Hey guys I need some help with my 79 camaro if you wouldn't mind

Hey guys I need some help with my 79 camaro if you wouldn't mind

I had to go out of town for 7 weeks and it was only started once during this entire period, nowe that I'm back I've noticed that while accelerating and driving normally it doesn't accelerate "smoothly" it kind of sounds like it's ratcheting or vibrating as it accelrates specially at highway speeds but it kind of goes away at high speeds and also the car physically vibrates at idle. It's idling really shitty actually now that I think about it chugging and womp-womp-womp . I've had a similar issue to this before when I cracked a header so I think it may be an exhaust leak. Tbh the day I got back me and 3 of my buddies were cruising around and we bottomed out hard on a speed bump and I think that's where it started.

The cars going to my dads friends shop for a few minor things like the horn not being hooked up, the parking brake being disconnected and a broken speedo anyways so I figured I'd have the guy check this out too so I'm trying to prepare myself financially.... do you guys think it's just an exhaust leak? I also noticed a few cracked dried air hoses around my carb and replaced some of them. Is there anything else it could be like a timing issue or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Fkwt3NvB5Gw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I normally do my own work anyways but this is my DD and I can't get a rental or something while I have It taken apart for 2 weeks trying to figure out what it is. I also have excessive blowby so I'm having a problem knock it out quickly rather than me fuck around on it. Unfortunately in the Marines they inspect your vehicles before every major holiday and if it fails your totally fucked and can't drive it off base. So this needshould to get done like right now

clean the carbs
check air filter

Checked airfilter and sprayed the carb down and flicked the linkages and shit yesterday, didn't really do anything.

It basically sounds exactly like thisso I'm hoping its a leak and not the cylinder smashing itself to death

youtu.be/Fkwt3NvB5Gw

Maybe something in the distributor came loose or moved slightly when you hit that speed bump.

>it idles and sounds like shit
It's an old Ass camaro what did you expect?
>it doesn't accelerate smoothly
See line 1
>physically vibrates at idle
See line 1
>it's my daily driver
>dding a 35+year old car that is carbureted and extremely unreliable
Oh shit. See line 1

I insisted on making the same mistake when I was 16. Lots of learning happened every freaking weekend keeping it running

>Unfortunately in the Marines they inspect your vehicles before every major holiday and if it fails your totally fucked and can't drive it off base
what

Are you that guy who posted about his automatic TH350?
I told you not to fuck with that transmission.

Yeah old camaros are notoriously unreliable and really fucking cool looking.
>excessive blowby
You blow'd a ring, power is out of balance

I didn't mess with the tranny my dude I haven't done anything to it actually for some time now

Yea I know it's an old car but the engine and tranny, and entire exhaust are new as well as all the ignition components and everything. I have new wires plugs distributor and an accel racing coil too and more importantly it wasn't doing this before I left at all it was idling smooth as butter and accelerating perfectly I had a pro muscle shop tune the carb and set the timing it was nice and firm

Yea man before long weekends they do vehicle inspections to make sure your cars are safe and street legal. It's because an obscene amount of Marines kill themselves every month in motorcycle accidents and car wrecks, so its their way of mitigating loss. I know a guy with on old school blazer who basically had to leave it parked because it was so unsafe. It's fucking gay man your cars Also have to conform to California smog laws to be on base even if your from out of toqn state and got it registered back home

Oh God I hope not, I've had pcv issues in the past so I hope its just that

>lists all these mods
>automatic transmission
I'll never understand people like you

I bought it like that man besides I'm a faggot that doesn't know how to drive stick. That's changing literally tomorrow though I'm getting a stickshift 97 sentra for 1500 bucks from a mechanic friend to learn stick and DD now. Funnily enough when I went to the muscle shop and asked about swapping tell tranny out for a manual all the old crusty muscle Heads told me to just keep the th350 3 speed because it's apparently a legendary muscle car setup to have that with 5.7Leonel chevy. They were saying to justhe put in manual valve bodies and a trans brake

5.7 liter chevy*

Your kidding right?
A marine that can't drive manual.
Holy fuuggg that's cringe.
Sentra is a good shitbox to learn manual on. I'd ditch that American shitheap asap and buy a nice fast manual car like a newer challenger or something.

