I'm looking for a QUALITY general purpose toolbox that can do most everything mechanical without costing a damn fortune

I'm looking for a QUALITY general purpose toolbox that can do most everything mechanical without costing a damn fortune.

A couple of ratchets, enough socket sizes to work on anything from lawnmowers to tractors, screwdriver set, hexkey set, etc.

Not made in China please.

Anyone know? I haven't found a good set yet that doesn't cost a fortune.

Other urls found in this thread:

sonictoolsusa.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I got one of these back when Craftsman was USA made.

$100 bucks.

Pawned it so my now ex wife could go to a concert.

I'm basically looking for a toolbox that at least has what this has except the made in China part.

Might as well pawn your manhood lmao

chrisfix recommended sonic tools in one of his videos

sonictoolsusa.com/

You make sacrifices for the ones you love sometimes.

anyone ever used a digital torque wrench? I hear they're way better than click type. Obviously not going to get a snap-on, just a $100 one for casual use.

>pic related is $550.00

If it's just casual use you probably don't need a digital one.
I thought crafts man was still made in the USA?

i have that one i got it on sale for 400$ from the snap on guy. he had two (2) promotions on it and i just had to get it. it was 100$ off and the same time if a traded in my old TW i got 50$ off a new one. its alright. it just fancy. just get a regular click type. i feel the click type can get more abuse compared to the electric one which you want to be sensitive with

Pittsburgh

are snapon dealers like avon dealers?

"Craftsman Industrial" is the new name of the made-in-usa stuff.

There's not much to forging a wrench or broaching a socket. Making them in the USA is a waste of talent. Get your sockets, open-ends, and screwdrivers at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools or the "Great Neck" stuff they sell at Autozone. Spend your money on a nice ratchet handle from Matco or Snap-on or Proto.

As far as I know, the beam-style torque wrenches from Craftsman are still made by Western Forge, and are the finest torque wrenches in existence (look for the "wf" on the wrench)

Get the idea? Let China and India do what they are good at. Let Americans do what we are good at, measuring tools, stuff with moving parts. Easy stuff like sockets don't have the margin to support American workers.

yes

There are only two types of automotive tools now.

Expensive High quality tools that don't break (Snap-On, Mac)
Cheap Low quality tools with a lifetime warranty made in China (Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, Pittsburgh, etc.)

I have a big set of automotive tools from Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh). Cheap, yes. Shitty, yeah. But, if I crack a socket, they replace the entire set for free.

my old shop foreman went though 3 3/8ths ratchets and he's on his 4th 14mm 3/8ths impact socket.

I had one of my 1/4 ratchets screw up internally, local snappy dealer installed new guts for free. also broke a 1/4 10mm deep socket.

Also what about slightly lower end expensive tools like blue-point or expert?

Yeah. If youre not professionally fixing cars pittsburg takes the cake.

>Craftsman

literally shit. i lost 100$ on them by buying turbo sockets which sucked for professional use. i had to spend 300$ just for better quality from snap-on and matco

Coming from an electrician... Klein all day every day. You get what you pay for.

>mfw seeing someone with cheap babby shit tools

OP here.

Klein doesn't make ratchets or sockets.

Bummer.

is what I'm looking for, that ISNT garbage or pricey as fuck like $500

look at blue point or expert.

they're the "value" brands of snap-on and mac, respectively.

i got the cheap menards brand and its perfectly fine strong drawers and does not feel cheap at all

I got this for 100$ and it literally does everything I need. I fucking love it.

I bought a makita electric impact though and it is incredible.

That was past when they were good.

They might not be snap on tier, but for a hobbiest or when I was doing small engine repair that kit was perfect

> does everything kit Kat needs

So it managed to pose for a picture so you could post that you have real tools on Veeky Forums?

>ones you love
>ex-wife
nice try cuck

Hey it's gotten the ferd running more than a few motorcycles and cars running from the dead. Countless lawn mowers and snow blowers too.

