in the zj.

ferd 302 or chebby 350 any other answer is incorrect

Not only are those two engines easy as fuck to work on... if you rebuild... OP, lets just say as deep as your pockets are is how much horsepower you can get out of those mules.

Don't bother with a lawnmower engine unless you want to understand 2 strokes and suddenly get lost when you work on a 4 stroke.

A shitty toyota 4 cylinder engine would be best to learn on.

That's how I assumed it would go. I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick between the ECC, the D16 or the 4.0 and see where I get myself by tearing it down.

at NAIT, the trade school i went to, we learned on the 2.2 ecotec, and the 2.8 60 degree v6 gm. far as i remember, no special dealer tools are required for either.

both are shit, fuck gm.

Do you even understand that most lawn mowers are 4 strokes today?

And the discipline of "spark/fuel/air" and proper use of a torque wrench carries over.

But yeah, go ahead and tear apart that VTEC or turbo motor. Be sure to take notes. Or not.

This. Go buy a LT1 that someone has I a junk yard because they couldn't figure out the optispark. Cheap as shit and a beast of a motor

>NAIT

hahaha, fuck dedmonton

>mowers
>grandparents had shit old mower
>doesnt work supposedly
>alright the lawn needs mowing and you dont have any other method of doing it so i guess ill fix the old one
>dismantle it
>oil comes out looking like regurgitated milk and smells like varnish
>clean the everloving fuck out of the 2valve shit head
>put that shit back together with new oil plus a bit of oil on the valve parts
>works gud
>real gud
>until on of the blades flies off, the whole rotating assembly becomes as unbalanced as a mental patient and the mower shakes itself into a grisly death
They bought a new mower but it was a good learning experience

>Lawn mower engines

Ya'll niggas slingblade

I would suggest anything '90s and Japanese.

Hell, if you get the whole car that's even better because you can put the engine back in and drive it around, make sure it runs afterwards. sell it for a profit.

But another 4.0 would be great as well.

B and d series hondas.

Prove.
Us.
Wrong.

any engine is fine you fucking retard

I could probably get an entire non-running XJ for $300 and just pull the thing. Nowhere to put the (hopefully) rolling frame though.

Yeah dude lets get him a VK56DE

4AGE or B16

Both very easy to work on

This. Currently learning on my Integra

Sure, let's have him rebuild an Audi V8 or 2.7TT with zero experience. What could go wrong?