What are the advantages and disadvantages of a diesel engine? I heard you can use corn oil or something

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a diesel engine? I heard you can use corn oil or something

>advantages
Better in literally every quantifiable single way.
>disadvantages
None whatsoever.

Nascar

>Pros
Cheaper fuel costs
Great low rpm power delivery
>Cons
new diesel: higher maintenance costs (DEF, DPF, SCR etc)
old diesel: smokey and smell
Medium age diesel: practically perfect in every way

More expensive to maintain than N/A gasoline counterpart (depends)
Doesn't save as much fuel if not warmed up completely
Doesn't rev over 6k, ever
Short powerband
Sounds like shit (subjective)
Not an enthusiasts' engine of choice
Smoke and smell
BUT
Easier to tune stock (remap, chiptuning)
Does save a shitload of money if you drive long distances often
Low RPM so more comfy at high speeds

Overall: not worth it if you drive in the city, absolutely worth it for long drives, if you own a diesel car you don't belong here

Pros
More tork
Cheaper petrol
Cons
Possible diesel tax
No high revving

Much better to tow something with a diesel than gas

>More expensive to maintain than N/A gasoline counterpart
Wrong

>Doesn't save as much fuel if not warmed up completely
>not worth it if you drive in the city
Unless you can actually prove this, I saying its is bullshit and calling you a liar.

As DD there arent many disadvantages, maybe in America because mechanics cant even.
diesel engines arent very "flexible" in rpm range tho, but they are much more "solid" and have lots of torque, i cant really explain it
they are a lot better to maintain highway speeds, but its not a fun engine to rev and have fun in
And for me its a must in a truck, better for tow and heavy loads, and better for 4wd overall

>Advantages
Highway speeds
MPG
Torque
Offroad

>Disadvantages
Revs
Fun
More complex engines
More expensive to maintain (because turbos, but today most petrol engines also have turbo)
Heavier

Do you know anyone with a diesel truck? Ask them about their maintenance bill. If your truck is over 5 years old and you're not putting a grand into it yearly you've found a fucking unicorn.

t. ex diesel owner, 3 grand a year for 3 years until it got the boot.

>buying american

Diesel engines do take a lot longer to fully warm up, but thats not the reason you shouldnt do short distances with, its because of the DPF. It will clog up and its a pain
ofc this is only for the newer diesel engines

yeah it will be a bit more expensive to repair, but its not supposed to fail so often

My 20yo Diesel Toyota Landcruiser has been pretty reliable over the last 10 years, but i know if something fails will be expensive.

dont buy american diesels

Don't buy American shit you cuck.

lol wat.

Diesel has cost more or the same as gas here in the states for years.

>not an enthusiasts engine of choice
>all enthusiasts are racing enthusiasts

Oh boy

>Cheaper fuel costs
Someone went full retard

>the entire world is the US

Yeah someone did go full retard...

America is still great again and your country still a shit

I live in US but I still know that there are places where diesel is cheap.

Pretty soon we won't have to give a shit about then because there's gonna be a fucking wall around everything that isn't America and everyone can suck my star spangled cock

Thats still cheaper, since diesel drinks x408 times less fuel compared to pedro.

You are retarded

can you put corn oil in it or something?

diesel a shit

Oh lord it's that one faggot who goes 80mph over boulders in his imaginary magicmobile

not an argument

This

Dpf and egr are the Jew circumcision equivalents for diesel cars.

Don't they also have multiple cats on top of that?
>tfw 120hp td with 230lb/ft torque that could be making 300lb/ft without these meme devices and maybe .1 or 2 bar more boost

Making so much more torque rather than peak power is what I find appealing about them.
Also no spark plugs so when it comes to ecu tuning its a whole lot more simple/easier and a matter of increasing airflow and the timing of injector fueling points and duty, rather than fucking up ignition by 1 degree and being left with a 5 thousand dollar mess on your garage floor.

Reading comprehension

not an argument

Yurocuck here. Believe me, don't fall for the diesel meme unless you drive a truck or you have to drive all day long.

Diesel engines are only a thing because of political reasons, you probably want them because you can't have them, but their only advantages over gas engines are :

>longer range
>more torque for the same liter (especialy with turbo)

That's it.

But they have too much drawbacks to be worth it. Sure, if you compare the specs they look good, but to get such performance (and because of environmental regulations) the reliability and the maintenance becomes shit, especialy compared to old NA diesels (which had shit performance in comparison).

TL ; DR : keep your gas engines

Not an argument

not an argument

not a argument

see

لا جدل

not an argument

Realistically, unless it's a complete engine failure (which doesn't necessarily cost any more than the 1FZ gas equivalent) the only other component that's remotely expensive on a 1HZ to have rebuilt is the injector pump. And a $1300 exchange fee for something that may need to be replaced once I'm the vehicles 500k+ km life isn't really worth losing sleep over.
Simply sounds like you bought a lemon. I've owned trucks and 4x4s with nothing but diesel motors and they're dead reliable and cheap to fuel. Hell, diesel fuel in Aus is marginally more expensive than regular gas at times but the economy still more than offsets that.

i bet it was a dodge. dodg can't pick a transmission for shit

Still waiting for back country Vic user with his crap Falcon ute on LPG to put his rabid, pig ignorant and scultifyingly ill informed views across.