/domg/ - Dominions General

Quadbless Edition

Previous Pantokrator

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Lucky_Thirteen
koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/dom3/maplist/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for scouts being eaten by wolves.

First for Aboleth traps.

>Tfw thread died because erryone is playing but me, who can never get a game

There should be an easier way to tell what gems your cap generates before you actually start playing them
I can't go do innovative strategies if I don't know what gems I'll initially have

Lukas do your fucking turn or we're all going AI reeeeeee

I need more time for natgen, and it's not a joke.

Thanks.

DomgNationsGen, i mean.

Just got a Chayot, I never used them before. Do they keep their gear when they shape shift between forms? Also do their buffs persist through changing shapes? For example if I script it to Body Ethereal -> Change Shape -> Mistform will it have both mistform and etherealness?

Yes and yes.

Look Vanheim, I'm attacking Mari for you. Don't question the proximity of my frogs!

Gear only gets lost if they have to go through a form that lacks those gear slots. Note: They'll attempt to return to the form they started the battle in, once it's over, so Skratti, for example, need to go through wolf form, which has misc slots only, if they start human and then go to werewolf over the course of the battle.

Not an issue for Chayots, I don't think, but that's how it works.

Quitting? I guess that means I win again.

We welcome anyone who wish to destroy Marignon. You should lift the siege of my capital and I will pay you 2000 gold and also suck your dick in a non homosexual way.

Can I touch your bum in a semi-homosexual way?

Only if you look like a girl

I bought the game.

Now I realized I barely have the time to learn to play it online again

Well time to get meme'd by ermor on the starting scenario

I wanted to do an onmyo-ji focused strategy when I first played jomon, but I found out quickly it doesn't work out well.

StR really hurts, it means you need 2x the amount of infrastructure (at 1500 gold each province and taking 6 turns). If you end up building that many forts you'll be heavily behind on research, which is a death sentence for a nation without good sacreds/troops to help them through earlygame.

I did switch to onmyo-ji later in the game, and I found that worked quite well. However, at that point you likely have enough research to use all the random paths on Master Shugenja, so there's not a big difference in effectiveness between the two.

That makes total sense; cheers mate

When 48 day turn timers just aren't enough.

Would Jomon be better if Katana had 2 attacks instead of 1?

Obviously, yeah.

"Again"? Former Dom3 player?

Their troops would go from mediocre to amazing, and they have good paths to buff them up.

It's hard to say without actually playing it, but I think that chance would leave them as one of the stronger LA nations.

Could be someone who used a pirated copy while those were available.

What if no-dachi also had 2 attacks. Because superior nippon steel is used in both.

Used to be buttfag

Online is fun, managed to win some but never quite got the hang of it, my victories felt random af. But then it updated like a year ago and I couldn't play anymore

2 attack katana troops are about as good as 2 attack nodachi troops. Having both doesn't make much of a difference.

I was more thinking about the implications for Shinyu and Yomi.

It'd make Daibakemono seriously fucking vicious, that's for sure.

I've seen Shinu do well for themselves going full scales.

Ok I changed the hosting interval to 48hs. This is Sceleria's last chance, they're getting set ai if they stale again. We can't have stalers running the clock to 48h every time.

>Lemuria stops staling

In that case I will be staling as well.

bump

What's with her eyes?

She wants the dagashi.

What's with eyes in general? Pretty fucked up if you think about it.

Can anyone upload the "Elmokki Dom3 Collection” (or just your maps for that matter)? The original link is dead as fuck.

>patala

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Lucky_Thirteen

kaw kaaaaw kaaaaaaaaw kaaaaaaaaaaaaw kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/dom3/maplist/

So I've actually been trying out Nihon Steel with 2 attacks. It makes a lot of units into real murder machines, especially Oni and Samurai, but they still die to bows and xbows respectively.

ede

Can a newshit get some advice?

I'm wanting to play Hinnom in an SP game, but I can't decide on a Pretender. The Son of the Fallen sounds promising but Population Killer seems like it would really fuck up your home province.