>I want quality shit that's made to a standard and the company to back their products up......
>but I don't want to pay money for it......
>no cheap stuff......
>but nothing that cost money
Veeky Forums tool threads in a nutshell. The price you pay to a company like snap-on is so that 8 years from now when it breaks you get a FUCKING BRAND NEW ONE FOR FREE! And when you want to trade it in, the give you cash towards a new one, THAT WHEN IT BREAKS YOU GET A NEW ONE FOR FREE. They also have that pesky feature of being built to not strip the fuck out of half the bolts on your car.
>love a mechanic who has $100k in tools and has tried them all
There are a few niche manufacturers that cost even more that are very nice though.

>tfw you left pic related a snap on pick in a customer car today
>feels bad man
:/

>call them/have office call them
>get it back
Happens, I have no problem apologizing and asking if they can drop it off at their convenience. Shit is expensive yo.

It never works.
I have left a

Blue point trim clip remover
Stream light
Snap on pick
Probably other shit too.
Also left my time card in a car once. That I stressed the most about. Logged my hours on that thing. Dude never came back either.

No one ever came back when I called. I ended up replacing the stream light for 100$ I left the blue point tool last week and the snap on pick today.

Was using my 6pc mac tools pick set today. I'd rather use the other set.

Must be a normie shop. I work in a performance shop with specific customers. Always get my tools back. Sorry bro.

I work at Subaru so I guess it is Normie.
Everytime a customer answered they go
"Oh I have to be here at this time I'll come back after"
Nope.
Only time a customer ever came back to return something to me was a pair of husky pliers from home depot when I worked at Honda. I think I was replacing an airbag inflator or someshit I left it on the floor board

Why would anyone feel sympathy for a god damn pussy who sells his shit for a roastie

She was my WIFE dude.

That Craftsman kit was $100 and a lifetime warranty. I'd rather not pay Snap On $20,000 for the same kit when the tools are only twice as good.

For that money they should be ten times better, gold plated, diamond encrusted, made from unobtanium, and cook dinner for me.

>it was a CONCERT dude

>just wait until you buy your first snap on tool.

This, kek

Tools would've lasted longer than your wife anyway.

A concert isn't something you have to prove your love by sacrificing for, user. If she needed some money for a medical procedure or to attend a relative's funeral, I could see pawning some shit.

she is a cartoon not your wife

>cheap menards brand
You mean Clark? I've got one of their boxes. It's great!

>not a drop of oil
>not a sign of grease
>not a speck of dirt
>small tools still in mfg's plastic bag unopened
>tools still in the case
>case is factory new

Craftsman is crap it's literally worse than harbor freight

try searching Craigslist for tools yet?

The best tools are the ones you use. Work with some old timers, chances are they'll be using whatever the supply house had, and it'll be working just fine.

Get that one. Made in china doesn't matter, you still get free replacements.

If something breaks, or you don't like one particular thing, replace it with something better down the line. In 99.9% of cases, having a chinese wrench or socket isn't going to strip a bolt out.

Finally someone with insight. Thanks.

I don't believe I will EVER have enough disposable income to buy even a screwdriver from Snap On.

Happy wife happy life man.

Wut

I'm beginning to agree...

Just buy some Craftsman or Kobalt. There will be a bunch of shit on sale for the holidays and it is more than enough for the average weekend warrior.

Some HF stuff is ok, but a lot of it is complete garbage and wouldn't even be fit for your grandmother to try and change lightbulbs with it. It isn't worth buying the HF sets when you can find a similar Kobalt of Craftsman set for $10 more on sale and the tools you need won't break within a couple weeks.

And this is for all the "Muh USA" fags

>sells tools for g/f
>wants to buy on the cheap american made
Go with husky, a majority of tools are made by one company.

When did Craftsman go overseas anyway? All of the Craftsman shit I have is USA made aside from the set I got last year.

She WAS dude

>no money to buy snapon stuff
As a mechanic all my snapon stuff came through the guys that lost their stuff in the vehicles. No idea where from but it rolls in from, sockets left on the bolts, screw drivers under the carpet around the dog housing, wrenches and ratchets in the carrier coolers on trailers.
>work on things and get free tools.

That picture is 2.5 years old family...

>tools still in the case
That's the way to do it. Otherwise you end up with a clusterfuck of loose sockets and it's such a pain to actually find the right one.

She was a dude?

I wipe down my tools after using them because getting greasy hands just by touching tools is whack.