Who here works at a dealership or shop?

I just started as a service cashier at a nearby Ferd chain dealership. It's easy work so far, and I think they're grooming me to take over other responsibilities like managing the loaners, helping to balance the Accounts Receivable books at the end of the day, etc. It's fun working with the service writers and the techs, they're a good crew.

Pay kinda sucks though, at least for now. But it's a guaranteed 40 hours a week plus overtime on some weekends. I get discounts on parts too, and they can source fucking anything.

When they teach you how they deny warranty claims, please report back.

HA

I'm not sure I want to know. It's probably pretty shady. I just smile, sympathize and give the customer back to their advisor so they can argue. I used to do Geek Squad and it was pretty ridic the stuff the manufacturer or Best Buy would deny.

Shit here is SUPER FUCKING EXPENSIVE too. I remember it was like 800 bucks for a set of tires and balancing/mounting on a Focus (not even an ST or an RS).

I do parts for a dodge dealer, pays pretty alright and the jobs alright.
Overall some things are turbo priced but for the most part prices are competitive, aftermarkets always cheaper but in some cases only by a little.

>guaranteed 40 hr/wk
>overtime (time and a half, I assume)
>growth potential within the company
>2016

you've already won

That's how I see it. I'm more of a computer guy, so I'm hoping to transition to their IT team once I start getting certs. Rumor is they want to set up a call center for scheduling appointments and stuff instead of outsourcing it like they do, and they'll need a big overhaul of their phone systems to do that. They're using what I assume is an old PBX system, and a full VoIP stack would probably be preferable. I used to fix the store phones at my last job all the time.

how much are they paying you?

$7.50/hr with up to 5% pay increase annually if I exceed all performance standards

Only $11/hr. Pretty lousy, but I couldn't get them to budge in the interview. But my shift is 11-7 so I don't commute in traffic, which is totally worth the skimpy pay for now.

I work as a Tech for Toyota, make a good living, but yes, shit is expensive fixing your car at a stealership.

>mfw $900 job simply because someone tried installing their own battery at Autozone and fried their shit.

>guy hits a pothole
>replace tire, rim and fix alignment on just that one wheel
>almost $1800

i nearly spit out my coffee when I saw the invoice

>someone tried installing their own battery at Autozone and fried their shit
How???

Reversed polaritys. Fried the entire fuse block. Parts and labor over $900. Also killed said Durashit battery, had to buy a new Truestart battery.

Besides normal maintenance items and repairs, we get alot of DIYer's that fuck their shit up.

Did a 28hour labor Repair order on a

>Scion tC some kid slid sideways into a curb probably pulling the handbrake showing off.

too close to home user

I was a lot porter for a couple years at a local vw dealership and eventually moved into the shop as a part time tech and finally transitioned into the parts dept. While all my friends went to college I worked 40+ hrs while being part time in school. The techs and service writers have become some of my best friends and everyone is a big goofy family. Don't be afraid to ask about a raise once you are accepted and are regularly relied upon. They know that good reliable help is really hard to find, especially in dealerships. But yeah, enjoy it man. Its pretty fun for work. Currently making 18/hr and consistently hit 50 hrs/week and have full benefits.

Kids who crash cars with such low millage need their licenses removed. How someone can be so much of a fuckwit is beyond me.

Also had someone buy a FR-S who couldn't drive manual trans, cooked the clutch and throwout bearing welded itself to the input shaft of the trans.

A Tacoma some bro filled with diesel fuel, fucked the fuel pump and injecters.

The list is endless.

>Also had someone buy a FR-S who couldn't drive manual trans
WAT
>A Tacoma some bro filled with diesel fuel, fucked the fuel pump and injecters
I can see how it could happen, its still pretty fucking stupid though.

Put the List in a Longpost

I am but a lowly phone poster, would take forever.

Think