You can move him out of your home province.

In general, I wouldn't bother with a titan-style pretender on Hinnom, though, just on account of the fact that you can recruit Melqarts that do that for your.

The cookie-cutter Hinnom build is an imprisoned N9E4 bull with strong income scales. The reason that you use this is so that your giant mage-priests can bless themselves and get regeneration and reinvigoration for free that otherwise requires items (costly in gems and equipment slots). For single player, making giant 'thugs' with this bless will be very strong, because the AI will have issues killing them since it doesn't really use mages very well, and with armor, a vine shield, and this bless, they will be able to withstand nigh-infinite numbers of weak enemy units.

Thanks, user.

How do I make "thugs"?

You recruit a Melqart and give him a Vine Shield. Other gear is optional, because his default armor is actually pretty okay for handling the sorts of chaff you can expect the AI to field against you.

A Kohen can also work, though he'll also need armor and a weapon.

I sent you a PM.

How the fuck does blood magic work? It tells me I've found 10 good slaves and I have less than 10 total. My monthly income is 2. Where do those 10 good slaves go?

They're still being held on the bloodhunter until you bring them to a lab

Yeah, but once you get buffs they'll be murder machines which ignore ranged attacks. It wouldn't help their earlygame xbow vulnerability much, but it gives them a strong midgame and decent lategame that they currently lack.

2 attack katana might even be good enough to let you just rush enchantment for arrow fend, at which point crossbows cease to be a concern.

holy shit

1st for FUCKING BIRDS

YUP

He's just as badass as he looks. The Grigori are arguably the best units in the game. Not listed in his stats is the fact that at the start of the fight, ALL enemy commanders have an MR check or be converted on the spot.

An MR check against 1, but it does sometimes work just due to how dicerolls are calculated.

>4S

Gee sure hope enemy didnt bring a few S1 to duel him that would be... painful... kidd...

If only there existed a spell that would let a mage survive losing a magic duel that requires F2 to cast.

If only there was a way to cast the duel defensively on the first turn before the enemy can act...

>there exists a way to take down an enemy unit that only requires the turn 0 advantage
That's true of literally any SC

We got a natgen turn boys!

Unless you feel keen on wasting half a dozen pearls per army per turn, he can just teleport is on targets without magic duel scripted.

So an expensive raider/thug rather than a SC.

And I staled because i had to sleep and no extensions. Oh, the irony.

On the other side no fucking vd turn fucking ever.

In that case, it's costing your enemy a bunch of pearls per army per turn as a countermeasure. That's a bigger amount than most gemgens give.

I'd call that worth just having it sit at home, let alone having it taking enemy provinces.

What the fuck do you think an SC is? Everything can be countered. An SC is something that can take on an enemy army with mage support that ISN'T set up to stop them.

an EF tart geared for MR and reinvig with a WF tart with a storm staff casting acid storm can only be countered by more tarts

or a bunch of storm generals with holy scourges

Not badass enough to stop abysia though.

>Playing not-EA

There's storm-immune flyers in EA too.

Or 2 golems with flambeaus.

well, for golems I'd definitely value the extra attacks from the scourges over the extra damage given their already high strength. scourges are cheaper too. I was listing storm immune flyers just on account of their being cheaper, and therefore requiring a lot fewer gems to one-shot the tarts

So you admit its impossible without storm-immune flying commanders?
Golems wouldn't be able to reach the tart in time.

How is it per turn? You slap those pearls and they stay there until they murder a Grigori or enough jew mages like Melqarts or Baals. A good trade either way. Try harder.

Counter a kin breaker with stacked mr then smartass.

On time for what? Do you really think acid storm will do that much?
With N9 they can mostly ignore it.

No, that's just the answer that counters them cheaply. Tarts are undead, so any SC with anti-undead weaponry can chop them up. Even phoenix pyre isn't enough for them to sustain through that, since they'll die every round that they're in melee.

You guys do realize that on death a mage with phoenix pyre teleports, right?

yes? I've both used and killed phoenix pyre SCs before.

