To the kids that actually drive here; explain what he did wrong

To the kids that actually drive here; explain what he did wrong youtube.com/watch?v=W04WoqsMGUo

> inb4 subaru
Subaru

Other urls found in this thread:

humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

correct me if i'm wrong but lift off oversteer?
must have freaked out and tried to countersteer while letting off

His rear wing wasn't large enough to keep the rear planted at high speed.

That, and he's fucking lucky to be alive. Little faggot. Take that shit to the track.

Lift off oversteer which is something the WRXs are know for doing on account of having so much weight in the nose.

I don't really get how he could lose rear end grip like that unless he has done something stupid like weld his diff or over inflate the tires. Seemed like there should have been grip.

This, but he should have countersteered WAY sooner. Why he actually lost grip there is unknown to me.

The anons saying it was lift off over steer could be correct but it seems like he could have avoided it if he lifted off and slightly counter steered a bit earlier than he did before coming to the slight bend.

Don't you have to stay in the gas with lift-off oversteer on an STi? It goes against instinct.

If he had countersteered earlier, yes. His reaction was slow but he did everything right when he realized that it was no longer possible to straighten the car out

he was speeding on a public road, that's what he did wrong

Looks like some shitty tires or something. Maybe too cold, too stiff, not enough downforce etc. Basically not enough traction in back.

He had just a little bit of rear end drift going that I probably wouldn't have countersteered against. I'd let it scrub some speed and ride it out. I would have ended up in the grass too I guess.

busrider

Oh now I see! His back tires started sliding as soon as they hit that freshly painted double yellow line. Loss of traction at the wrong time.

Could have been a lot of things:
Too stiff of a rear sway bar
Too much air in the rear tires
Summer tires, or worn rear tires on wet roads
Stiff / lowered rear suspension causing rear bump steer
Lift off oversteer , as noted
Missing rear wing

Defending bus riders here: OK, but what if you were in the oncoming lane with your GF and minding your own business, then this idiot approaches at 100+ and starts drifting. Would it be so cool?

Your the busrider.

>doing 100mph+ in a residential area

Hope the fucker learned his lesson.

1.Strong wind picking up on the vapewing
2.Turned too much on that curve that it fucking oversteered + in an AWD yer absolutely fucked
3.Hurr if it was a a RWD could've pulled a MAAAD SKID ULEH, AWD and FWD would get rekt in that situation because haha power on the front wheels

All of these points are correct

Also
4.Too much throttle applied
5.too cocky to think he's Makinen

God dammit I hate the Thanksgiving holiday kids coming back to Veeky Forums.

>Too much throttle applied
You actually have to apply the throttle in an AWD to get that grip from centrifugal forces.

fucked up quotation

Yeah, the general rule of thumb in a properly balance AWD Subaru is to give more throttle as the rear begins to step out, then countersteer.

This tells me the car was likely modded or had shitty tires or something.

>explain what he did wrong
He survived.

He countersteered WAY late.

This is just a driver skill thing. Race drivers react much faster in this sort of situation than the common church lady. Not that I'm a race driver, but it has been studied. It's the difference between spinning and gliding through the corner with a bit of slip angle.

This video demonstrates why OEMs give us slow cars that understeer. Thanks NOOBS

he turned too hard, too fast....duh /thread

Jokes on you leafs get thanksgiving in October

>Take that shit to the track
Where is the fun in that?

>if you go off the road you have less of a chance of fucking up your car and/or yourself
>no cops
>you actually learn how to be a good driver
>you get to brag about how you have enough money to afford a track day

This. /thread

Pretty much this.

When the back started coming out, he should have just used a little bit less throttle and it probably would have come back in line just fine. Lifting immediately when the RPMs are up will make it worse, braking will make it worse. A few days screwing around on the way to work when it's snowing would have taught him that.

Nice.

And take that shit to gravel or ice covered roads in the middle of nowhere. Or at least a huge parking lot. AWD cars are their own beast. You have to know how to drive them. But his speed and demeanor clearly shows he doesn't know how to drive his car.

Dude, all the fun is in that

>You have to know how to drive them.

AWD is about the easiest to drive. Lift off oversteer isn't as bad as a strung out FWD, since not all the drivetrain load is on the front wheels. It rotates well due to having some power at the rear wheels, but isn't nearly as prone to oversteer as a RWD. In low grip conditions, the front wheels will pull you pretty much anywhere you feel like pointing it, and it's absolutely piss easy to drift within inches of light poles in empty parking lots when there's snow on the ground, consistently, and without hitting them.

Really, if you're managing to fuck up in an AWD car on gentle bends, you're just a fuck up.

he started oversteering before he let off you cuck.

>what he did wrong
He drove at 100mph on a road that wasn't intended for those speeds. Probably a small dip in the road that caused the rear to lose contact.

I don't know if it's the camera angle or what but that did not look like 100 mph. To me it looked like he was going 60 to 80 mph max. Still it was obvious too fast for the road/vehicle conditions. From the looks of it I would say cold or very hard tires where the cause of that along with a little lift off oversteer. When you have the suspension loaded up that much you never want to have make any adjustments that will upset the weight transfer. It would have been better to give it a little more throttle to try and get the front end to bite more. Unless you are feeding power into the system the awd is not really doing anything for you.

