Anyone join the military as an officer after college...

Anyone join the military as an officer after college ? What field /branch were you and did it help you with business ventures after you served? I'm looking for something that will translate to a job after I do my 4-6 years. Possibly a trade job or something that will get me management in a corporation.
My friend is an army engineer officer and he tells me it's all just managing people and not much actual hands on learning.

welcome to government
when work needs to get done, we hire it out

What you mean?

government is easy, but you dont learn anything
its good for getting paid, but you dont learn any useful skills, unless they are paying for a license like a CPA, MD, or PE.

I was thinking of using the money I get to help pay for going back to school and getting a finance degree/masters if nothing translates after I get out

If your clueless military logistics officer could possibly be a good semi-transferable job to UPS or amazon, but probably not.

When government wants something actually done, and not "meat in the seat" they hire companies to do it.

Like road repair, private companies do a better job for less money.

Don't join the military unless your happy with the money, you won't learn any skills. Everyone in most small govt in usa who makes any real money is not a line worker, they are managers, who manage contracts (call companies to get bids and do the job).

Government in america hires about 5x more people than it really needs, its a jobs program, use it to get your CPA license if you can (very very few if any CPAs in military, becuase government does not need them, because they are the government) all govt accounting gets weird and useless outside the govt.

Its a small bubble, and you will not be thinking like your in the real world, and you will be dependent on the teet of the taxpayer.

Its great if you want to be a govt leech though.

Ignore this dingus OP. I work in pharmaceutical sales and they love hiring ex military. One guy on our team was some sort of platoon leader or something and killed it at the company. plenty of room to grow into management too

well you might want to sign up for the reserves first, then you have more freedom...

I wish at an Amazon right now I was thinking that too, just working reserves then doing Amazon part time till I go into active duty.
Did you hire the guy on as a manager straight away?

Thoughts on this anyone?

I was thinking ROTC into Army or Nat Guard reserve

I wouldnt mind training a weekend a month and getting several thousand a year in pay/benefits.

Is this really an impediment to working a private sector career?

like i said: its a military service is detriment for a small business (especially reserves)

Great for government, but some large corporations might suck your meat stick cause your in the military... Companies care more about patriotism and their troops than money right? kek

my life story, bro.

Air Force vet here,

ANY company will hire a former officer into management level positions. While you're in build contacts and use Linkdin, you'll have zero issues getting a job on the outside.

With that being said, I'd go into something like intelligence, finance, more blue collar jobs in the military . Being an artillery officer is cool, but that wont translate.

Yeah I was thinking finance officer too . Air Force is strict with officer requirements you think it's worth a shot? Over like army

>My friend is an army engineer officer and he tells me it's all just managing people and not much actual hands on learning.
for the most part. but most of work is bullshit. if you want to do a field, push that as a military career - you'll get exposure, but you won't do it the civilian way. you should be pushed to do the civilian certs though

Yes, the Air Force is the most corporation like, it will be an easier transition. The Army should be your second choice, and if you commission, again go for the blue collar stuff. Don't worry about being all hooah.

> Veeky Forums Thinks going into the military is good for getting "business venture jobs" post military
>Being this stupid

If you want a "business venture" type job for BEFORE, DURING and AFTER university than don't go into the military to begin with.

Real Estate, Automotive sales, Mortgage brokering. Helicopter and Boat leasing (depending where you live) are all business venture/sales type careers you can start and get into with just a high school diploma. Even better if you HAVE university degree and go into Real estate for example.

You only GO INTO the military if you plan on being an independent contractor afterwards for security or police.

I've got friends in Canadaland that served their 4 years. Got out. And went to work for the private security/police corporation that protect the train systems here in Canadland and they make 75k a year starting.

If the military is good then , why are veterans always complaining about needing money and being retarded/broke?

>why are veterans always complaining about needing money and being retarded/broke?
These are guys who are any or all of the following:

>1. idiots
>2. broke before joining military
>3. not good with money
>4. alcoholic
>5. infantry/any job that means nothing as a civilian
>Retarded going in, retarded going out.

I spent 4 years on active duty, made a plan for when I got out and stuck to it. I'm finishing up my bachelors and have been investing while in school and have zero debts. It just comes down to individuals not being dumbasses, you wouldn't leave your job and say "fuck it" and figure it out after the fact, yet that's what a lot of vets do when they get out.

Would the military help you with some post secondary after serving artillery though? No direct jobs I know, but there has to be some skills that it would be able to build

you forgot got married at 19, and wife is a black hole for money

I'm an Army Artillery officer. Been in for about three years now. Stationed in Europe, making about 80k a year in take-home money, but a lot of that goes to my expensive rent. What i'm saying is an army officer lives comfortably compared to college peers, but there isn't too much potential (Earnings wise).

Right now i'm staying in for at least a few more years, since I enjoy what I'm doing. The army will also pay for a graduate school/program of my choice - if i incur an extra few years of service.

This
> not wanting to have the government pay for all previous student loans (if you plan on military after college)
> not wanting the government to offer to pay for ANY form of graduate degree from a MD to a JD,
> not wanting the huge resume builder service is, plus the starter careers in those high level fields like law or medicine
> not wanting to have benefits, however minor, that make you better off than the average citizen? As long long as you aren't a poorfag those benefits are basically free money for life
> not wanting to say "I was an *insert branch here* Officer for 5 years" and suddenly have the moral and manly high ground over everyone

I don't get Veeky Forums

It's a great resume builder for ANYTHING

No answers

How's army artillery? What exactly is it you do? I was thinking something blue collar