Oh, you've killed phoenix pyre SCs with 15reinvig and 100+hp before?
Please do tell how it all happened.

WOAW 20 AN DMG AND 1 ATTACK against a 95 hp chassis with 10 base def plus 3 quickness it can self cast plus whatever gear, it will be like 0.01% to even hit. GOOD LUCK YOU HARD COUNTERED MY SC WITH A SHITTY WEAPON.

Meanwhile all the soul slays and blood just DOESN'T WORK.

Mind control. Thank you for your donation.

Or life for life, hell banishment. L4L needs a few casts to fatigue the fuck out of your guy with pyre but it can't miss.

I dropped a dusk elder squad on an archangel that was raiding my stuff. It didn't have 100+ hp, but I also didn't have a cheap item that does triple damage to it.
Oh, you're just shitposting. np then

I did. There's no unbeatable tactics, there's only circumstances that won't allow you to do what you need to counter shit. Mass bane fire kills everything, just like mass blood spells, just like mass GfH etc.

I'm not shit posting your weapon is shitty does shitty damage and has little chance to actually counter the SC. Good luck fucking hitting it with +1 attack when a fire brand gives way more defense.

Also did you fucking miss that it does 20dmg? Vs 10+ regen you need to stay in melee for several turns. Great plan friendo. Stay bad

Post your sc build, I'll post it dying

>Stay bad
Oh, it's aussies shitposting again.

>HOW DO YOU COUNTER MY UNCOUNTERABLE HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION HURR DURR
By having 60% win rate, kid.

>How is it per turn? You slap those pearls and they stay there until they murder a Grigori
You have a pearl on a S1 mage during a fight and he'll use it to cast a S2 spell.

Even with conserve gem usage on.Test it, it's dumb.

So you lose every pearl you had ready for magic duel each time you fight.

Kin breaker: armor of virtue, vine shield, fire brand, amulet of anti magic, starshine cap.

GOOD LUCK.

>60% LMAOF GIT GUD

I'll post it dying in 5 minutes.

>armor of virtue
That kinda makes it fail at doing whatever you want an SC to do. It'll go home if it meets a swarm caster

2hard4u then?

>Post your sc build, I'll post it dying

I am waiting.

>armor of virtue
Are you retarded? A single successful hit with dusk dagger/smasher will send it home. You literally have to drop a single flying thug on it to counter this shit.

What you posted does not function as a SC.

Still, it's definitely possible to finish off. I'll give it a shot myself if other user doesn't show up with some results.

You sound like a person who never won a MP game.

I mean, that's not an SC build in that it literally can't accomplish anything. If you were to ever deploy that in a game it'd fail at taking or holding any province. If you want, I can make a game in which I take the oracle summoner's cap and then poke that with an N1 indy mage, but I think you can do that yourself.

I forgot that I need S1 to summon debug dudes for testing. As I said, 5 minutes.

What, moving the goalpost already? Kek

OK then add a horror harmonica as a misc, there, classic golem shitter.

Mind control against 27MR.
And what cheap astral unit would be so strong and survive long enough in an acid storm?
Or maybe we're going with the assumption that you have T1 with 1000 S1 monkeys.
Just let us be clear.
A tart has 170hp so to kill you need with l4l you would need 3 hits, (or 4 with a B3 mage)
Now pyre takes away less than 50fat, so the tart needs to die 3 plus 1 time to be killed completely.
Now assuming that all your virgins dont die on turn1 from acid storm, you will need to either cast a B3 spell 16 times or a B3+ spell 12 times in a single turn.
At this point I must ask where you're getting all these amazing blood mages.
Of course AI can be stupid and accidentally target the acid storm tart.

For some reason I'm skeptical about how well this will all work out.

No, you kinda failed that one before he did, because that isn't an SC build.

I like the reality fucker thing, actually. I'm using one in ginnug and it's hilarious

My mistake.
Make that 4 hits with a B3 mages and 5 hits with a B3+ mages.
or 16 or 20 hits, respectively.