That's what gets most people in trouble with awd. Thinking hey I can take off really fast no matter the road conditions but they forget at some point they will have to stop or turn and awd can't do anything about that.

Wrong wrong wrong

His back left tire, while loaded, went onto the solid yellow line which has very little traction. It's like hitting a patch of ice.

Didn't do it right, he needed to equinox it around a tree...

Why you fags need to keep your engine below 5k rpm on the streets and save it for the track.

You're not wrong, but you're only halfway there
Is the second half.

Had he floored it, he could have saved it.

He's clearly already understeering before hitting the paint. Overdriving the tires his his main mistake. Hitting the paint is just what caused the spin rather than using the oncoming lane to runoff the bend.

watch the horizon, you can see the weight transfer around 0:08

>weight transfer happens before he's even on the paint

Sure thing guy.

This too, certainly didnt look like 100mph from the trees, but maybe the camera lens is something fucky.

>I like overheat my engine
>he still has stock oil pump and radiator

seems i wasnt the only one to question it, but hey we're wrong.

this. easy to see. watch his tach drop before the spin.

He's not driving a MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION VIII GSR MR (TM) (R)

Hey I was thinking about getting one of these two cars

Either the Subaru WRX (not STI) or a Lancer

Not sure which In should look into since they're both so similar

He probably didn't have the right driving gear on

is that mark hammel?

I'd blame bald tires, its cold out, he started to counter steer his slide way too late, he came over a hill and the road itself has little bumps that might upset the balance of the car. He also might have a bad suspension set up and lost traction because his tires stopped touching the ground after such a small bump

At least he didn't hit anything. worst thing that happened is he bent his tire out of alignment or its just dirty

i actually cant see the tach drop in screenshots. his hand is in the way.

it takes him ~0.66 seconds to begin counter steering the slide.

humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Here's a tester to see how you stack up.

So it sounds like he lifted maybe a little from his understeer then he fucked himself into oversteering with absolutely no reduction in throttle or braking?

picture clearly shows a 7, post says 8.

? Lifting is a reduction in throttle.

Honestly its hard to tell, to me watching it it "Feels" like the weight shifts forward but when taking the screenshots.. its kinda contested.

it might be because of the crest in the road that causes the screenshots to be inaccurate.

Only other things i can think of
typical subaru owner fits stiff springs makes the nose dive alot less also gives you less grip.

alternatively added more steering input, front end gripped again as he moved over the road onto grippier tarmac and the rear began to step out because of the speed.

are people not aware what oversteer feels like?

I've had it happen in FWD cars, AWD cars and especially RWD cars.

pic related, mike from canmore

>TFW had to borrow mums wagon shitbox cause my shitbox was in the garage (a concrete box of shit)

>rainy nights throw it into roundabouts and lift off the gas for POOR MANS DORIFTO

>? Lifting is a reduction in throttle.
I meant after cresting a hill he didn't reduce throttle nor did he reduce throttle when he first started to slide which catalyzed his oversteer. He may have actually been putting full throttle into it the entire time which only compounds his sliding. Pair that with cold and potentially bald tires its a recipe for disaster

Driving too fast for his (lack of) skills

No countersteer
Didn't accelerate out of skid
No doriftu

7/10 still better than most, sadly

Oh go crash your mustang or something kid. Check out the speedo, it's decelerating just as the slide starts, this is lift off oversteer. He is understeering towards the yellow line just before he looses it, and as he backs off the throttle to regain front traction he is fucked.

Correct.

Needed to countersteer quicker. Gotta have quick reflexes to drive fast.

Just plain old oversteer, nothing new here, dudes lucky the telephone pole didn't want to introduce himself.

Bingo. I've done this to a much, much lesser degree in my STI. More throttle plus counter steer saves the day.

Honestly, I wouldn't enter a turn at maximum throttle in an STI. You need some headroom on corner exit, even in a sweeper to keep the weight were you need it. Sometimes you just have to brake before the turn and power out.

I got .350 both sets I tried, is that really bad?

its below average. you should be around the 250ms mark.

alternatively you could have some kind of technical issue that is affecting your times.

(Average human reaction times are; 250ms Visual, 175ms Audio, 150ms Touch)

Underrated

Looks like simple liftoff oversteer to me.

Could've been recoverable if he hadn't waited until his face was pointing at the trees to countersteer.

Basically, he panicked and is bad at driving because shit reflexes.

I'm no expert but he was about half an hour too slow with the counter steer, plus for it to slip at all at those speeds rather than just understeer he must have either hit a bump or had trash rear tyres.

>Cold tires on street tires
ROfl
>100mph slide
>quite clearly enters it at about 80mph
lmAO
>loses traction due to yellow line
kek

It's an off camber corner kid felt understeer, you can see the car push out onto the wrong side of the road far before that and let off a little.

Letting off a little in a STI with properly set up suspension or even on stock sometimes will put you into a very mild oversteer.

It wasn't the 'tyres spinning on the line' that was a very gentle slide that should have been easily controlled if the kid reacted in time - it's a classic lift off scenario and experienced the same in my STI - the car tells you when its about to happen and you have to be pretty awful to not catch it.