Well I learned back high 9th grade (I'm 26 now) and haven't done it since except for like a random dirt bike here and there. I love the old American guzzlers

It's true that most people then and now prefer autos in camaros. They're mainly for drag racing and an auto can simply shift faster - ESPECIALLY with manual valve bodies. Take it from a guy with a fox body that would otherwise be crushing everything at stoplight pulls, I win or lose based on my shifting plus my 2nd is starting to get bitchy and I have to hold it in when I really get on it, which subconsciously slows my shifting down even more because I don't want to break it. Enjoy learning on your Sentra but a torquey engine is different.

I was thinking about putting a transgo stage 1-2 kit into the trans since its not a "true" manual valve body. It gives u the option of starting in 1st and shifting the gears manually yourself, or just putting in Drive and it operates like a normal automatic except that the tranny will be reprogrammed to shift crisper and faster. No trans brake thoigh but its 40 bucks so whatever. The guy earlier said to avoid it though so I'm gonna do more research

Like I said I don't really know the difference in those manual/autos since I went manual fox body even though it's betraying the kid me who always thought the GM ponies were cooler looking. After seeing the differences under the hood, in weight and the more available stick in the fords I had to go that way personally.

>it was only started once during this entire period
It was taken out for an absolute spanking. Probably a rod knock.

Doesn't really sound like a knocking rod though

Today on the way home I smelled exhaust all in my cabin so I think it's probably the exhaust the. I'll have they guy check it all out though just to be safe

Transgo is good stuff, not sure how they do it on a TH350, but on a TH400, all it really is is a different valve for the 1-2 shift solenoid thing, and a plug for one hole. With the TH400, they also give you a new valve body plate and gasket set to dual feed the direct drum, which helps with power holding and better shifts.

There are a few reasons to avoid the kit though. Mainly, the valve body plate can leak at high pressures, so if you have a beefy motor it can cause problems. The main pump spring they include also raises line pressures waaaay too much, so you have a higher risk of breaking stuff, and it generally makes the trans shift really, really hard, which wears out the rest of your driveline quicker. In general, raising line pressures with an otherwise stock transmission will wear parts faster, as pretty much everything is now under higher load.

You can do pretty much everything the transgo kit does internally, at least on a TH400, but you have to actually rebuild the transmission to do it. Generally, doing things internally will work better, as you can run higher count clutch packs and block off or open up various holes to make sure you don't blow seals and still get crisp shifts. Again, I only did a TH400, but on mine, you restrict down a feed hole in the main pump to keep from blowing input shaft seals, and you block off the 2-3 shift solenoid to get crisper shifts, though you only want to do that if you're running reasonable line pressures and dual feeding the direct drum, otherwise you'll break stuff.

The long and short of it is, the transgo kit is good, but it can lead to early failure in a non-built trans. Building the trans properly will always be the best option, but if that's not feasible, the transgo kit will help out a lot.

He's probably just got a mildly built 350 at most and is only gonna do stoplight launches. Sounds like the kit is where it's at for him.

You nailed it on the head man, mildly cammed 350

>Not immediately advising to swap a T56 Magnum
What a bunch of retarded faggots, go to a different muscle shop.
It's not cheap but with a white lightning shifter these are god boxes.

Unrelated, but whats your rear gear ratio and mpg?

I couldn't tell u man, I don't know much about the car I bought it from a builder because "it looked cool" back when I didn't know shit about cars. The speedo and odometer are broken but calculating by how many miles I drive daIly, how big my tank is and how long gas lasts me it's like ~10mpg